Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Priority Pass lists some other restaurants in Terminal 2.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Priority Pass lists some other restaurants in Terminal 2.
There's a Movida and a Tap House in T2, post security on the Virgin Pier, both aren't great and you could probably get something nicer before coming to the airport.

However, if you wanted something "different" there is a Red Rooster in the food court.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
you could probably get something nicer before coming to the airport.
Sure but I can't get $36 AUD in credit at those places.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:58 pm

Sure but I can't get $36 AUD in credit at those places.
36 bucks isn't going to go far at those places. Probably a meal and a drink.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:46 pm

Will arrive on QF domestic at about 9pm connecting to AA the next day. Will stay at Ibis Budget at the domestic terminal side. Will I be eligible for the QF seamless transfer bus the next day? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by khkchan
Will arrive on QF domestic at about 9pm connecting to AA the next day. Will stay at Ibis Budget at the domestic terminal side. Will I be eligible for the QF seamless transfer bus the next day? Thanks in advance.
No. As you are not a QF customer on that day.
The bus leaves from gate 15 after security, in the secure airside area.
And if you have checked luggage you cannot take that on the QF airside transfer bus. No facility in the QF domestic terminal to check in/drop bags for an AA flight.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I am having a lot of problems with FT on my iPad Pro so here is a second shorter version of what I wrote that may not be corrected since making corrections screws up my post.

I used Uber today at SYD. My first mistake was ignoring the post upthread that talked about the distance from the arrival terminal to the pick up zone. I was depending on Wifi and not data roaming which cost me more in the end.

The second mistake was misunderstanding the app and web saying go to Express Pickup past Carpark 7. I made my way to the large sign that said Express Pickup - 15 minutes. However, the driver expected me to stop at the smaller sign Express Pick up - 2 minutes.

The end result was me paying for 3 phone calls. The total bill for a ride to a hotel in Parramatta was 86 AUD whereas the taxi could have come in at 100 AUD so I would have been better to go with the taxi.

I have not decided what to do about my return to the airport on Sunday which the Uber driver claims is a busy morning and they often leave clients off at that same drop off.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
..I have not decided what to do about my return to the airport on Sunday which the Uber driver claims is a busy morning and they often leave clients off at that same drop off.
You could take the train Parammatta-Central-Airport. But will take longer. And will depend on what time your flight leaves and how much luggage you have.
Or just take a taxi if you do not want to risk Uber.

I guess is there a good reason you are staying way out west and not in the central city/harbour area
Xeno likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 30, 2017 at 3:15 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

I'm going to arrive near the end of January for a 3-night stay before heading to Melbourne and Victoria.

I know the trains are an option since my hotel is near the North Sydney Train Station.

But how far away are the Uber pick up points after you reclaim your luggage? If I have to drag my luggage far from the baggage claim exits, probably not worth doing.

But then again, how far away is the train station from baggage claim?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I'm going to arrive near the end of January for a 3-night stay before heading to Melbourne and Victoria.

I know the trains are an option since my hotel is near the North Sydney Train Station.

But how far away are the Uber pick up points after you reclaim your luggage? If I have to drag my luggage far from the baggage claim exits, probably not worth doing.

But then again, how far away is the train station from baggage claim?
Uber pick up point is the express pick up. A flat couple of hundred metres from the arrivals hall. I'd hazard it's about 100m to the train station.

ETA: You'll have to change trains at Central to get to North Sydney, with a good chance, depending on when you arrive, that you'll be on a packed commuter train. If you have a lot of luggage, I'd probably take an Uber.

Last edited by bensyd; Dec 13, 2017 at 7:53 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Flight arrives from LAX at 8:50 AM on a Thursday morning.

By the time I get through baggage claim and customs, it should be about 9:30 to 10 AM I would guess.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:39 pm

Q: SYD Xfer time Int'l arrival to domestic flight

We're flying into SYD this summer using the last of my AA miles. The AA flight is scheduled to arrive 6/22 @ 7:15 am. We're looking at continuing our trip on QF 5660 (operated by Jetstar) to AYQ that departs from the domestic terminal at 10:40 am. That's a layover of about 3 1/2 hours to clear Customers, transfer terminals, and recheck luggage. It appears that there is only 1 daily non-stop SYD-AYQ, so if we miss the flight, we miss a day at Uluru.

