FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Information for Airlines based in Taiwan
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:31 am
coolfish1103

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
TPE-JFK is likely to be back to 5 weekly or even daily next summer, so I think keeping that as utilizing 2 daily is safer. TPE-FRA is still in the air going to 359 as someone indicated CI has swapped 77W back.

Originally Posted by bzcat
coolfish is probably right that CI will use 77W for ONT so they don't have two separate cockpit crew rotating thru LAX/ONT.

If they use A359 and ONT is less than daily, it can get expensive to stage the extra crews for proper rest time. Whereas using 77W, the crew and rotate from TPE-LAX to ONT-TPE and vice versa.

But that probably means they will have to reduce the frequency at LAX instead of down gauge 1 or the 2 flights.

TPE-ONT is probably ideal for 787-8 but CI doesn't have anything like that in the fleet.
Technically it's possible for them to use A359 if they do not reduce the frequencies at LAX cause it's current rotation for crew is pretty much at it's maximum.

Monday CI 6 > Tuesday CI 7
Monday CI 8 > Wednesday CI 5

...and given 12 weekly some rotations will be CI 6 > 5 and CI 8 > 7.

If they reduce frequencies then likely ONT will be 77W.

...though if I were CI I would not reduce frequencies, instead I would substitute 359 on all TPE-LAX flights and then add 3-4 weekly flights to TPE-ONT as 359. The 4 planes utilizing this schedule would then come from YVR and SFO, with these destinations utilizing 77W instead.

TPE-LAX 12-14 weekly 359
TPE-ONT 3-4 weekly 359

TPE-YVR 7 weekly 77W
TPE-SFO 10-11 weekly 77W

Originally Posted by brabb12
​​​​​​there goes my idea of plan of ONT getting the a350. Darn

I'd feel bad for the flight attendants if they had to work the L.A. flight, and then go to ONT for the return back to TPE.

I know a flight attendant who does that for JAL. She has to commute to return to NRT after arriving in KIX from the LAX route.

​​​​​​So does anyone think ONT will start this year with service to TPE? Kind of late if they wanna start this year.
ONT is not that far and going from LAX to ONT is likely going to be less traffic. If it's a night flight then likely they won't hit traffic at all going from ONT to hotel in LA.

Unlikely for ONT service to start end of this year cause it's all the facilities are not ready at all. I think the earliest we can expect is Lunar New Year in February.

Originally Posted by tris06
I read somewhere that the cabin in the B777 was a bit heavy compared to what they were expecting. Not sure if this is true with the a350 as well.

So that might be the reason it was pulled off a few long hauls.

It does seem that the a350 is a much better fit with CI as apart from LAX most other long haul routes don't really need the extra capacity of the B777. JFK could go A350 if they are struggling to make it profitable. Filling the plane maybe but very low yield to do it.
Well still the plane is for long haul and should be utilized for long haul flights. What's the point having these frames flying short-haul flights where it's not economical to start with...

They can easily do SEA with a 77W and it's not that long compare to all other destinations.