Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise)
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 30, 02, 1:10 pm   #1

Additional Driver Charge

Do they typically charge for an extra driver(Spouse) ? Any tricks to avoid this ?
golen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 02, 1:26 pm   #2

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hertz 5*
No, most car companies never charge for a spouse or "significant other" (and if on business, a co-worker).

In California, it is against the law to charge for anyone over the primary driver regardless of the relationship.
CalItalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 02, 7:01 pm   #3

Alamo does charge for a spouse, unless they changed this very recently. I think it is $4.99 a day. Of course, it may be against the law in CA and they don't do it there.
mountain flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 07, 8:26 am   #4
Original Member

Is Alamo still charging additional driver fees if the additional driver is your spouse?
Old Oct 23, 07, 1:33 pm   #5

Programs: UA Gold
Two questions regarding this -

1. I suppose that being a spouse doesn't waive the under 25 fee, does it?
2. Will there be any problems regarding spouses with different last names?
horse glasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 07, 6:07 am   #6

Actually, Alamo in LAS just tried to charge me an additional $10/day to add a spouse as an additional driver, even though my reservation showed it as being free. One e-mail to customer service took care of it.

It seems that charging for an additional driver is the latest thing in LAS. Dollar just started doing it too.
betdponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 07, 8:32 am   #7

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Alamo in PHX told me that we'd have to pay for an additional driver so we declined.

I know that spouse driving free is a benefit of Emerald Club with National. Not sure if this is a benefit of other clubs. And if you book through Costco, one additional driver (not necessarily spouse) drives free.
Recreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 07, 2:58 pm   #8

Programs: US Airways, IC Hotels Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recreation View Post
Alamo in PHX told me that we'd have to pay for an additional driver so we declined.

I know that spouse driving free is a benefit of Emerald Club with National. Not sure if this is a benefit of other clubs. And if you book through Costco, one additional driver (not necessarily spouse) drives free.

The Alamo Walmart code also provides a free additional driver in addition to the discount %
brosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 07, 10:18 pm   #9

Programs: SPG Platinum Member, UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Platinum Member Marriott
Honolulu, Hawaii Alamo charges an additional $10.00 per day for an additional driver. The additional charge also applies to a spouse.
breakthrough37 is offline   Reply With Quote