Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand master thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 3:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I think I might be getting a speed fine...was trying to get off Queen street but the GPS was not reading/getting a signal and we were a little bit lost..was focused on the GPS unit and did not realize the traffic light had turned orange by the time i was in the middle of the street...was distracted for a couple of seconds and by the time we got to the other side of the street, it was already red.

I did my best to stick to the speed limits as best I could...fingers crossed I didn't make any mistakes with that.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:23 am
Suspended

Ended up staying at Crowne Plaza on Albert street...very very good hotel with parking available and just a short walk to Queen;s street...
Old May 31, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by wolf72
Ended up staying at Crowne Plaza on Albert street...very very good hotel with parking available and just a short walk to Queen;s street...
Good! One of my Auckland favourites.

You'll probably be fine with regards to the orange red light but with all things, time will tell
Old May 31, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Here were my preliminary thoughts on what to do on North Island. It's a little more compact, but that's largely because a) we really want to do the alpine crossing, and b) I'd like to be in Auckland for New Year's Eve!

North Island
Dec. 27: Arrive in WLG, spend the rest of the day (from mid-afternoon on) in town. Planning on staying near the harbor, e.g. Intercontinental Wellington (if any other ideas, definitely open to them)
Dec. 28: Head to wine country in Martinborough. Stop at 2-3 vineyards, maybe see if there is one that does lunch on-premises. Afterwards, drive up to Taupo (know this is a bit of a long haul)
Dec. 29: Have a shuttle pick us up to do Tongariro Alpine Crossing. I've read that car parking isn't necessarily safe due to break-ins, and I'd rather not chance having the rental car, with all of our luggage in it, get stolen or broken into. Return to Taupo in the evening for dinner/overnight stay
Dec. 30: Drive to Rotorua and see geothermal springs, caves, etc.
Dec. 31: Stop at Hobbiton mid-morning to go see the Shire. Drive to Auckland afterward (arrive mid-afternoon), eat dinner and see the NYE fireworks. Planning on staying at SkyCity Grand Hotel (any other suggestions?)
Jan. 1-2: Really no plans as of now. I figure we'll probably stay in and around Auckland on the 1st, and maybe take a short drive north on the 2nd to see some of the forests/nature walks.
Jan. 3:: Get to AKL around 7 AM for 9 AM flight to SYD
WLG you could do Te Papa museum, LOTR, walk along harbour and to oriental parade if you don't want the main city shops.

Martinborough stay at peppers. There is a wine centre too in town to ask quick advice on wineries

Tongariro crossing - definitely take the shuttle. If staying within the national park you could stay at the chateau but I'd go for one of their higher priced rooms. Book through their website. They have a nice breakfast and also downstairs area with bar, fireplace in the evening that is quite large. We stayed there, the bed was very comfy but bathroom not renovated. There are some other rooms on website to look at that look like the bathrooms were done. I'd rather stay there the night before the walk than come from Taupo which adds another 1.5hrs or so to your morning. If you're used to walking then you'll make good time and be ready for the shuttle even as early as 2ish pm. (I think a friend and I took the last shuttle to the track but ended up on the first shuttle back many moons ago). If you want to do detours on the track eg ngaruhoe or tongariro "summit" I think then take the first shuttle. Have fun on the devils stair case!!!

Getting to Taupo after your walk should be fine. There are hot pools there like de Brett's and wairakei terraces - perfect way to relax after a long walk!

ROTORUA majority of hotels are on Fenton st including Rydges, Novotel is by the lakefront closer walking distance to a cafe area. There are lots of walks this area too but you may not want to after the alpine crossing. There are the Polynesian pools for a geothermal hot pool, the priest pools have different temperatures, I think around $25 pp bit pricey but nice during the evening to look over the lake with lights or up at the stars.

AKL see my post 354 I think re: accommodation in Auckland.

You could take the ferry in Akl to waiheke island +/- stay the night there if you wanted to get away from the city. The west coast beaches like piha, muriwai, bethells as well. West coast is rough, surf at the first two if the right conditions.

I'm not a fan of actual Auckland city cbd to hang out in, I think a half day is enough but up to you to cruise around town, viaduct and wynyard quarter or britomart for eats and drinks depending on what style you like. One Tree Hill is in Greenlane (30min drive from the city) for park like atmosphere, a good view of the city at the top you can drive or walk up to, see some sheep and cows, people watch ...there's picnic areas, you can take your own and see how it's done locally
Old May 31, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
WLG you could do Te Papa museum, LOTR, walk along harbour and to oriental parade if you don't want the main city shops.

