Reload this Page >

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld booking and pricing experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:35 am

No luck for me at AA. I tried to book a AONE4, MPM-DOH-CDG-LHR-DXB-LHR-MIA-LAX-HKG-LHR-xACC and was told no flight segments between Europe/Middle East if starting in Africa. Did consult with the better agents per recommendation of our former favorite AA agent Sarah. AA said that the text in 4(h) that refers to 4(e) 3.1.3 or 3.2.3 is still valid. Of course there is no 4(e) 3.1.3 or 3.2.3 any more. The agents did say to try BA or QR. The oneworld website stated that the itinerary was valid, but hangs up when trying to price it. Thoughts???
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:15 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by headinclouds
No luck for me at AA. I tried to book a AONE4, MPM-DOH-CDG-LHR-DXB-LHR-MIA-LAX-HKG-LHR-xACC and was told no flight segments between Europe/Middle East if starting in Africa. Did consult with the better agents per recommendation of our former favorite AA agent Sarah. AA said that the text in 4(h) that refers to 4(e) 3.1.3 or 3.2.3 is still valid. Of course there is no 4(e) 3.1.3 or 3.2.3 any more. The agents did say to try BA or QR. The oneworld website stated that the itinerary was valid, but hangs up when trying to price it. Thoughts???
I truly wish that somebody at Oneworld would write a set of rules that made sense, saving us from having to parse them like we're students of the Talmud. But for the time being it's not to be, and arguing with the AA RTW desk over phantom rules or zombie routing restrictions seems beyond frustrating. But more importantly, it seems risky given this comment from pandaperth above -
Originally Posted by pandaperth
And by the way everybody - the agent who did this said that QF commented on how cheap the fare was and that "something will have to be done about that".
It might be wise to purchase sooner rather than later
I think this is wise, and I would mentally commit to spending US$125 to argue the route in a re-issue after I locked in a fare that might go away soon. Remember Mauritius.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by headinclouds
... The oneworld website stated that the itinerary was valid, but hangs up when trying to price it. Thoughts???
The on-line tool still has not been updated to handle the new backtracking rules. See my post #335 in this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...ule-sheet.html

Also, the on-line tool has never been able to price up an itinerary that begins with a QR flight.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:26 pm

I wonder...
If I phone the AA RTW desk from Australia, can I then pay in Australian dollars?
And to answer my own question - the answer is "Yes"

And I found the AA RTW Desk to be very efficient
  • I phoned at 3pm Dallas time
  • The agent and I took 20mins to set up my ex-MPM itinerary
  • I requested it be priced up at the ex-Mozambique price, converted to AUD
  • I checked on-line 5hrs later and the itinerary had been priced, in AUD (approx. AUD6000 for a DONE6)

The aa web site now provides a bit of a breakdown of the all-in price:
  • base fare
  • taxes
  • carrier-imposed fees
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: QFF
The last time I used the AA RTW desk, we got into this argument about the then existing Canadian exception, and then the price when they priced a DONE3 as an AONE3 (and still had everything booked as a DONE3).
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I just called to book an exMPM DONE5 with AA RTW desk and I was told that the following was not allowed: MPM-DOH-US-S. America-xUS-HKG-LHR-CPT. The agent said I could not transit Europe as it would be considered backtracking continents. She only allowed HKG-DOH-CPT.

I know I will be calling to change routing and dates after I fly the first legs, so I may just let it stand for now.

The agent did say she has booked about 10 exMPM tickets in the past week. She wanted to know who on FT found the cheap fares, but she didn't believe me when I said I did.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24709603-post2.html

Last edited by skunker; Jul 28, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by skunker
I just called to book an exMPM DONE5 with AA RTW desk and I was told that the following was not allowed: MPM-DOH-US-S. America-xUS-HKG-LHR-CPT. The agent said I could not transit Europe as it would be considered backtracking continents. She only allowed HKG-DOH-CPT.

I know I will be calling to change routing and dates after I fly the first legs, so I may just let it stand for now.

The agent did say she has booked about 10 exMPM tickets in the past week. She wanted to know who on FT found the cheap fares, but she didn't believe me when I said I did.

she set up a pnr for me in 45 minutes. she also handled 5 other tickets my sister booked.. (my pnr expired as i ticket elsewhere.)
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:23 am

And to answer my own question - the answer is "Yes"

And I found the AA RTW Desk to be very efficient
  • I phoned at 3pm Dallas time
  • The agent and I took 20mins to set up my ex-MPM itinerary
  • I requested it be priced up at the ex-Mozambique price, converted to AUD
  • I checked on-line 5hrs later and the itinerary had been priced, in AUD (approx. AUD6000 for a DONE6)

The aa web site now provides a bit of a breakdown of the all-in price:
  • base fare
  • taxes
  • carrier-imposed fees
I have just paid for this ticket by phoning the AA Australian number. The agent wanted to charge me a $60 booking fee, but I moaned and he waived it
Waiting now for it to be ticketed

I decided to pull the trigger now because it is July 29 today and fares are usually changed on the first of the month
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Anyone flown ex-MPM yet? How is everyone dealing with visa issues? Anyone fly in on QR then back to DOH immediately on the return? Is it doable? Were you able to stay airside at MPM? How about JNB-MPM-DOH?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Anyone flown ex-MPM yet? How is everyone dealing with visa issues? Anyone fly in on QR then back to DOH immediately on the return? Is it doable? Were you able to stay airside at MPM? How about JNB-MPM-DOH?
I would be interested in any insights from those flying ex-MPM too as my trip is not until the end of the year. I plan on flying JNB-MPM in the morning arriving at 10:40 AM with a MPM-DOH 15:35 departure.

