Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Stopover suggestions for S. America & LAN vs. AA on BA award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover suggestions for S. America & LAN vs. AA on BA award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by Rumeli
Dear Fellow FTers,

I realized that most Fters inquire about JFK,SFO and LAX. My question is, what is the best stopover award journey from Miami to say IPC or Galapagos and then take a one way award trip to Denver.
I have 130,000 miles (for 2 adults) and want see as many places as possible.
I fly economy and do not care about upgrades.

I am cognizant of the BAEC partner issues and wonder whether I should go with LAN from MIA and return with AA to Denver.
Any help will be immensely appreciated.

Thank you!
RM

You will need 3 one way awards

1) MIA-LIM(if you want)/SLC-IPC on LAN 20K BA miles

2) IPC-SCL-GYE on LAN 12.5K BA miles

3) GYE-MIA-DEN on AA 20K BA miles

Total=52.5k for each + fees

Remember, you can use BA miles + $$$ on the first 2 one way awards (20K BA miles cost around 250~270)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:46 am

So it seems you can't book SFO-IPC on BA.com, is this correct or just a temporary glitch? I was able to do it last week, but haven't for the past 3-4 days.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
What's the best way to cover IPC, IGU/IGR and EZE for the BA 80K J award? I'm not interested in a mega-itinerary; I just want to get to these three destinations. Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
What's the best way to cover IPC, IGU/IGR and EZE for the BA 80K J award? I'm not interested in a mega-itinerary; I just want to get to these three destinations. Thanks.
I think you'll have a hard time covering all 3 unless you can use the new LIM-IGR flight (I think there is one) and then IGR-AEP and then EZE-SCL-IPC. You might have to convince the agent why they should let you take LIM-IGR-AEP/EZE-SCL since it's a pretty circuitous way to get to SCL from LIM. They usually allow LIM-EZE-SCL since that is a published routing.

I think your best bet will be to book an open jaw using two one ways and a one-way intra S. America ticket. Book the inbound to IPC on the new LIM flight, book IPC-SCL-EZE-IGR with stops everywhere and then finally book your outbound open-jaw from IGR-AEP-EZE-wherever.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by abcx
I think you'll have a hard time covering all 3 unless you can use the new LIM-IGR flight (I think there is one) and then IGR-AEP and then EZE-SCL-IPC. You might have to convince the agent why they should let you take LIM-IGR-AEP/EZE-SCL since it's a pretty circuitous way to get to SCL from LIM. They usually allow LIM-EZE-SCL since that is a published routing.

I think your best bet will be to book an open jaw using two one ways and a one-way intra S. America ticket. Book the inbound to IPC on the new LIM flight, book IPC-SCL-EZE-IGR with stops everywhere and then finally book your outbound open-jaw from IGR-AEP-EZE-wherever.
Agreed, albeit with the smallest correction. I think that the intra-S. America ticket (25k BA miles in J) should read IPC-SCL-EZE/AEP-IGR. One needs to book partner awards with stopovers with BAEC telephone agents, and since they may not be totally familiar with Buenos Aires' multiple airports (i.e. may only query EZE), it's sometimes helpful if you are able to lead them segment by segment.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Agreed, albeit with the smallest correction. I think that the intra-S. America ticket (25k BA miles in J) should read IPC-SCL-EZE/AEP-IGR. One needs to book partner awards with stopovers with BAEC telephone agents, and since they may not be totally familiar with Buenos Aires' multiple airports (i.e. may only query EZE), it's sometimes helpful if you are able to lead them segment by segment.
Yes, correct. Still tremendous value I think. Going IPC-SCL-EZE/AEP-IGR with stops everywhere probably costs like $750-1000 if booking rev tickets.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
MIA/SFO/LAX-LIM-IPC 40K on J

IPC-SCL-MDZ(if you want)-AEP-IGR 25K on J

IGU-LIM-MIA/SFO/LAX 40K on J
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:21 am

Using the information I found on this thread (thanks everyone) I just booked my first trip on LA using BA points:

LAX-LIM(stop)-IPC(stop)
IPC-SCL(stop)-EZE(stop)-LIM-JFK

Going in April in Business class for 80k points plus taxes and fees.

After booking I went to lan.com seat selector and was able to select/change my seats for all flights except for the LAX-LIM leg. Website gives me the message "Check-in not available for this flight at LAN.com".

Anyone know how I can select a seat for this first leg?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:28 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by fedechat
MIA/SFO/LAX-LIM-IPC 40K on J

IGU-LIM-MIA/SFO/LAX 40K on J
Great advice. What if I don't really want to go to BsAs on this trip, and I just want to focus on IPC and IGR/IGU and try to get it to 80K?

Alternatively, is there a way to get in IPC and Patagonia (PUQ?) in for 80K?

Last edited by LAX_Esq; Jul 28, 2011 at 3:06 am
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by xzolian
After booking I went to lan.com seat selector and was able to select/change my seats for all flights except for the LAX-LIM leg. Website gives me the message "Check-in not available for this flight at LAN.com".

Anyone know how I can select a seat for this first leg?
I called LAN and was able to get my seats assigned.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by $1500forGLD
Alternatively, is there a way to get in IPC and Patagonia (PUQ?) in for 80K?
I believe PUQ would have to be a side trip from SCL. So unless you fly coach, I don't think you can get PUQ in for 80k. I believe you can do the following for 100k.

USA-LIM-SCL-PMC(if you wanted)-PUQ = 40k
SCL-IPC = 20k coach
PUQ-SCL-EZE-LIM-USA = 40k

I played around with skyscanner when planning my trip to SA. Just click on an airport on the map and then all possible destination airports will highlight in green.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fedechat
The AEP-IGR route is in an economy-only plane, so no J possible there. Hopefully, if that's the only one, you can include it on the same routing but just accept "downgrade" to Y on that leg. However, be aware of that in case it creates booking hickups.

I dunno about any of the other legs. Make sure enough of the itenerary has J seating to making using a J award worthwhile, unless booking with a J award makes it possible to get Y seats that you can't with a Y award (but I don't even know if that would be the case or not).
Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:32 pm

How are people checking LAN availability out of Miami on BA? For example, if I go to the BA site and try to book MIA-MDZ for example, it will show the MIA-SCL portion as being in AA and SCL-MDZ on LAN which drives the points way up.

Is there a way to make it use only LAN when searching?

Also, checking Expedia LAN flies out of SJO Costa Rica to SCL, Lan Flight 601. But when I try to put in SJO on the BA site it says their partners don't fly there. Is this because this flight is operated by LINEAS AEREAS?

Last edited by FlyingBoat; Jul 31, 2011 at 4:41 pm
Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBoat
How are people checking LAN availability out of Miami on BA? For example, if I go to the BA site and try to book MIA-MDZ for example, it will show the MIA-SCL portion as being in AA and SCL-MDZ on LAN which drives the points way up.

Is there a way to make it use only LAN when searching?
No, I don't think there is any way to limit the search to LAN only.

You have to search leg by leg and then call BA to actually book the flights you want. You may want to read thepointsguy's series on BA.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by xzolian
No, I don't think there is any way to limit the search to LAN only.

You have to search leg by leg and then call BA to actually book the flights you want. You may want to read thepointsguy's series on BA.
Thanks. I have read thepointsguy articles earlier.

I do search by leg. But if I look at MIA-SCL, it only gives me AA options searching several times through the next year, not LAN. If there were LAN availability, I take it then it would show that option as well?

Edit: I see now for a day where both LAN and AA are shown, so I answered my own question. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.