Martinborough stay at peppers. There is a wine centre too in town to ask quick advice on wineries

Tongariro crossing - definitely take the shuttle. If staying within the national park you could stay at the chateau but I'd go for one of their higher priced rooms. Book through their website. They have a nice breakfast and also downstairs area with bar, fireplace in the evening that is quite large. We stayed there, the bed was very comfy but bathroom not renovated. There are some other rooms on website to look at that look like the bathrooms were done. I'd rather stay there the night before the walk than come from Taupo which adds another 1.5hrs or so to your morning. If you're used to walking then you'll make good time and be ready for the shuttle even as early as 2ish pm. (I think a friend and I took the last shuttle to the track but ended up on the first shuttle back many moons ago). If you want to do detours on the track eg ngaruhoe or tongariro "summit" I think then take the first shuttle. Have fun on the devils stair case!!!

Getting to Taupo after your walk should be fine. There are hot pools there like de Brett's and wairakei terraces - perfect way to relax after a long walk!

ROTORUA majority of hotels are on Fenton st including Rydges, Novotel is by the lakefront closer walking distance to a cafe area. There are lots of walks this area too but you may not want to after the alpine crossing. There are the Polynesian pools for a geothermal hot pool, the priest pools have different temperatures, I think around $25 pp bit pricey but nice during the evening to look over the lake with lights or up at the stars.

AKL see my post 354 I think re: accommodation in Auckland.

You could take the ferry in Akl to waiheke island +/- stay the night there if you wanted to get away from the city. The west coast beaches like piha, muriwai, bethells as well. West coast is rough, surf at the first two if the right conditions.

I'm not a fan of actual Auckland city cbd to hang out in, I think a half day is enough but up to you to cruise around town, viaduct and wynyard quarter or britomart for eats and drinks depending on what style you like. One Tree Hill is in Greenlane (30min drive from the city) for park like atmosphere, a good view of the city at the top you can drive or walk up to, see some sheep and cows, people watch ...there's picnic areas, you can take your own and see how it's done locally
Appreciate the feedback! Definitely going to see if there's availability at the chateau in Tongariro...hate taking long shuttles, definitely worth cutting down the time if possible

Any thoughts on hotels in Taupo? I have tentatively booked Beechtree Motel - can overlook the lake from the upper floors, is relatively cheap, and is walkable to downtown. We're already staying at some pricey spots on the trip (Te Waonui and Fjordland Lodge on South Island), so I figured that I'd try and save some money on North Island (particularly in spots where the more expensive lodges seem a bit out of the way). (ETA: Decided that we will just end up doing 2 nights at Chateau Tongariro instead - after a grueling hike, think the last thing I will want to think about is driving, even for a short distance. It will also help to have a hotel room right there to crash at)

For Auckland, I was thinking more of staying at the hotel in CBD (where we're probably close to a lot of the good food as well), but no intention of simply staying there the whole time. My wife will definitely like the idea of doing a picnic overlooking the city ^

Last edited by PsiFighter37; May 31, 2015 at 6:01 pm
Old May 31, 2015, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

New Zealand was AMAZING. Everyone we met, talked to, delt with were friendly and always courteous.

This is the first country in the world I have arrived at where you leave immigration at the airport with a smile..absolutely friendly welcome..

We only spent half a day in downtown Auckland, went across to davenport via the short 15 minute ferry..spent an hour there..

Roads were good and easy to drive on...we rented a car from Go Rental for 8 days...spent about NZ$500 for a mazda 2 and was a good drive.

We had to call them to pick us up from the international arrival hall and waited about 15 minutes. Everything was organized when we got to their office and we were on our way within 25 minutes..

Hobbiton is a must visit.

Red Wood Forest in Rotarua is a must visit.

The Tamaki maori village is a must visit.

The Waitomo glow caves were worth the 45 minute tour and the drive there.

Sadly the weather turned 'south' for us and the rains and cold weather came so we opted to head north to bay of islands and all the way to the north tip of New Zealand and the cape...a mega long drive but well worth the views..

No complaints about anything we experinced in New Zealand.

