Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by brabb12
the people I know always go direct especially since they have little children. With kids is a lot more work when doing connections.
I don't mean just those people. I am talking about the Taiwanese population in general, they are very price sensitive.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
I don't mean just those people. I am talking about the Taiwanese population in general, they are very price sensitive.
Huh, that's a strange way of putting it. I'd say most economy travelers are "very price sensitive" by definition whether in Taiwan or globally.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:38 am

Every population is very price sensitive, see the success of Allegiant Air, Frontier, Spirit, Southwest, AirAsia, and the countless ULCC everywhere

The difference you're talking about is if it is SEM or not. SEM = Someone Else's Money - like your work is paying for the flight - that's when you're picky about everything
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But are these high yielding pax or the cheap O&D pax? Taiwanese people often fly based on price, they will even fly to HKG and then to TPE if the price is cheaper. Just because people fly it doesn't mean it will be profitable.
As others have posted, this behavior is not limited to the Taiwanese.

The ONT-TPE flight would be for people who hate to drive through LA to get to LAX - O is ONT and D can be anywhere in Asia or Australia/NZ where CI flies I think CI will start with a good base of existing passengers living in that part of SoCal and hope to get some additional business from new customers who want the convenience. They can also redirect their shuttles to ONT. It will be interesting to see which time slot they use for the flight (i.e. focusing on TPE passengers or transit passengers).
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by username
As others have posted, this behavior is not limited to the Taiwanese.

The ONT-TPE flight would be for people who hate to drive through LA to get to LAX - O is ONT and D can be anywhere in Asia or Australia/NZ where CI flies I think CI will start with a good base of existing passengers living in that part of SoCal and hope to get some additional business from new customers who want the convenience. They can also redirect their shuttles to ONT. It will be interesting to see which time slot they use for the flight (i.e. focusing on TPE passengers or transit passengers).
​​​​​​
for people who are traveling anywhere in south Asia, this is a great alternative for them since usually those passengers are tourists that like to be simple travelers, and nothing is more simpler and easier than going through ONT airport. I expect a lot of good things from this flight and service.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Very weird statement. They are in general "price sensitive" as any other human beings in developed countries.
(I live in Taiwan by the way for past 5 years.)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:12 am

Frankfurt has switched to an A350 for S18. Could we see a 77W for the ONT route?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Frankfurt has switched to an A350 for S18. Could we see a 77W for the ONT route?
If so then they must be pretty confident of getting large loads from ONT.

Also S18 isn't that later than some were expecting?
Some were hoping for January/February 2018.

I suppose in the Summer season from June it will be packed with loads of tourists but all year round would be quite a step.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by tris06
If so then they must be pretty confident of getting large loads from ONT.

Also S18 isn't that later than some were expecting?
Some were hoping for January/February 2018.

I suppose in the Summer season from June it will be packed with loads of tourists but all year round would be quite a step.
77W is not even fully utilized with checks and maintenance in place.

3x TPE-LAX
2x TPE-JFK
2x TPE-FRA

3x Regional/Maintenance
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
77W is not even fully utilized with checks and maintenance in place.

3x TPE-LAX
2x TPE-JFK
2x TPE-FRA

3x Regional/Maintenance
JFK is being reduced to 1.5 planes with the reduction to 4x weekly next month.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
coolfish is probably right that CI will use 77W for ONT so they don't have two separate cockpit crew rotating thru LAX/ONT.

If they use A359 and ONT is less than daily, it can get expensive to stage the extra crews for proper rest time. Whereas using 77W, the crew and rotate from TPE-LAX to ONT-TPE and vice versa.

But that probably means they will have to reduce the frequency at LAX instead of down gauge 1 or the 2 flights.

TPE-ONT is probably ideal for 787-8 but CI doesn't have anything like that in the fleet.

Last edited by bzcat; Sep 19, 2017 at 2:44 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:08 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I read somewhere that the cabin in the B777 was a bit heavy compared to what they were expecting. Not sure if this is true with the a350 as well.

So that might be the reason it was pulled off a few long hauls.

It does seem that the a350 is a much better fit with CI as apart from LAX most other long haul routes don't really need the extra capacity of the B777. JFK could go A350 if they are struggling to make it profitable. Filling the plane maybe but very low yield to do it.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
coolfish is probably right that CI will use 77W for ONT so they don't have two separate cockpit crew rotating thru LAX/ONT.

If they use A359 and ONT is less than daily, it can get expensive to stage the extra crews for proper rest time. Whereas using 77W, the crew and rotate from TPE-LAX to ONT-TPE and vice versa.

But that probably means they will have to reduce the frequency at LAX instead of down gauge 1 or the 2 flights.

TPE-ONT is probably ideal for 787-8 but CI doesn't have anything like that in the fleet.
​​​​​​there goes my idea of plan of ONT getting the a350. Darn

I'd feel bad for the flight attendants if they had to work the L.A. flight, and then go to ONT for the return back to TPE.

I know a flight attendant who does that for JAL. She has to commute to return to NRT after arriving in KIX from the LAX route.

​​​​​​So does anyone think ONT will start this year with service to TPE? Kind of late if they wanna start this year.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:53 pm

I'd feel bad for the flight attendants if they had to work the L.A. flight, and then go to ONT for the return back to TPE.

I know a flight attendant who does that for JAL. She has to commute to return to NRT after arriving in KIX from the LAX route.

​​​​​​So does anyone think ONT will start this year with service to TPE? Kind of late if they wanna start this year.
I don't think so. It is really late to start this route and they are focused on the LGW launch.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
TPE-JFK is likely to be back to 5 weekly or even daily next summer, so I think keeping that as utilizing 2 daily is safer. TPE-FRA is still in the air going to 359 as someone indicated CI has swapped 77W back.

Originally Posted by bzcat

Technically it's possible for them to use A359 if they do not reduce the frequencies at LAX cause it's current rotation for crew is pretty much at it's maximum.

Monday CI 6 > Tuesday CI 7
Monday CI 8 > Wednesday CI 5

...and given 12 weekly some rotations will be CI 6 > 5 and CI 8 > 7.

If they reduce frequencies then likely ONT will be 77W.

...though if I were CI I would not reduce frequencies, instead I would substitute 359 on all TPE-LAX flights and then add 3-4 weekly flights to TPE-ONT as 359. The 4 planes utilizing this schedule would then come from YVR and SFO, with these destinations utilizing 77W instead.

TPE-LAX 12-14 weekly 359
TPE-ONT 3-4 weekly 359

TPE-YVR 7 weekly 77W
TPE-SFO 10-11 weekly 77W

ONT is not that far and going from LAX to ONT is likely going to be less traffic. If it's a night flight then likely they won't hit traffic at all going from ONT to hotel in LA.

Unlikely for ONT service to start end of this year cause it's all the facilities are not ready at all. I think the earliest we can expect is Lunar New Year in February.

Originally Posted by tris06
I read somewhere that the cabin in the B777 was a bit heavy compared to what they were expecting. Not sure if this is true with the a350 as well.

So that might be the reason it was pulled off a few long hauls.

It does seem that the a350 is a much better fit with CI as apart from LAX most other long haul routes don't really need the extra capacity of the B777. JFK could go A350 if they are struggling to make it profitable. Filling the plane maybe but very low yield to do it.
Well still the plane is for long haul and should be utilized for long haul flights. What's the point having these frames flying short-haul flights where it's not economical to start with...

They can easily do SEA with a 77W and it's not that long compare to all other destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.