Air China seat selection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:32 am
formerly known as lady1964
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Air China seat selection

Hi,
Wonder if someone can help please. I have return flights PEK-HKG-PEK booked for early next month, I have a confirmation number on my email from Air China and would like to pre-book seats. I can't find anywhere on the AC website that enables me to do this. I have set up my profile and can log in but there is nothing showing for a booking.
The reservation was made earlier today, does it take a day or two to show on AC website or can a person not pre-book their seat? I have an economy restricted ticket if that makes any difference.
Many thanks for any help with this.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
You can book seats (at least on an internal flight, assume it holds for an international one) using the LOT manage my booking facility (I'm assuming your booking was made on the amedeus ticketing system);
http://www.lot.com/gb/en/web/newlot/...ur-reservation

Should allow seat selection - note that many of the rows may appear blocked, it appears as though Air China has an odd numbering system for flights so the plane economy section may start from row 10 or even higher
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:26 am
formerly known as lady1964
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by littlevoices
You can book seats (at least on an internal flight, assume it holds for an international one) using the LOT manage my booking facility (I'm assuming your booking was made on the amedeus ticketing system);
http://www.lot.com/gb/en/web/newlot/...ur-reservation

Should allow seat selection - note that many of the rows may appear blocked, it appears as though Air China has an odd numbering system for flights so the plane economy section may start from row 10 or even higher
Thank you. Yes, it appears the booking was made using the Amedeus ticketing system but someone else made the booking on our behalf.

I've set up a profile on Air China and have also gone through the UK site as the booking was made via that site. I've tried the above link and have tried both the AC ticketing number and the AC confirmation number but it says it can't find my booking. I'm at a total loss so other than calling Air China and hoping we get someone who speaks decent English then I'm stumped.

I really don't want to sit apart from m husband, I know it's only a 3 hour flight but I would far prefer to sort this out now rather than have to deal with it on check in.

Thanks again,
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lady1964
Thank you. Yes, it appears the booking was made using the Amedeus ticketing system but someone else made the booking on our behalf.

I've set up a profile on Air China and have also gone through the UK site as the booking was made via that site. I've tried the above link and have tried both the AC ticketing number and the AC confirmation number but it says it can't find my booking. I'm at a total loss so other than calling Air China and hoping we get someone who speaks decent English then I'm stumped.

I really don't want to sit apart from m husband, I know it's only a 3 hour flight but I would far prefer to sort this out now rather than have to deal with it on check in.

Thanks again,
Relax, lady. Once you get over the fact that you can't control things like seating on Air China, Beijing becomes a more livable place.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I was apprehensive calling for seat selection as well for our BKK-PEK segment. I gave the agent our seat preference and had them reserved in less than 5 minutes.

It was a nonissue.

Save yourself the anxiety and frustration trying to accomplish the task online and give them a call.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond Plus, HHonor Diamond, SPG, CX
yes, call them, their European call center is in Estonia, the lady reserved my seat w/i 5 minutes too. No problem with communication
Old May 30, 2013, 3:15 pm

Is there a way to change a seat selection on the Air China website?
Old May 31, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I've used them a fair amount over the past couple of years and I've only ever been able to do it during booking on their own website or by calling. Never found a way to change online after that point. I always call the Beijing call center as the one in Japan rarely will let you queue for an operator, just tells you it's busy and try later. Never a big problem, the English is sufficient for such a simple task.
Old May 31, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I also called Air China's reservations line to select my seat for an award booking. Had my seat map in front of me, requested the spot, and it was done quite easily.

This was the number I used: Tel: +1-800-882-8122 (Americas, according to the website).
Old May 31, 2013, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I've used them a fair amount over the past couple of years and I've only ever been able to do it during booking on their own website or by calling. Never found a way to change online after that point. I always call the Beijing call center as the one in Japan rarely will let you queue for an operator, just tells you it's busy and try later. Never a big problem, the English is sufficient for such a simple task.
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
I also called Air China's reservations line to select my seat for an award booking. Had my seat map in front of me, requested the spot, and it was done quite easily.

This was the number I used: Tel: +1-800-882-8122 (Americas, according to the website).
Thank you both for your quick responses.