I did call the Mozambique embassy in DC and they said a Visa is required when transiting MPM.

I have no actual experience with MPM yet and have been unable to find much useful information online, so any real life experiences would be appreciated.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by danger
As I mentioned in post 265 here I've been working with three Mozambique travel agents to see if they can correctly price a DONE5. As that thread is more about ex-CPT, I think this discussion is better suited to this thread.

I sent this itinerary for pricing: MPM-xDOH-CMN-DOH-CPH-xDOH-GRU-SCL-BOG-LIM-EZE-JFK-CUN-PHX-DFW-SYD-JNB.

Putting this itinerary into the oneworld booking tool but starting, for example, CPT-JNB-xDOH . . . and dropping one of the South American segments (in order to, (i) get a price with BA being the first carrier and, (ii) stay within the 16 stops) produces a valid itinerary so I believe the above is also valid.

The first agent has bowed out, it seemingly being too difficult for him. The other two have been very eager to assist and have admitted it's their first foray into the xONEx field.

One has come back saying she has been in touch with QR and they have advised: "The itinerary as it stands does not qualify for RTW product, due to following reason. Only 1 intercontinental departure and 1 intercontinental arrival permitted in Africa". The agent then included this image:

http://imgur.com/a/jvSnu

I went back to her saying the itinerary does indeed have only one intercontinental departure and arrival in Africa. She replied saying she would relay that to QR and get back in touch when she had more.
As others have suggested, instead of going through a TA it's perfectly possible nowadays to utilise the AA RTW desk for one of these bookings. And I have every intention of doing that when I return from my current travels.

In the meantime, I wanted to provide a couple bits of information further to my (earlier) attempts to price an itinerary through other means.

First, after the Mozambique agent came back with the above comment from QR, I pointed out the rules to them (via the agent). Qatar then came back with:
Kindly advise the passenger that his journey should end in the same country he initially originated from. If this criteria is met then the below itinerary would qualify for a oneworld explorer product with fare basis DONE5 as it includes 5 continents namely Africa, Europe/Middle East, South America, North America & South West Pacific.
Obviously, also wrong. So I went back to the agent with the appropriate rule where different start and end points are permitted. In a further sign of its incompetence the agent has come back with the following from QR:
After checking with my supervisor, due to the pricing issue, it is suggested that the passenger changes their departure and arrival points to either JNB or MPM only. Please be as kind to advise which route would suit the guest.
I have told the agent that if QR can't play by the rules then there's obviously no point in continuing.

Second, in an attempt to get a price through the oneworld tool, I had an issue with the tool displaying the direct flights between LIM and EZE. It would only display connections via SCL. I emailed LATAM and, to my surprise, they got back to me within 24 hours. Naturally, they didn't answer the question, but they did offer to price an itinerary for me. I thought I had nothing to lose so I sent them the above itinerary. A couple of days later they reverted with an outrageous base fare of USD10500 and a total fare of USD11508.61.

So I guess the takeaway is QR and LATAM are airlines to be avoided if you're in the market for an xONEx.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal

This priced out at $3,459. That's cheaper than exKRT!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

I decided to pull the trigger now because it is July 29 today and fares are usually changed on the first of the month
I really hope they don't make changes until 01 September
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:07 pm

So is anyone booking an ex- MPM ticket able to transit Europe?
Skunker- are you saying you are going to add it in when you change your routing?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by SDandi
So is anyone booking an ex- MPM ticket able to transit Europe?
Yes. Me

My itinerary is MPM-xDOH-BKK ... ATL-LHR-MAD-DKR

This has been priced and paid for with AA (it has not been ticketed yet, but since the first flight is not until June 2017, I guess it is low on AA's list of priorities)

This itinerary does not run foul of AA's interpretation of the backtracking rule (it has no flight segments between Europe and Middle East), so I had no problems getting AA to price it up.

skunker's proposed itinerary is essentially the same as mine. The only difference is that it heads West from DOH (to the US) at the beginning and comes into Europe at the end from the East (HKG-LHR).
So I really don't understand how the AAgent that dealt with this had the belief that the itinerary was invalid.
(Either DOH or LHR must be a transfer without stopover, but I'm sure skunker would know that and anyway that is not the problem the AAgent had with the itinerary.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.