Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philippine Airlines LAX-MNL Business Class Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Philippine Airlines LAX-MNL Business Class Review

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I got a lot of help here when I was trying to decide on what airline to book our MNL trip so here's my review:

LAX-MNL
Business Class
12/19/05

LAX Check-in:

It has been about 10 years since I've travelled internationally and it seesms to me that while "security" issues have been heightened, personal security of private property isn't emphasized at all. We took our luggage to a separate x-ray area, where a TSA employee took our bags and had us stand in another line while waiting. The process was efficient, it only took about 7 or 8 minutes, but while they were x-raying our suitcases, we couldn't see them, and we didn't receive anything specifying we had 5 bags. When they were done, we weren't allowed to touch our suitcases, and an employee (airport or TSA?) then brought our baggage to this sort-of-roped-off area next to the check in lines. There were hundreds of suitcases and boxes in that area, and as each party checks in, they point out their luggage for an employee to retrieve. Again, no tags of any sort are given, so it seems like anyone could "claim" your luggage before you even check-in. Anyway, there were 2 counters open for first-class and business class, and there was only 1 person in front of us, so check-in only took about 10 minutes (7 minutes consisted of trying to point out our luggage in the roped off area).

Security Lines:

I had read some bad reviews regarding the inefficiency of the LAX Tom Bradley terminal security lines, but we had no problems. They seemed typical of any domestic airport.

Lounge:

Lounge was small. Cold sandwiches, crackers, cheese, chips, juice, and sodas were available. I'd definitely advise eating before you go through the security lines. Restroom is outside the lounge, so a little inconvenient but not too far.

Boarding:

Boarding had been announced in the lounge, so timing of arrival at the gate was perfect.

Seats:

Seats were awesome! Recline was about 160 degrees or so, seats were wide and long. It would've been nice if the footrest could be raised higher but that was fine too. Little did we know that not all 747s had the same business class seats though, we had a different airplane on our return flight.

Food:

Yuck! Barely edible in my family's opinion (that's my husband, myself, and our 3yo son). But we saw other people clean off their trays so maybe they didn't think it was so bad.

Service:

Very good. I'd read reviews that flight attendants disappeared after meal service but we had no problems. I must've accidentally bumped the call button in my sleep and the flight attendant politely came to see what I needed.

MNL-LAX
Business Class
12/30/05

Lines:

So many lines to go through....Let's see, there was a security line to get into the terminal, then the check-in line, then the travel fee line (P550, about $10 USD), then the immigration line, then another immigration line to show you'd been through the initial immigration line by showing your passport stamp, then another security line, then another security line before getting to the gate, then the final documents check line. Most lines didn't take too long, but the last security line was ridiculous. While your bags went through x-ray, you got thoroughly wanded and patted by security. While we were getting wanded and patted down, our x-rayed bags were out of our sight and could easily have been taken by anyone in the gate area.

MNL Check-in:

There were 2 first-class/business class check-in lines for all the international Philippine Airliness flights (to LAX, SFO, and Guam) but there was only 1 party ahead of us so check in only took about 5 minutes. By the way, if traveling first or business class, make sure to get the priority tags on all your checked baggage. The customer service rep missed the stroller, and we got all the priority tagged suitcases within 5 minutes of arriving at baggage claim, but it took about 40 minutes to get the stroller.

Lounge:

Lounge was significantly bigger than LAX lounge. Cold sandwiches, fruit, chinese dimsum, soup, and a large variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks were available. Food was not replenished though, once they were out, they were out. 2 desktop computers with internet access were available. Massages were available -- P300 for 20 minutes.

Boarding:

Boarding had been announced in the lounge, but this time, we had to go through the security line and the final documents check line so it took quite a while before we could board.

Seats:

Seats were not as nice as on the outbound flight. Recline was probably only about 135 degrees or so, seats were not as wide or long. Same problem with the footrest - it would've been nice if the footrest could be raised higher but that was okay. In general though, seats were okay. I'm just glad we had the awesome seats for the 17 hour outbound flight. The 10.5 hour return flight wasn't too bad.

Food:

Yuck again! For breakfast, I opted to take only the breakfast breads (banana walnut bread and croissant), and my son just had cereal.

Service:

Very good. We didn't encounter any problems.

OVERALL:
Service A-
Seats A- outbound, B- return
Food D
I would fly Philippine Airlines business class again. The price paid couldn't really be beat , and the direct flights/time of flights were a definite plus. If I were to fly with them again, I would definitely bring snacks again, as the food really was terrible. Also, I'd try to find out if there's a guarantee regarding which plane (seats with more recline) would be flying on which days.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Thanks for taking the time to post your trip report. Never flown PAL, but with legendary Filipino service, I would've assumed they'd be even better than you experienced.

PS--- I'm also a relative newcomer here and i was scoled for not posting these sorts of thing in " TRIP REPORTS, " which I now do.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:46 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Thanks for the report. It seems that you enjoyed the flight overall.
Except for the food. So what made it YUCKY ? It would be nice of you could provide us some information about the menu for the flight. But in any case, very interesting read ^ .
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:36 am

Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
It's always nice to read positive reports about PAL.
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Usually any airline within Asia has sub par food except Singapore and cathay pacific. If you really want horrific food, try EVA or China Airlines, its quite definitely not food they're serving.

