Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:35 am

So I do not really see how the 2x additional sectors can be of much benefit especially on an AONE. I would have used up the UK-Mid East-UK in First Class and then done a short haul BA Club Europe return, all I could do with the other 2 sectors would be another short haul Club Europe.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:02 am

Oneworld best option?

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about the oneworld Alliance. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about oneworld you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Ambassadors will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers.

We're all glad you are here.
Wow, I'm a real newbie on this so guess I'm in the right place now. I have some questions related to Oneworld:
- having flown long-distance with Iberia, which program should I join within Oneworld if I would like to be able to
1. register missing points for flights that I did before (last 3 months) joining the program
2. allow other family members to use points
3. use points "in the best way" within Oneworld

/br, Sonja
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sonja T
Wow, I'm a real newbie on this so guess I'm in the right place now. I have some questions related to Oneworld:
- having flown long-distance with Iberia, which program should I join within Oneworld if I would like to be able to
1. register missing points for flights that I did before (last 3 months) joining the program

/br, Sonja
Hello Sonja,

Welcome to FT.

What is your location as this may help people advise you which program is best for you.

I am in the BA Executive club which works best for me being based in the UK.

•We can only credit Avios and Tier Points for flights that have been flown within the last six months or up to three months prior to the date you joined the Executive Club.

• You and up to six individual Club Members living at the same address can collect and share your Avios together, giving you more options when it comes to choosing your rewards. You can even enrol your children in the Club. You will all continue to enjoy the individual benefits of Club membership, and continue to earn Tier Points and move through the tiers independently.

• When you have enough Avios, you can start spending them on flights and upgrades. You can fly anywhere with British Airways and our partner airlines to a wide range of destinations. And with a scale of payment options, it’s never been easier to find your perfect flight.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:40 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Welcome to FT Sonja.

I suggest you have a look here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

It will give you some points to think about, perhaps answer your questions, or you may wish to post there.

Good luck.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:00 am

Big one world noob here sorry everyone. I have some JAL points and some CX points--possible to combine them to redeem for the current JAL promo upgrading to Premium Economy?

I also have no idea how to get started or what I need to do (like I said big noob). It all seems so overwhelming so any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:22 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by nycnyc
Big one world noob here sorry everyone. I have some JAL points and some CX points--possible to combine them to redeem for the current JAL promo upgrading to Premium Economy?

I also have no idea how to get started or what I need to do (like I said big noob). It all seems so overwhelming so any help would be appreciated.
No worries, we've all been where you are.

No, unfortunately, combining points/miles from one FF program to another is generally not possible. (There are some third party companies that will do so, but they extract very high "commissions" in the process, making the whole transaction uneconomic.)

To get your feet wet, start by reading the sticky threads in this and other forums. What you need to do is look at your flying (and credit card, if applicable) patterns and preferences, then pick a program that works best for you. While miles/points aren't interchangeable, you can usually use one airline's miles/points for redemptions on that airline's partners - either in the same alliance or in some cases unaligned partners - or for non-flying activities. Each airline has different "earning and burning" characteristics - how miles/points are earned and used, and you'll need to investigate these carefully, as the differences can be significant and expensive (or beneficial) to you depending on your choices.

One important thing to note is that miles/points earning and redemption are only a part of the whole FF business. A big factor in choosing your plan preferences is whether you'd fly enough with your chosen airline(s) in order to reach elite frequent flyer status. With elite status comes various perks - access to lounges, expedited passage through airports, seat selections, upgrades, baggage allowances, etc. - that can be as important if not more important to frequent travelers. So those factors also need to be understood as you make your choices.

It involves homework and research, but the rewards can be very significant, well worth the effort. (Or so many of us think. Of course we can be both delusional and exhibit OCD symptoms in this regard. Welcome to the madhouse.)
Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:31 am

@ Himeno: Thanks for the help in the other thread, I intended to post in here but somehow it ended up there

In case I miss a flight - e.g. hongkong - sydney, can I just book a replacment flight and lose one of my ONE segments? What happens when a critical flight is concerned, e.g. a trans atlantic flight or the 6th of 6 allowed flights in north america?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycnyc
In reality you cannot combine points/miles in different freq flyer program's into 1 program. Some ffp's allow you to move to hotels loyalty schemes, and then into to another airline. But the conversion rate is usually terrible. Much better to keep all miles/points in one program if you do not travel much
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Knusper
@ Himeno: Thanks for the help in the other thread, I intended to post in here but somehow it ended up there

In case I miss a flight - e.g. Hong Kong - Sydney, can I just book a replacement flight and lose one of my ONE segments? What happens when a critical flight is concerned, e.g. a trans atlantic flight or the 6th of 6 allowed flights in North America?
Not without a reissue of the ticket. Himeno will answer better
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Not without a reissue of the ticket. Himeno will answer better
I don't really understand that
Could you please explain that in a few more words in case Himeno does not?

Another question, regarding changes in the routing:

"Changes other than to Date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory permitted at a charge of USD125.00 per transaction."