Will be back again next year to discover South Island.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:14 pm

Appreciate the feedback! Definitely going to see if there's availability at the chateau in Tongariro...hate taking long shuttles, definitely worth cutting down the time if possible

Any thoughts on hotels in Taupo? I have tentatively booked Beechtree Motel - can overlook the lake from the upper floors, is relatively cheap, and is walkable to downtown. We're already staying at some pricey spots on the trip (Te Waonui and Fjordland Lodge on South Island), so I figured that I'd try and save some money on North Island (particularly in spots where the more expensive lodges seem a bit out of the way). (ETA: Decided that we will just end up doing 2 nights at Chateau Tongariro instead - after a grueling hike, think the last thing I will want to think about is driving, even for a short distance. It will also help to have a hotel room right there to crash at)

For Auckland, I was thinking more of staying at the hotel in CBD (where we're probably close to a lot of the good food as well), but no intention of simply staying there the whole time. My wife will definitely like the idea of doing a picnic overlooking the city ^
Re:Tongariro, there is a ferguson motel just behind the chateau also which is cheaper, self contained with kitchenette but you still have access to the chateaus facilities. There is a formal restaurant and informal one which I think has good food. There are a number of other varied accommodation within national park to choose from including a back packers just walking distance from the chateau. I've done that tramp during the shoulder seasons to avoid the crowds. Friends did it during the time you're going and let's just say you'll have A LOT of companions It is doable in sneakers but whatever you feel most comfortable in.

Taupo I've stayed but can't really help. One was a holiday home for a family gathering and then backpackers prior to a cycling event because accommodation was booked out which isn't useful for you. If you're staying at the chateau both nights then this is irrelevant.

On your way to Rotorua you could go via huka falls just out of Taupo. Its a smaller road and not much of a detour from the main road but you could stop for a quick photo opportunity but it is more scenic than the main road. Huka lodge is also one of NZs luxury lodges. I've not stayed. The falls aren't comparable to niagra etc they are short, a bit wide but it is more scenic than the main road and you will easily get back onto the main road to continue. The Huka prawn farm is down that way if you fancy sitting for a bit and fishing for them and can cook them up yourself within the park. But if pressed for time you would likely skip this. You can google the website.

I'll clarify one tree hill, it's actually within Cornwall park. It's easy to get to from the city. It's just traffic and lights that are the hold up. Cornwall park is divided by a major road so make sure you get into the One tree hill side. It has a monument at the top, the tree was cut down yrs ago by some activist. There is parking at the top if you choose to drive. It's a bit steep to really picnic on so the picnic areas are around the base. There is also a small cafe at the base, somewhere within that 360 degree drive.... Depends on which entrance you come into. But it's got a nice atmosphere. Mt eden and mt wellington you can hang out at the top if you like. Mt eden being the closest but Cornwall park has a nicer atmosphere with trees, open grassed areas, some paddocks and various areas to the park. There are free BBQs located within the park too.

There are plenty of good hotels in the cbd. I've stayed at some but not all. But see post 354 in this thread. It depends if walking distance is important to you or parking or the hotel itself, price etc.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
We did the Huka Jetboat on our recent trip and I would highly recommend it. It is a shorter trip, about 30 minutes, and our driver hit it hard! So much fun.

In Wellington, I highly recommend Te Papa. They recently started an exhibit on the Battle of Gallipoli (Gallipoli Campaign) in WWI and it was fascinating. Part of the exhibit is made by Weta and really shows how talented they are. I can't recommend it enough. In Wellington, we had lunch at Scorch O Rama and really enjoyed it.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:45 am

In Auckland for amazing views of the water try Bastion Point/Savage Memorial Park. Might also be a picnic option. Close to the city.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:43 am
Suspended

Auckland would be a very very quiet city without the asian immigrants...it's amazing the number of chinese restaurants in the city alone!
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Re:Tongariro, there is a ferguson motel just behind the chateau also which is cheaper, self contained with kitchenette but you still have access to the chateaus facilities. There is a formal restaurant and informal one which I think has good food. There are a number of other varied accommodation within national park to choose from including a back packers just walking distance from the chateau. I've done that tramp during the shoulder seasons to avoid the crowds. Friends did it during the time you're going and let's just say you'll have A LOT of companions It is doable in sneakers but whatever you feel most comfortable in.

Taupo I've stayed but can't really help. One was a holiday home for a family gathering and then backpackers prior to a cycling event because accommodation was booked out which isn't useful for you. If you're staying at the chateau both nights then this is irrelevant.

