Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKL 14 hour overnight layover

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
AKL 14 hour overnight layover

Hey guys. I'm traveling with my family through AKL - we have a 14ish hour layover (overnight) - anyone have some advice? Hotel options / are any lounges open overnight? We are all traveling NZ in J -

Thanks for the tips!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No lounges open overnight.

For 14 hours I'd book a hotel in the central city. The airport hotels are overpriced for their quality and there is not much nearby. Better to stay in the central city where you can do stuff if desired and get a nicer hotel. Allow an hour travel each way (should be less off peak).
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
It depends what time of evening you're arriving and if you'll have time/energy to do things on arrival or before check-in the next morning: if you have time, I'd stay at the Sofitel at Viaduct Harbour (lovely hotel overlooking the harbour, one of the best in Auckland, and a pool for the kids). I always stay there when I'm in town. If you don't have time, I'd stay at the Novotel near the airport.

Auckland airport is pretty much dead from 11pm. I often get a flight that leaves there at 11.59pm and the last hour is pretty grim. Even the Air NZ lounge is practically deserted.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
We arrive around 9PM - and depart ~1030ish AM...

i will probably check out the Novotel

thanks
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by bibbju
Auckland airport is pretty much dead from 11pm. I often get a flight that leaves there at 11.59pm and the last hour is pretty grim. Even the Air NZ lounge is practically deserted.
Not really quiet until about 2am (until 4am).

There are several flights from Australia arriving between 11pm and midnight or so (8 tonight for example); also arrivals from KUL, SIN, islands (RAR, APW); departures to SIN, HKG, PVG, CAN, HNL, islands (TBU, APW, RAR).
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by footastic
We arrive around 9PM - and depart ~1030ish AM...

i will probably check out the Novotel

thanks
We had this situation in January and did not want to spend a lot of money. We stayed at the heartland by the airport. Not fancy, clean but less than half the price of the Novotel. They have a free shuttle to the airport and are 5 minutes from the airport. Based on your arrival and departure time I would not go into the city, it's a long way out and unless you want a late Dinner not much to do.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:28 pm

Smile This is where we stay

Originally Posted by footastic
Hey guys. I'm traveling with my family through AKL - we have a 14ish hour layover (overnight) - anyone have some advice? Hotel options / are any lounges open overnight? We are all traveling NZ in J -

Thanks for the tips!
http://www.jetpark.co.nz/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.