1) Is that adequate time to transfer from Int'l Arrivals T1 to the QF domestic flight T2/T3?

2) Should I be concerned that AA or QF might shift their schedules to make the layover too tight?

3) I read about seamless transfer. If we are arriving on a OneWorld airline then transferring to a QF flight operated by Jetstar, can we use seamless transfer or do we schlep our luggage to the domestic terminal to recheck?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
1) That should be plenty of time. SYD is a real hassle to transfer INT-DOM, but over 3 hours shouldn't cause you any trouble as long as your original flight is on time. As you said there isn't a later flight anyway, so there is not much you could do differently other than spend a night in SYD.

2) Should you be concerned about a schedule change? Well, I wouldn't be concerned as you can't control it. The USA flights always arrive in the AM,that won't change, it may change by an hour, but unlikely to be more than that (and could change to earlier).

Your question is an interesting one (can the QF transfer counter check your bags on a Jetstar operated flight). I doubt it. Typically a codeshare requires checking in with the operating airline, and even though QF owns Jetstar, they operate independently. Since it sounds like you are booking two separate reservations, that makes it even less likely.

In terms of the bus, QF says it is available for codeshare flights, so you should be able to take it. But you might need to take your bags on the bus. " A shuttle bus service is available to passengers that are travelling or have travelled on a Qantas flight (including codeshare flights) or oneworld flight."

This is quite an old thread, but definitely at some point Jetstar passengers were refused bus travel on the shuttle (no mention of checking bags). https://www.australianfrequentflyer....-qantas.32079/
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
1. Yes plenty ot time. It could take an hour to get your bags and leave customs and up to 45 mins to get to T2/3 (usually quicker). Bag drop for JQ domestic is 30 mins, so you can arrive an hour late and still not be rushed.

2. The trans-Pacifics all leave the US late evening to arrive early morning. Timetables won't change by more than an hour I reckon.

3. You are right in thinking you need to make your own transfer, with bags, to T2 for JQ. I have never seen anyone on the QF seamless transfer bus with luggage. The QF seamless transfer desks at the International terminal can't check your luggage for a JQ flight. Additionally you go through security at the International terminal, the bus is not designed for large bags, and you get off within airside T3, from where you would have a long enough walk to T2 checkin. I think easiest with large bags is the coach (t-bus) but the train can be quicker.

A benefit to booking a through ticket, as well as IRROPS protection, is your international baggage limit will apply to the JQ flight (although no OneWorld allowance).

Last edited by konagirl2; Jan 11, 2018 at 6:37 pm Reason: got terminal numbrrs mixed up!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport Click to open the wiki

Is this all on 1 (award) ticket? Otherwise I assume you would have booked a real JQ ticket
QF also flys to ASP Alice and ASP Alice to AYQ Uluru. Last winter (northern summer) this SYD ASP flight departed at 09:40. From AYQ QF/JQ flys to Alice, SYD CNS & MEL

As post 2 (now 373) above, 3:30 is reasonably safe. Does allow for some delay.
Note if you are late for the JQ flight they will do NOTHING for you. A problem for you and AA (if an award).

When it suits QF, JQ is 100% independent and at other times part of the QF family. JQ is a low cost / low quality point to point airline. Interlining baggage is very rare.

As a JQ customer, (no matter what the flight number is) you will not be able to check in at the international T1 QF domestic flight check in area. Doubt you can use the QF airside bus. So you will have to make your own way (and cost) to T2. QF scan boarding passes before you get on the bus. I have only ever seen QF passengers with carry on when on the bus. Anyway is a walk from T3 gate 15 (airside) to T2 (land side) for check in & security.

Please let us know how this works out for future reference.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 12, 2018 at 12:45 pm Reason: Was a seperate thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.