On your way to Rotorua you could go via huka falls just out of Taupo. Its a smaller road and not much of a detour from the main road but you could stop for a quick photo opportunity but it is more scenic than the main road. Huka lodge is also one of NZs luxury lodges. I've not stayed. The falls aren't comparable to niagra etc they are short, a bit wide but it is more scenic than the main road and you will easily get back onto the main road to continue. The Huka prawn farm is down that way if you fancy sitting for a bit and fishing for them and can cook them up yourself within the park. But if pressed for time you would likely skip this. You can google the website.

I'll clarify one tree hill, it's actually within Cornwall park. It's easy to get to from the city. It's just traffic and lights that are the hold up. Cornwall park is divided by a major road so make sure you get into the One tree hill side. It has a monument at the top, the tree was cut down yrs ago by some activist. There is parking at the top if you choose to drive. It's a bit steep to really picnic on so the picnic areas are around the base. There is also a small cafe at the base, somewhere within that 360 degree drive.... Depends on which entrance you come into. But it's got a nice atmosphere. Mt eden and mt wellington you can hang out at the top if you like. Mt eden being the closest but Cornwall park has a nicer atmosphere with trees, open grassed areas, some paddocks and various areas to the park. There are free BBQs located within the park too.

There are plenty of good hotels in the cbd. I've stayed at some but not all. But see post 354 in this thread. It depends if walking distance is important to you or parking or the hotel itself, price etc.
I ended up booking 2 nights in the Heritage rooms at the main building (we're not going to do any cooking, so a kitchenette is not really something we would need or use). These are apparently the ones that are 'recently' renovated (and recently = a decade ago, it seems) and have mountain views...so hopefully turns out well! As such, we're not going to bother with hotels in Taupo at all; we may make a stop here on our way to Rotorua - maybe more like if there is a scenic lunch spot.

I still need to look more at Rotorua and see what to do - know it's a big place for geothermal springs, etc. I saw Huka Lodge, but I think we're going to end up spending a night in the main part of town that is accessible. Trying to budget a bit lower for the North Island hotels

One thing I was looking at was the tours for Hobbiton - it seems like you could get a shuttle to pick up from Rotorua - but would you agree that if we're heading to Auckland, the more logical thing is to drive to Hobbiton and just do a very short hop (or none at all) for the tour?

ETA: This is what I've filled in so far, itinerary-wise...everything has been booked unless it says tentative by it...

South Island
Dec. 20: Arrive at CHC mid/late-afternoon (6 PM). Staying at The George, eat dinner in Christchurch.
Dec. 21: Depart CHC for West Coast. Stop in Arthur's Pass for a 2-3 hour walk. Continue on to Franz Josef, stay at Te Waonui for 2 nights.
Dec. 22: Helihike (went with Helicopter Line, since Franz Josef Glacier Guides was already booked up), booked for noontime copter/hike. Possibly hit glacier pools afterwards (tentative)
Dec. 23: Skydive Fox Glacier in the morning (tentative). Drive to Queenstown, with possible stop in Mt. Aspiring National Park. Bungee jump at the top of the gondola (tentative).
Dec. 24: Spend morning in Queenstown before heading to Fjordland Lodge in Te Anau for 3 nights.
Dec. 25-26: Nothing firm planned - may do part of Kepler Track on our own. Possibly do flyover tour of Milford Sound.
Dec. 27: Depart around 9 AM to drive to ZQN for 1 PM flight to Wellington.

North Island
Dec. 27: Land at WLG, check into hotel (likely IC Wellington, maybe Bolton House). Spend afternoon/evening in general Wellington area.
Dec. 28: Eat breakfast in Wellington before driving to Martinborough. Visit 2-3 vineyards, eat lunch at one of them. Continue on to Chateau Tongariro for 2-night stay.
Dec. 29: Hike Tongariro Alpine Crossing
Dec. 30: Depart Chateau Tongariro after breakfast; drive to Rotorua, with possible stop in Taupo (tentative). Activities at Taupo & Rotorua TBD, along with lodging in Rotorua.
Dec. 31: Drive to Hobbiton to visit LOTR Shire filming site (tentative but 95% sure to happen). Continue on to Auckland, check into SkyCity Grand for 3-night stay. NYE somewhere with a great view.
Jan. 1: TBD. Not sure what all will be open / available. (tentative)
Jan. 2: Seaplane fly-and-wine/dine to Waiheke Island. Return to AKL in time for dinner. (tentative)
Jan. 3: Drive from hotel to AKL, departing around 6:30 AM to make 9 AM flight to SYD

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Jun 6, 2015 at 8:01 pm
Old Jun 7, 2015, 6:27 am
Suspended

Good! One of my Auckland favourites.

