Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED 1/27] Plats Get Two Free Award Redeposits; Y/B/M EQM Bonus remains in 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[CONFIRMED 1/27] Plats Get Two Free Award Redeposits; Y/B/M EQM Bonus remains in 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd

In addition to being NW PE, I'm also Gold on Delta. I just got the following email. Key points: will still get the 50% MQM bonus on Y/B/M DL fares (i.e.w ill probably keep 50% EQM bonus for Y/B on NW), and upgrades are coming to DL for award tickets.

We're working hard to bring together the frequent flyer programs of Delta and Northwest AirlinesŪ. As a part of this effort, we are aligning the SkyMilesŪ and WorldPerksŪ programs with the goal of creating a single, best-in-class loyalty program for our combined members by the end of 2009.

What does this mean for our Gold MedallionŪ members in 2009?

We will continue to offer several core benefits that you have told us are important to you including:
Unlimited Elite Complimentary Upgrades on all Delta and Northwest operated flights - Delta continues to be the only top three carrier to offer complimentary upgrades for all elite customers
Preferred security access, priority boarding, preferred seating and select baggage fee waivers
Same day confirmed fee waivers and the ability to stand by for alternate flights
A 50% Medallion Qualification Mileage and base mileage bonus in Y, B and M booking classes - you may have noticed in your credentials packages a change to this policy - however we can confirm this bonus will remain
Remember, you can now re-qualify for Gold Medallion status by earning 50,000 Medallion Qualification Miles or 60 Medallion Qualification Segments. And coming soon:
Platinum and Gold members will receive Elite Complimentary Upgrades on Award Tickets
You will be able to link and transfer your miles between your SkyMiles and WorldPerks accounts in early February
Thank you for your loyalty and this summer we will share more details of our 2010 Medallion program, which will offer more choices, benefits and access.

You're the reason we fly,
J. W. Robertson
Vice President - Loyalty Programs
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
They bought off the DL side of the aisle, the NW side is still screwed.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jan 27, 2009 at 12:17 am
Old Jan 26, 2009, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
The bought off the DL side of the aisle, the NW side is still screwed.
If they can be bought off so cheaply, then they deserve what they get.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If they can be bought off so cheaply, then they deserve what they get.
So true. DL has won this battle against the customers as long as the customers are fooled into thinking they have won anything from DL management.

DL management taking a lot away from "loyalty" program customers and then giving back a fraction of what DL management has taken ...... this is not a victory for the customers -- it is a victory for con artists.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:07 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
The bought off the DL side of the aisle, the NW side is still screwed.
I don't agree. I'm still ready for the Shareholder Meeting DO. I think a great number of posters on the DL side are still cautious. A little perfume in the stockyard won't cover up the smell for long. You'll need to forgive us for celebrating DLs very small retreat. Sentrys are positioned and no peace treaties have been signed.

I do empathise with those of you on the NW side. You had a fine a/l with an even better FFer program. It is a shame that those in current managment don't recognize both that fact and the reality that keeping its FFers happy is just good business.

Last edited by ADLFO; Jan 27, 2009 at 12:15 am
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Oh, I'm still going to shareholders meeting. Wouldn't miss it!

Guess I'll have to buy some new stock. I believe my prior holdings were kind of wiped out.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Reduced plat. award redeposit fees; Y/B/M EQM Bonus remains for 2009

Looks like NW just matched the changes at Delta:

-----

Dear xxx,

Here's the latest on the WorldPerks program.
We're working hard to bring together the frequent flyer programs of Northwest and Delta Air LinesŪ. As a part of this effort, we are aligning the WorldPerks and SkyMilesŪ programs with the goal of creating a single, best-in-class loyalty program for our combined members by the end of 2009.

What does this mean for our most-valued Platinum Elite customers in 2009?

We will continue to offer several core benefits that you have told us are important to you including: Unlimited Complimentary Elite Upgrades on all Northwest and Delta operated flights - the only top three carrier to offer complimentary upgrades for all elite customers Preferred security access, priority boarding, and preferred seating Select fee waivers including the direct ticketing charge, award redemption fee, and baggage fees A new three-tiered award system and removal of the Saturday-night stay restriction on Award Tickets giving you more options and choices when booking award travel

Along with these benefits, we will modify the reissue and redeposit fee waiver for Platinum Elite members. Effective March 1, 2009, we will waive this fee for two different reservations per year and collect $50 for each additional award ticket change. Also, the Platinum Elite mileage bonus will change from 125% of mileage flown to 100%.

Remember, you can now re-qualify for Platinum Elite status by earning 75,000 Elite Qualification Miles or 100 Elite Qualification Segments. And coming soon: Bookings in Y, B, and M classes will earn a 50% mileage bonus which also counts towards Elite Qualification You will be able to link and transfer your miles between your WorldPerks and SkyMiles accounts in early February Platinum Elites will now enjoy six new system-wide upgrades allowing upgrades on both domestic and international flights

Thank you for your loyalty and this summer we will share more details of our 2010 Elite program, which will offer more choices, benefits and access.