What is a transaction? Do they charge only 125 USD even when I change multiple flights of my itineray at once or do they charge 125USD for every flight segment which differs then from the original itineray?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:26 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Knusper
In case I miss a flight - e.g. hongkong - sydney, can I just book a replacment flight and lose one of my ONE segments? What happens when a critical flight is concerned, e.g. a trans atlantic flight or the 6th of 6 allowed flights in north america?
(a) Rebooking/Rerouting
(1) Prior to departure
(a) Changes to date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory changes are permitted provided ticketed points remain the same. If the first flight coupon is being changed, and the fare level has increased since ticket issuance, the difference between the old and new fare will be charged. If the fare level has decreased since ticket issuance, no refund will apply.

Exception: For fares originating in TC1, changes to the first international flight and preceeding flights are not permitted less than seven days prior to the date of the first ticketed flight.

(b) Changes other than to Date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory permitted at a charge of USD125.00 per transaction. If the fare level has increased since ticket issuance, the difference between the old and new fare will also be charged. If the fare level has decreased since ticket issuance, no refund will apply.

(2) After Departure
(a) Date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory changes are permitted provided ticketed points remain the same.

(b) Changes other than to Date/time/oneworld carrier/inventory permitted at a charge of USD125.00 per transaction.

(c) No Show requires rebooking at a charge of USD125

(d) If the rerouting results in an increase to the number of continents or extra flight segments previously charged, the ticket shall be recalculated. Ticket may be reissued to any applicable Explorer fare validating all rules of the new fare except for restrictions on retroactive use. Rerouting fee applies when the resulting fare is less than or equal to the original fare. No refund applies. See Upgrading provisions when recalculation results in a new fare basis at a higher value.
If you miss the confirmed flight, you will be rebooked on the next available flight at a charge of 125USD.

What is a transaction? Do they charge only 125 USD even when I change multiple flights of my itineray at once or do they charge 125USD for every flight segment which differs then from the original itineray?
One transaction is one dealing with the ticketing agent. Making 3 chargeable changes in one go is one transaction. Go back later and making another chargeable change is another transaction.

eg, I could go to an airport ticket counter and make 2 date/time/carrier changes (ie, free changes). That is 1 transaction, though no charge, but possible "service" fee.
I go back the next day and make 4 routing changes. That is another transaction, and I'd get charged the 125USD plus a possible service fee.
Go back to an airport counter a week later and make 1 more routing change - another transaction and another 125USD fee.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
deleted

Last edited by pandaperth; Feb 5, 2013 at 4:43 am Reason: Himeno beat me to it!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
Question Absolute Newbie ?

We have sufficient miles in Am Airl. und US Airw. for a trip in and out of Europe and we are also somewhat flexible as to countries of arrival and departure.
There is an excellent connection on Aerlingus ORD-EDI via DUB, but it seems Aerlingus is neither in oneworld nor *A.
In June, AA takes us from the Midwest to Dallas-London(on BA!, no less)-EDI. It is a long way with ornery connections. AA has no connection to EDI.??
Return from Istanbul, Turkey in October is via Germany, UK, finally US.
We are willing to fly into UK only, fly out of Greece, if need be, which, however, would also involve a long way around. I thought Turkish Airlines fly directly to US.
Which tool have I overlooked in order to fly into Scotland and out of Turkey several months later? Alternatively, I could just call either airline, which one is best?
Or we fly paid on Aerlingus and a return award flight?
Thank you.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:59 pm

@Himeno: Big thanks for your help!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:25 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Hakluyt
We have sufficient miles in Am Airl. und US Airw. for a trip in and out of Europe and we are also somewhat flexible as to countries of arrival and departure.
There is an excellent connection on Aerlingus ORD-EDI via DUB, but it seems Aerlingus is neither in oneworld nor *A.
In June, AA takes us from the Midwest to Dallas-London(on BA!, no less)-EDI. It is a long way with ornery connections. AA has no connection to EDI.??
Return from Istanbul, Turkey in October is via Germany, UK, finally US.
We are willing to fly into UK only, fly out of Greece, if need be, which, however, would also involve a long way around. I thought Turkish Airlines fly directly to US.
Which tool have I overlooked in order to fly into Scotland and out of Turkey several months later? Alternatively, I could just call either airline, which one is best?
Or we fly paid on Aerlingus and a return award flight?
Thank you.
US Airways miles can only be redeemed for round trips or open-jaws, so if you did the last option (paid over, award returning) you'd want to use AA miles (probably via London) for the return, since all AA awards are now one-way.

If you have adequate miles and can see availability, frankly I'd use your US miles for this trip. United flies directly into EDI from Newark, and you could return from Greece or Turkey using any of several Star Alliance members.

If you want to use AA miles, you can only get to EDI on BA via London, and you should be aware that BA adds very high fuel surcharges to award tickets, so the "net" price might not be very attractive. You can ride AA as far as London or Manchester (or Dublin from Chicago during the summer) and pay for the last bit, but availability on AA flights might be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.