You'll probably be fine with regards to the orange red light but with all things, time will tell

Fingers crossed! But again, NZ..amazing country..amazing people..spirit and so friendly...nothing but good things and good vibes to share with friends...
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:16 pm

I ended up booking 2 nights in the Heritage rooms at the main building (we're not going to do any cooking, so a kitchenette is not really something we would need or use). These are apparently the ones that are 'recently' renovated (and recently = a decade ago, it seems) and have mountain views...so hopefully turns out well! As such, we're not going to bother with hotels in Taupo at all; we may make a stop here on our way to Rotorua - maybe more like if there is a scenic lunch spot.

I still need to look more at Rotorua and see what to do - know it's a big place for geothermal springs, etc. I saw Huka Lodge, but I think we're going to end up spending a night in the main part of town that is accessible. Trying to budget a bit lower for the North Island hotels

One thing I was looking at was the tours for Hobbiton - it seems like you could get a shuttle to pick up from Rotorua - but would you agree that if we're heading to Auckland, the more logical thing is to drive to Hobbiton and just do a very short hop (or none at all) for the tour?

ETA: This is what I've filled in so far, itinerary-wise...everything has been booked unless it says tentative by it...

South Island
Dec. 20: Arrive at CHC mid/late-afternoon (6 PM). Staying at The George, eat dinner in Christchurch.
Dec. 21: Depart CHC for West Coast. Stop in Arthur's Pass for a 2-3 hour walk. Continue on to Franz Josef, stay at Te Waonui for 2 nights.
Dec. 22: Helihike (went with Helicopter Line, since Franz Josef Glacier Guides was already booked up), booked for noontime copter/hike. Possibly hit glacier pools afterwards (tentative)
Dec. 23: Skydive Fox Glacier in the morning (tentative). Drive to Queenstown, with possible stop in Mt. Aspiring National Park. Bungee jump at the top of the gondola (tentative).
Dec. 24: Spend morning in Queenstown before heading to Fjordland Lodge in Te Anau for 3 nights.
Dec. 25-26: Nothing firm planned - may do part of Kepler Track on our own. Possibly do flyover tour of Milford Sound.
Dec. 27: Depart around 9 AM to drive to ZQN for 1 PM flight to Wellington.

North Island
Dec. 27: Land at WLG, check into hotel (likely IC Wellington, maybe Bolton House). Spend afternoon/evening in general Wellington area.
Dec. 28: Eat breakfast in Wellington before driving to Martinborough. Visit 2-3 vineyards, eat lunch at one of them. Continue on to Chateau Tongariro for 2-night stay.
Dec. 29: Hike Tongariro Alpine Crossing
Dec. 30: Depart Chateau Tongariro after breakfast; drive to Rotorua, with possible stop in Taupo (tentative). Activities at Taupo & Rotorua TBD, along with lodging in Rotorua.
Dec. 31: Drive to Hobbiton to visit LOTR Shire filming site (tentative but 95% sure to happen). Continue on to Auckland, check into SkyCity Grand for 3-night stay. NYE somewhere with a great view.
Jan. 1: TBD. Not sure what all will be open / available. (tentative)
Jan. 2: Seaplane fly-and-wine/dine to Waiheke Island. Return to AKL in time for dinner. (tentative)
Jan. 3: Drive from hotel to AKL, departing around 6:30 AM to make 9 AM flight to SYD

Trip advisor pretty much has Rotorua’s attractions covered. There’s also places like hot water beach (which is really on a lake) to look at and I remember seeing a ride where you go down a river with like a flutter board in front, helmet etc. Just to throw another spanner in the works, going tubing at Waitomo caves is very fun! You get a wetsuit, a large inner tube tyre to float down the river in the caves and make a few jumps, clamber over a couple of rocks but nothing really strenuous while you look up and learn about the glow worms

Majority of the hotel/motels in Rotorua are on Fenton street – not really picturesque. Novotel is down by the lakefront and a side of town where you find a few more places to eat walking distance. Ibis is behind there. Basic but if you need somewhere to lay your head and you’re otherwise out and about its ok.

Agree doing Hobbiton on the way to Auckland makes more sense rather than doing a tour from Rotorua.

