Best way to do 4 nights in South Queensland

Old Jan 22, 18, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Best way to do 4 nights in South Queensland

Planning out a 2.5-week Australia trip and there are four nights I want to spend in South Queensland. I have the Citibank Prestige Card, which gives the fourth night free on a hotel booking. So it makes sense for us to pick one hotel as a base.

We wonít be renting a car.

Iím trying to decide between:

-4 nights in Brisbane, with requisite day trips

or

-4 nights in Gold Coast-Surfers Paradise, with requisite day trips

Any opinions on the matter?
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stvr View Post
Planning out a 2.5-week Australia trip and there are four nights I want to spend in South Queensland.
I have the Citibank Prestige Card, which gives the fourth night free on a hotel booking. So it makes sense for us to pick one hotel as a base.

We wonít be renting a car.

Iím trying to decide between:
-4 nights in Brisbane, with requisite day trips
or
-4 nights in Gold Coast-Surfers Paradise, with requisite day trips
When are you visiting?
What are your interests?
What will you do in Brisbane or the Gold Coast (without a car)?
Why would anyone spend 4 nights in Brisbane? (off to find a hard hat to use as protection from friends in Brisbane!)
There is a train from BNE airport / city to Gold Coast
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
1. October
2. Fairly generic, with a focus on art museums
3. Not sure. Brisbane has the appeal of more culture, while Gold Coast seems beach-y.
4. It seemed like the next logical place to go. But on the other hand now I’m thinking we will just cut four nights out of the trip and save on precious vacation days. The rest of our trip: Sydney, Melbourne, Uluru, Canberra.

Maybe we will do 4 nights in Hobart instead.
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:18 pm

If you want Museums and beaches perhaps go to Adelaide. Better food and more to do than Brisbane.
Old Jan 22, 18, 5:13 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Brisbane is kind of a boring city. Heaps to keep you busy in the surrounding area, but without a car it is much more difficult.

Gold Coast is beach/bars/clubs kind of place. They have a decent tram so you could manage without a car there a bit better.

Personally, I think you'd find Hobart much more interesting than either. A fantastic art museum there. Lots of interesting day trips (better with a car, but you can do tours).
Old Jan 22, 18, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
Brisbane is kind of a boring city. Heaps to keep you busy in the surrounding area, but without a car it is much more difficult.

Gold Coast is beach/bars/clubs kind of place. They have a decent tram so you could manage without a car there a bit better.

Personally, I think you'd find Hobart much more interesting than either. A fantastic art museum there. Lots of interesting day trips (better with a car, but you can do tours).
I agree with this, with the extra that if I was going to SE Qld I would spend my time in Noosa, not on the GC or Brisbane.
Old Jan 23, 18, 1:21 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
October means Hobart is pretty cold (maybe why the OP picked Queensland). Ignoring comparisons of QLD to other states, the city of Brisbane has a couple of strong cultural attractions due to huge government spending to create them (and legacy of an Expo). QPAC is a world-class theatre which often has shows of Broadway/London quality, and in the same complex there is a pretty good art gallery and a decent but not great museum. Plus a man-made beach along the river. Lots of good restaurants with nice views (e.g. Eagle pier) and the ferries along the river are great for tourists. Definitely enough for 4 days and while not competitive with Sydney or Melbourne it will be warmer and sunnier in October.

As for the coast, Surfers is ok for 1 day unless you like crowds, it is over-developed and on school holidays is deadly (October is safe though). Go a few miles further south, for example Burleigh Heads, and it is much nicer. Inland there is Tambourine Mountain which is great -- amazing difference that some altitude makes in a few km. Check out Thunderbird Park That is the opposite to a city holiday.

Search this Thread