Stay tuned for more WorldPerks news.

Bob Soukup
Managing Director
WorldPerks Marketing
-----

This brings up an interesting point: Will NW M-fare earn 50% EQM then?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:38 am

Programs: DL Plat/1M, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, HH Gold
Nice compromise on the award ticket re-deposit/re-issue fee, I can certainly live with 2x per year.

I wonder what the timeline for "Coming Soon" is on the 6-systemwide upgrades and M-class Elite bonus...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:49 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by ashi_seattle
Nice compromise on the award ticket re-deposit/re-issue fee, I can certainly live with 2x per year.

I wonder what the timeline for "Coming Soon" is on the 6-systemwide upgrades and M-class Elite bonus...
From the DL side, I'm wondering if PMs/PEs are going to get 6 NW style (read: better) SWUs or just the same lame DL PMUs.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
While I guess very few of us are oblivious to these changes, I think the title of this thread is misleading in that it implies that NW (the new DL) has reduced Platinum award redeposit fees that already existed, when in reality it has merely blunted the impact of the fees it recently announced. The end result is still a significant net loss, yet the threat title suggests that NW/DL have done us a favor.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
While I guess very few of us are oblivious to these changes, I think the title of this thread is misleading in that it implies that NW (the new DL) has reduced Platinum award redeposit fees that already existed, when in reality it has merely blunted the impact of the fees it recently announced. The end result is still a significant net loss, yet the threat title suggests that NW/DL have done us a favor.
Better now?

(Original thread title wasn't mine but one of the OPs, hopefully this clarifies things. And of course we're all limited to character limitations with thread titles)
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:10 am

2009 Program Email

It looks like some of the upgrade questions are answered in today's email.

Exactly how well the "complimentary upgrade" works, and how well the 6 system-wide upgrades work will be a question. But, for this trans-Atlantic flyer, I'm at least happy now to have a shot at some upgrades. I've got to be about 1 for 60 (roundtrips, not segments) over the last few years by now...even with the phantom program last year.

------------------------------------------------------

Here's the latest on the WorldPerks program.
We're working hard to bring together the frequent flyer programs of Northwest and Delta Air LinesŪ. As a part of this effort, we are aligning the WorldPerks and SkyMilesŪ programs with the goal of creating a single, best-in-class loyalty program for our combined members by the end of 2009.

What does this mean for our most-valued Platinum Elite customers in 2009?

We will continue to offer several core benefits that you have told us are important to you including:
  • Unlimited Complimentary Elite Upgrades on all Northwest and Delta operated flights - the only top three carrier to offer complimentary upgrades for all elite customers
  • Preferred security access, priority boarding, and preferred seating
  • Select fee waivers including the direct ticketing charge, award redemption fee, and baggage fees
  • A new three-tiered award system and removal of the Saturday-night stay restriction on Award Tickets giving you more options and choices when booking award travel

Along with these benefits, we will modify the reissue and redeposit fee waiver for Platinum Elite members. Effective March 1, 2009, we will waive this fee for two different reservations per year and collect $50 for each additional award ticket change. Also, the Platinum Elite mileage bonus will change from 125% of mileage flown to 100%.

Remember, you can now re-qualify for Platinum Elite status by earning 75,000 Elite Qualification Miles or 100 Elite Qualification Segments. And coming soon:
  • Bookings in Y, B, and M classes will earn a 50% mileage bonus which also counts towards Elite Qualification
  • You will be able to link and transfer your miles between your WorldPerks and SkyMiles accounts in early February
  • Platinum Elites will now enjoy six new system-wide upgrades allowing upgrades on both domestic and international flights

Thank you for your loyalty and this summer we will share more details of our 2010 Elite program, which will offer more choices, benefits and access.

Stay tuned for more WorldPerks news.

Bob Soukup
Managing Director
WorldPerks Marketing
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ADLFO
From the DL side, I'm wondering if PMs/PEs are going to get 6 NW style (read: better) SWUs or just the same lame DL PMUs.
The DL PMs like myself got 6 of the same lame DL PMUs that I toss into the garbage each and every year going back a good number of years now.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's quite underwhelming, actually. They squandered a lot of customer good will & drove many members to the competition in the process. We never should have had to invest any time and resources fighting these idiotic changes.

And don't forget that NW elites are still being inflicted with:

1. Close-in redemption fees
2. Reduced mileage bonuses for Silvers & Plats
3. Increase award redemption costs
4. 3-tier award calendar

etc.

And no, 2 freebies & reducing the fee to $50 thereafter is not a compromise. It sucks. The two freebies are what we now know as a Jeffie:.
Jeffie = something taken away, then returned under the pretense of a kind gesture
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I received the same E-mail. Interesting verbiage:
Effective March 1, 2009, we will waive this fee for two different reservations per year and collect $50 for each additional award ticket change.
I take this to mean that if we have multiple tickets/passengers in the same reservation, that only counts as one reservation. Do others interpret the same thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.