Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Additional Driver Charge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2002, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Additional Driver Charge

Do they typically charge for an extra driver(Spouse) ? Any tricks to avoid this ?
Old Oct 30, 2002, 1:26 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
No, most car companies never charge for a spouse or "significant other" (and if on business, a co-worker).

In California, it is against the law to charge for anyone over the primary driver regardless of the relationship.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 7:01 pm

Alamo does charge for a spouse, unless they changed this very recently. I think it is $4.99 a day. Of course, it may be against the law in CA and they don't do it there.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Is Alamo still charging additional driver fees if the additional driver is your spouse?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Two questions regarding this -

1. I suppose that being a spouse doesn't waive the under 25 fee, does it?
2. Will there be any problems regarding spouses with different last names?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:07 am

Actually, Alamo in LAS just tried to charge me an additional $10/day to add a spouse as an additional driver, even though my reservation showed it as being free. One e-mail to customer service took care of it.

It seems that charging for an additional driver is the latest thing in LAS. Dollar just started doing it too.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Alamo in PHX told me that we'd have to pay for an additional driver so we declined.

I know that spouse driving free is a benefit of Emerald Club with National. Not sure if this is a benefit of other clubs. And if you book through Costco, one additional driver (not necessarily spouse) drives free.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: US Airways, IC Hotels Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Recreation
Alamo in PHX told me that we'd have to pay for an additional driver so we declined.

I know that spouse driving free is a benefit of Emerald Club with National. Not sure if this is a benefit of other clubs. And if you book through Costco, one additional driver (not necessarily spouse) drives free.

The Alamo Walmart code also provides a free additional driver in addition to the discount %
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Honolulu, Hawaii Alamo charges an additional $10.00 per day for an additional driver. The additional charge also applies to a spouse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.