Re: South Island, I think its worth hitting the glacier pools afterwards. They’re nothing spectacular but it is a nice way to relax before dinner later.

I have to admit one of the things I’d like to do during summer months is the dart river funyak – mainly from a scenery point of view. It will run out of Glenorchy which isn’t too far up the road from Queenstown. Not really as exhilarating as bungee jumping though (you could do the AJ Hackett one over the river also).

Given your lean towards walks here’s the nz department of conservation website if you haven’t already found it which has info on the parks and walks etc www.doc.govt.nz
Bookme.co.nz also has discounts on various activities throughout NZ although you would be in peak season.

You could kayak milford sound also. I guess 25th Dec will be a tough date to find tours if any but I’d be hopeful for 24th and 26th. I can’t remember if we did a half or full day kayak but I remember being told there wasn’t anywhere to stop off on the side of the sounds to answer a nature call! You’ve probably already read that real journeys is the major tour operator down in the south of the south.

There is also a youtube video clip of the flight from Queenstown to Milford which might give you an idea of what to expect.

If your hotel to depart from Akl is right in the city, you may like to leave a little earlier for your flight unless you're doing OLCI and bag drop closes a bit later.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
This is the first country in the world I have arrived at where you leave immigration at the airport with a smile..absolutely friendly welcome..
Interesting, just arrived in New Zealand (CHC) and had quite the opposite impression of immigration (and all the other controls afterwards): Even though the staff was not unfriendly, they certainly seemed to be very suspicious.
First the passport control officer asked about the background of quite a few details on my landing card (e.g. why so many countries visited in the last 30 days), then someone else checks the card again with more questions ("are you sure there is no soil on your boots?), and finally they run everybody's luggage through a scanner, just to be sure.
I have had inquiries in the US before (probably the worst when it comes to the type of questions), I have had scanning and luggage control in Russia, and I've crossed countless other border controls, but I've never felt so much of a potential threat to the country anywhere else (after a 1976 visit ot communist Hungary).
I should add that I look like your average tourist, am 54 years of age and usually am one of the least suspiciously looking in a group.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

New Zealand was AMAZING. Everyone we met, talked to, delt with were friendly and always courteous.

This is the first country in the world I have arrived at where you leave immigration at the airport with a smile..absolutely friendly

Red Wood Forest in Rotarua is a must visit.

The Tamaki maori village is a must visit.

No complaints about anything we experinced in New Zealand.

Will be back again next year to discover South Island.
Tell me more about these two places. Considering returning to Rotorua

Originally Posted by Travel K

In Wellington, I highly recommend Te Papa. They recently started an exhibit on the Battle of Gallipoli (Gallipoli Campaign) in WWI and it was fascinating. Part of the exhibit is made by Weta and really shows how talented they are. I can't recommend it enough. In Wellington, we had lunch at Scorch O Rama and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm very interested in history and this looks to be on the list for the next visit.

Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
Interesting, just arrived in New Zealand (CHC) and had quite the opposite impression of immigration (and all the other controls afterwards): Even though the staff was not unfriendly, they certainly seemed to be very suspicious.
First the passport control officer asked about the background of quite a few details on my landing card (e.g. why so many countries visited in the last 30 days), then someone else checks the card again with more questions ("are you sure there is no soil on your boots?), and finally they run everybody's luggage through a scanner, just to be sure.
I have had inquiries in the US before (probably the worst when it comes to the type of questions), I have had scanning and luggage control in Russia, and I've crossed countless other border controls, but I've never felt so much of a potential threat to the country anywhere else (after a 1976 visit ot communist Hungary).
I should add that I look like your average tourist, am 54 years of age and usually am one of the least suspiciously looking in a group.

The soil on your boots is very NZ. I'm in your age demographic. Hiked the route burn track a few years back. My husband came to NZ with me but let's just say is not in shape to do a multi day hike. When we were leaving, they looked very carefully at my shoes, and then asked there are two of you and there is only one pair of hiking boots. I said, look at him, does he look like he went hiking. Another time, at a late night entry into Chc, we had a taped up package of a basket we had purchased at a previous stop. They wanted to unwrap and u n tape all the carefully preparation we had engineered until we had a reason able person come and look at the package had oranges and apples confiscated by the dogs. . I guess I kind of appreciate the concern for bio or eco threats that NZ is on the lookout for.

All things considered, it's a great place to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.