Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nauru Visa for US Citizen

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Nauru Visa for US Citizen

I was quite surprised to find out that visa-free/waiver/on arrival is not available for many countries (including Americans) to Nauru. Since Nauru has very sparse diplomatic presence, how do I go about getting a visa before I leave the US?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Stefan Sip
I was quite surprised to find out that visa-free/waiver/on arrival is not available for many countries (including Americans) to Nauru. Since Nauru has very sparse diplomatic presence, how do I go about getting a visa before I leave the US?
Start here I'd say.

For all visa applications including for visiting media personnel, an email request to enter Nauru should be sent to Nauru Immigration.

Email to be sent to the director of the immigration office Mr Rajeev Keerthiyil at [email protected] or [email protected]
http://www.naurugov.nr/about-nauru/v...uirements.aspx
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was quite surprised to find out that visa-free/waiver/on arrival is not available for many countries (including Americans) to Nauru.
You will probably find USA requires a visa for citizen of Nauru when visiting USA. Visa requirements are usually reciprocal.

But the main question is why do you want to go to Nauru?
The "visiting media personnel" quoted above is probably due the people who have tried to go to Australia and are now resident on Nauru.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I saw that link and the media visa wording without mentioning "standard" visa process. Anyway, I will email the person referenced on the page.

Originally Posted by bensyd
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

There are plenty of countries who offer VOA to be at parity. Without getting into an overly political discussion on the merits of reciprocal visas, countries such as AUS/NZ have supported Nauru in aid packages over the years. Thus for AUS/NZ citizens to obtain visas to Nauru seem a little out of place.

As for gong to Nauru, every country deserves a visit, no qualifiers needed.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You will probably find USA requires a visa for citizen of Nauru when visiting USA. Visa requirements are usually reciprocal.

But the main question is why do you want to go to Nauru?
The "visiting media personnel" quoted above is probably due the people who have tried to go to Australia and are now resident on Nauru.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Thus for AUS/NZ citizens to obtain visas to Nauru seem a little out of place.
From the little research I did finding that link, it seems that journalists from the ABC (Australian government owned broadcaster) were accused of entering Nauru on a tourist visa and filming conditions in the detention centre there. That's why there are all the references to media, and why Australians require a visa. I guess NZ was just collateral damage.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Let us know if you make it work. The This American Life segment on Nauru (https://www.thisamericanlife.org/rad...253/transcript) suggested that it has been difficult to visit as a tourist or as media since mid-2001.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Interesting, according to Expert Flyer for US citizens (which is different from what the US Government website says):Visa Issuance:
Visa required, except for Passengers with an entry permit
letter (visa letter) issued by Nauru. Applications can be
submitted via email before departure at [email protected] .
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nauru - Destination Visa

Visa required.

For purposes of boarding a flight, here is what TIMATIC will show the check-in agent. Presume you are a US National traveling on a US passport and transiting a third country.

Visa issuance:Passengers with an entry permit letter (visa letter) issued by Nauru. Applications can be submitted via email before departure at [email protected] .

Additional information: Holders of entry permit (visa letter) must present it at check-in.

Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'm interested in this as well (I am a US Citizen), as I've found that Nauru Airlines offers some interesting connection opportunities from Australia, especially to connect to the UA Island Hopper.

If I ever connect there, I'd be interested in stopping in if possible.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
Nauru - Destination Visa

Visa required.

For purposes of boarding a flight, here is what TIMATIC will show the check-in agent. Presume you are a US National traveling on a US passport and transiting a third country.

Visa issuance:Passengers with an entry permit letter (visa letter) issued by Nauru. Applications can be submitted via email before departure at [email protected] .

Additional information: Holders of entry permit (visa letter) must present it at check-in.

So this means no advance visa is needed as long as you have the visa entry letter from that email?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: OZ*G
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So this means no advance visa is needed as long as you have the visa entry letter from that email?
I went in on a Canadian Passport in October 2017 and the visa entry letter was all I needed.

The letter was asked for in BNE when I checked in, for BNE-INU so make sure you have it accessible. It was pretty quick at immigration!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoto
I went in on a Canadian Passport in October 2017 and the visa entry letter was all I needed.

The letter was asked for in BNE when I checked in, for BNE-INU so make sure you have it accessible. It was pretty quick at immigration!
Interesting...I sent an email to that address a week ago and still no response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.