Wiki Posts
Search

Air China mid haul business class?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Air China mid haul business class?

Flying PEK to Bangkok next month in business class. 777-200

Any idea what to expect? I've been on Thai a few times on the A330 in business class and was less than impressed (that's what they fly on that route).

Will I like Air China any more than Thai?

Appreciate any help or suggestions on how to make the 5 hour trip bearable.

thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I've never flown CA on the 772 but I have flown in C on the 744 and A333. My last CA flight, I was one of only 2 passengers in C on a 333 and the service was so good that I now prefer CA over TG. I don't think you'll notice a huge difference for a ~5 hour flight.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
I flew CA, PEK-NRT, last July on their 772 in J and found it to be OK. Seats are recliners with no Individual TV screens. So bring your own entertainment. I would say the service on TG would be better.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: various
Regardless of which nonstop you're on (TG, CA, or UL), it all goes by pretty fast, seems a lot quicker and less painful than a USA coast-to-coast flight of similar duration. It's really only a shade over 4-hour flight, but the pilot may have to stretch it out if BKK is experiencing ATC delays, hence the official schedule. By the time you get up in the air, get your drink and meal, then either take a nap, read, or work for a couple of hours, it's all over.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ordflyboy

Any idea what to expect? I've been on Thai a few times on the A330 in business class and was less than impressed (that's what they fly on that route).

thanks!
Expect a bad hangover from the Great Wall Wine they serve to you. That thing is laced with arsenic and rat poop for all I know.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: various
Definitely avoid the Great Wall wine. (The Dragon Seal brand, though, is sometimes palatable).
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Santander
I've never flown CA on the 772 but I have flown in C on the 744 and A333. My last CA flight, I was one of only 2 passengers in C on a 333 and the service was so good that I now prefer CA over TG. I don't think you'll notice a huge difference for a ~5 hour flight.
I've good experiences on TG between PEK and BKK; the food is surprisingly nice. Meanwhile, CAs nonreconfigured 777s are not very comfortable in Y or C. Their 333s and 773s are far better.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:49 am

Some of Air China's 777-200 has refurbished interior which has lie-flat bed in J class. PTV is expected but I've heard reports saying that PTV is not yet installed(you can see the place for the screen)
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by ordflyboy

thanks!
I was on this flight last week. The seats are recliners, good enough for the ~4.5hr flight. They served a Brut before takeoff, but ran out early in the flight. The PTV's were garbage, but they gave out tablets which had a lot to choose from. Food was fine, 4 different options - I asked for 2 fingers of whiskey and they basically gave me a pint glass... all in all, pretty good.

I had flown CA992 in J on the way to PEK from YVR, and the hard product was much better, but the soft was better on CA979.

On the way back home (I live in Shanghai) I flew TG662, and both the hard & soft product between TG & CA is incomparable...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by MKBshaw

On the way back home (I live in Shanghai) I flew TG662, and both the hard & soft product between TG & CA is incomparable...
Thta's not very encouraging considering the products on TG can be variable !
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Thta's not very encouraging considering the products on TG can be variable !
I might just be lucky, but I fly TG a fair amount between PVG & BKK and seem to always get the new A330s and have yet to be TG'd (well once, but it was a +ve swap). In my experience, TG has been way more consistent than AC and CA... again, maybe I have some TG luck on my side!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.