Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status Match by Chinese Carriers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Status Match by Chinese Carriers

I'm OW emerald through QR. I've recently moved to Dalian China (DLC). There is almost no OW activity here.
Will any of the Chinese airlines CA, CZ, or MU status match?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HanBkk
I'm OW emerald through QR. I've recently moved to Dalian China (DLC). There is almost no OW activity here.
Will any of the Chinese airlines CA, CZ, or MU status match?
No. CZ might do status match but only to frequent F Pax, I think.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mediator
I would generally agree that "no" is probably the answer the OP will receive, but never say never. For example, I was on a CZ flight a few years ago, on which the FAs handed out a limited number of silver cards. I didn't pay much attention though because I had no interest in CZ elite status. (While not a "status match", stunts like this suggest that Chinese airlines aren't hyper protective of their elite programs.)

Last edited by moondog; Sep 29, 2014 at 8:30 pm
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Does it have to be a Chinese carrier? Why not any star or Skyteam carrier? I think some do status matches, not sure who, but search or even google is your friend.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Well, F passengers probably need status the least in reality.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
http://www.statusmatcher.com/company/21299

You may have some luck with China Airlines (A Taiwan based airline in ST.)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tycosiao
http://www.statusmatcher.com/company/21299

You may have some luck with China Airlines (A Taiwan based airline in ST.)
Pretty useless for someone based in DLC. There is only one weekly flight DLC-TPE on CI.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Pretty useless for someone based in DLC. There is only one weekly flight DLC-TPE on CI.
I agree that crediting flights to CI is a really bad idea for anyone who can't reap benefits from CI itself. But, getting into a good *A or ST FFP could be a smart course of action.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by moondog
I agree that crediting flights to CI is a really bad idea for anyone who can't reap benefits from CI itself. But, getting into a good *A or ST FFP could be a smart course of action.
Yes with many airlines outside of the US where "home carrier" upgrades aren't one of the big features of FF programs, partner status can be almost as beneficial. One piece of advice for OP - if looking at primarily domestic travel - unless it has changed recently - Skyteam status won't always get lounge access as it is not a published benefit if travelling solely on domestic itinerary. So a star gold status may be more beneficial if CA flies where the OP wants to.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CI does allow Gold, one level above base (ST Elite), to use CI lounges when flying CI.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
CI does allow Gold, one level above base (ST Elite), to use CI lounges when flying CI.
I'm guessing that the OP wouldn't be too excited about the ability to use lounges on CI flights, but even if he is, other ST FFP's carry this same benefit, have better award charts, and have miles without hard expiration dates. While CZ/MU miles do expire, at least they have awards that are small enough to allow most people to clear out points that are about to disappear.

I don't happen to know which *A/ST FFP's are the "best" these days, but I'm quite confident that CI/CZ/MU are towards the bottom of the list.

BTW, I've flown ~60 sectors on MU this year, and have something like 8k points to show for it. Why? Because the lowest fares on my main routes (SHA-NNG/SZX) rarely cross over the threshold into "mileage earning", and when they do, we're looking at 25%. There are buy-up opportunities (e.g. "upgrade to H class for Y300 and earn 900 km for this flight"); no thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm guessing that the OP wouldn't be too excited about the ability to use lounges on CI flights, but even if he is, other ST FFP's carry this same benefit, have better award charts, and have miles without hard expiration dates. While CZ/MU miles do expire, at least they have awards that are small enough to allow most people to clear out points that are about to disappear.

I don't happen to know which *A/ST FFP's are the "best" these days, but I'm quite confident that CI/CZ/MU are towards the bottom of the list.

BTW, I've flown ~60 sectors on MU this year, and have something like 8k points to show for it. Why? Because the lowest fares on my main routes (SHA-NNG/SZX) rarely cross over the threshold into "mileage earning", and when they do, we're looking at 25%. There are buy-up opportunities (e.g. "upgrade to H class for Y300 and earn 900 km for this flight"); no thanks.
That's when the P-fare on MU comes in handy First class for about $200? I'm in! You can also credit MU's P-fare to CZ, which earns 2 segments in CZ's elite program.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:50 am

That's when the P-fare on MU comes in handy First class for about $200? I'm in! You can also credit MU's P-fare to CZ, which earns 2 segments in CZ's elite program.
I've bought P fares on the few rare occasions that economy was closing in on full fare, but I honestly don't think it's worth the $200+ premium over normal fares on the route. I despise the food (especially the slop that's catered out of NNG), and only some of MU's 320s have F seats that are appreciably more comfortable than reclining exit rows or bulkhead aisles (I have a 100% success rate in scoring these). All of the other front cabins on the route (HO, FM, CZ) are just like domestic F in the US. Basically, it's a miserable experience no matter how you slice it, but $200 spent on the ground helps soften the blow.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:02 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
My suggestion is if you can status match to a Emerald on CI it might be worth the trouble. As getting elite plus level on any of the skyteam airlines like, MU,CZ, Xiamen and CI will give you domestic access to all lounges run by the airlines. Only contracted lounges may not have the access.

But it does mean you can travel on the mainland airlines for short hual and still get some perks.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
This thread has given me some usefu information, thanks everyone for posting!

Moondog, count yourself lucky getting emergency exit row seats on a consistent basis, I am jealous. Air China allows foreigners to sit in emergency exit row seats but unfortunately in many small airports such as Baotou where the check-in is handled by a consolidated airport authority they routinely tell you that CA forbids it. Arguing in Chinese gets you nowhere. Fortunately I have no problem departing from any airport when the agent wears a CA uniform.

But I have to admit preferred seating is not a Star benefit. And even in those small airports CA has gotten very good at recognizing Star benefits, including when they use a contract lounge. Not that the contract lounges are anything great, but that's another matter.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.