Any recommendations on seats in business? Anyone flown the new 777-300?

For me - with these 2-2-2 configurations - it comes down to one question:
Can the person on the window get out if the person on the isle is lying down?

If yes, window is good. If not, Isle in the Middle is best.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:46 am

Air China Seat Review and Short Trip Review

Flying JFK-PEK-BKK and return in Business

JFK-PEK (New 777-300)

Check-in started around 9 in Terminal 1. There is a separate business class lane. Business class was handled by a Lufthansa agent. Check-in was quick.

Lounge - Air China uses the Alitalia Lounge next to gate 2. The lounge is nothing special. The Alitalia agent almost seemed annoyed that us Air China people were in there. Plenty of soft drinks, coffee, tea etc. Only beer was Budweiser. They had sandwiches in the refrigerator. I passed on both.

Boarding at JFK - Asked for First, first, then Business. (then I am guessing the masses) Overall the process seemed smooth.

Got to my seat - ok setup on the hard product. 2-2-2 configuration. Enough foot space. You can put your computer bag at your feet for takeoff. I think space wise it is comparable to most the 1-2-1 setups, except of course 2-2-2. Better space than UA, maybe not as good as new Delta. I opted for the Window as I thought I might sleep.

Preflight - offered Champagne with a smile, even refilled the glass twice. They also take your order for both meal services pre-flight, as well as your drink preference for both meals services.

We were also given pajamas, amenity kits and the red slippers.

IFE -
There were not any super new releases, but a relatively wide selection. This month (June) features most the Mission Impossible movies and several James Bond movies. Interesting to note that no America comedies are on the movie list. IFE VOD not available during pre-flight... turned on about 20 minutes in. Also, the screen appears to not be HD. So there is enough to keep you entertained, but, not enough to get excited about.

Sleep -
I usually don't sleep well on planes, but, for whatever reason I did real well on this flight... maybe 6-7 hours total. The seat was comfortable for both working and sleeping.

Meals -
First meal (lunch) served about 40 minutes after takeoff. A bit confusing, but they handled it very quickly. I had beef and it was pretty good. Second meal service (dinner) came about 6 hours later. Despite being called dinner, it was more of an express service. It was also pretty good.

Snack bar -
On the front side of the business class cabin is a snack bar with fruit and desserts, as well as some drinks. I did not ask about wine, but, I am assuming it would be available.

Overall -
Expecting very little, I was pleasantly surprised. Service was pretty good. FA's tried to smile at times. No bad FAs that I saw. I would suggest to set your expectations relatively low - think UA business class in a 2-4-2 configuration - and you will be pleasantly surprised.

The biggest negative for me on this first leg was the IFE.... but I knew going in it was not going to be great. if they improved the selection, they could jump other *A carriers in business class.

Got to go now... Boarding soon for leg 2 - PEK-BKK
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:26 am

Second leg – PEK-BKK (See above for the first leg)

Air China 777-200

Seats – lie flat, very similar (or identical to) 777-300. Feet slide into the small cubbie, like the UA seats. IF you choose a window, you can get out, but, it will be a challenge.

IFE – none. There were overhead screens but they were turned off.

Meal service – pre order before takeoff. Meal was acceptable. (I went with rice and seafood.)

After meal service, the FAs handed out water and then disappeared. They made it clear this was the end of all service.

Overall, I kept my low expectations and they were met.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Carry-On Limitations for Coach Pax?

I'll be flying Air China in Coach PEK-ULN (Ulaanbaator) soon.

Is that airline any more strict than usual with respect to the size of carry-ons? Do they permit one carry-on and one (small back pack) "personal item"?
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
I'll be flying Air China in Coach PEK-ULN (Ulaanbaator) soon.

Is that airline any more strict than usual with respect to the size of carry-ons? Do they permit one carry-on and one (small back pack) "personal item"?
I checked my bag just to avoid the fight for space, but, I saw plenty of carry-ons plus a laptop bag.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I checked my bag just to avoid the fight for space, but, I saw plenty of carry-ons plus a laptop bag.
Thank you, 110pgl. I probably will be one of those fighting for space

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.