On the China Airlines flight, I actually vomited in my air sick bag because the food was so awful. The flight attendants were so great on that flight too and made sure I got compensation. Upon landing in Taipei, they took me to their offices and one of their managers apologized like I was going to execute him or something and gave me a voucher for an automatic upgrade to their Dynasty class. They certainly deserve an A for satisfying their customers.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jef7
Thanks for the report. It seems that you enjoyed the flight overall.
Except for the food. So what made it YUCKY ? It would be nice of you could provide us some information about the menu for the flight. But in any case, very interesting read ^ .
I think I tried to block out the food details, but let me try to recall.

Menu LAX-MNL:
Dinner - The appetizer prawn of some sort, and I didn't even try it. It did not look appetizing. I opted for the chicken, which was rubbery and had an odd taste to it, like it was old. Kids meal was chicken nuggets, which were hard and tasted sort of like microwaved banquet meals.
Snack - Slept through it
Breakfast - I opted for the breakfast meats. The meats were fatty and salty, the rice was okay. Breakfast bread was okay. Kids meal was rolled up pancakes with some sort of apple spread inside it. My son wouldn't even try it, and I didn't blame him.

Menu MNL-LAX:
Dinner - Appetizer looked very similar to the previous one -- some prawn or something that looked like it. I opted for the beef. It was fatty and looked red in the middle. Tasted very bland. My son slept through the kids meal.
Snack - slept through it
Breakfast - If I had to, I would've opted for the breakfast meats but I decided to have only breakfast breads (banana walnut bread and croissants) based on the previous breakfast experience. Kids meal was rolled up pancakes, without anything inside it instead. My son ate the cereal, some unknown to us brand, but looked like cocoa puffs.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Usually any airline within Asia has sub par food except Singapore and cathay pacific. If you really want horrific food, try EVA or China Airlines, its quite definitely not food they're serving.

On the China Airlines flight, I actually vomited in my air sick bag because the food was so awful. The flight attendants were so great on that flight too and made sure I got compensation. Upon landing in Taipei, they took me to their offices and one of their managers apologized like I was going to execute him or something and gave me a voucher for an automatic upgrade to their Dynasty class. They certainly deserve an A for satisfying their customers.

Wow, that is one of the first times I have heard someone say that. I have heard mostly good things about food on Eva and CI. What did you order that was so bad? I am ALWAYS glad I fly Eva or CI to Taiwan because I know the food will be better than what the US airlines are serving. Please give us more details to back up such harsh statements.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by DFW1972
Wow, that is one of the first times I have heard someone say that. I have heard mostly good things about food on Eva and CI. What did you order that was so bad? I am ALWAYS glad I fly Eva or CI to Taiwan because I know the food will be better than what the US airlines are serving. Please give us more details to back up such harsh statements.
Well I'm pretty sure I was the exception out of more people on the same flight who got the same kind of subpar food. I was in their economy class from BKK-TPE. The food was some fried noodles and chicken breast with tofu. The fried noodles were half cold and the chicken breast was extremely dry. There was a sour smell from the tofu. There were others around me who complained about the preparation of the food, which was half-assed at best.

By nature, I'm picky about my food but I will deal on an airplane. But this was too much. As soon as I ingested the noodles and the whiff of the tofu came about me I said, "I'm going to be sick" in Mandarin. The lady sitting next to me was alerted and she lunged in front of her seat over her food, gave me her air sick bag, thankfully, so I didn't hit anyone in front of me with my bodily fluids.

The lady rang for service and told the flight attendants about my food and was like I think theirs something wrong with his food. The flight attendant removed my tray and was also alarmed at the smell. After a few minutes, the purser came to my row, apologized and asked if there was anything they could do. I was like no unless you have pepto bismol, which they didn't. He told me to come find him at the front after arrival so they could compensate me for the mess.

What was funny was I heard the purser berate the flight attendant, not that it was her fault or anything.

I've only heard bad news about EVA's food from my friends. I should've probably left that out, my apologies.

My 2 cents and quite unfortunate experience
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:04 pm

Usually any airline within Asia has sub par food except Singapore and cathay pacific
... and airlines within North America and Europe serve gourmet food, I presume?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Caloy
It's always nice to read positive reports about PAL.
Definately ^ Thanks for the report. I didn't know they had such good (160 degree reclining?!) seats

Cheers
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.

So you have tried them all have you ????? or is this off the cuff remark based upon your one off experience ???? I have flowns many many times with EVA and CI and never once had anything less than far superior than any of the garbage served on american or european airlines.

I find it very hard to believe that one mouthful of food made you sick, I would be more likely to think you already had deli belly and the smell of this food made you sick.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
So you have tried them all have you ????? or is this off the cuff remark based upon your one off experience ???? I have flowns many many times with EVA and CI and never once had anything less than far superior than any of the garbage served on american or european airlines.

I find it very hard to believe that one mouthful of food made you sick, I would be more likely to think you already had deli belly and the smell of this food made you sick.
Make all the assumptions you want. And yeah, I'd be able to get a good deli sandwich made in BKK without getting royally ripped off, give me a break.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
I appreciate it jelijo. Thanks ^ .
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:49 pm

Location: Danville, CA - "When I read about the evils of DRINKING, I gave up READING.
========================

I agree with Steve about the food on EVA and China Airlines. PAL also serves pretty good food and usually gives you a choice. I took EVA in November from SFO to TPE and back and was pleased with their food. I sat in Economy De Luxe... not sure how much different the food was at economy or in First, but ours was very good.
I know I have had worst with quite a few of the North American carriers. It was a great idea to start buying some designer meals.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Now the LAX-MNL flights in winter time won't be interrupted around midnight with a technical stop in HNL. It will be nice to be able to get more sleep.

See Philippine Airlines technical stop: GUM vice HNL
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512759

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.