Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Delta ruin NWA World Clubs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:11 am
GG

So FT won't let me post a reply of fewer than "5 letters"?

Feh!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Sure they will
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Im surprised this has not surfaced yet (although it may have without me noticing), but it appears that some clubs are moving away from the self-serve bars. The IAD lounge has switched to DL glassware and has removed all self-serve alcohol. Now, it is served by a bartender behind the old customer service desk in the back. Looks really make-shift in my opinion.

The old NWA mugs are still there, but the NWA logo has been stripped off leaving bare white mugs with only NORTHWEST written on the bottom. The typical NW snacks are in place, no DL fare as of yet. Is this the same that is happening at other clubs across the system? Havent been to any other WCs since March 30.
WC offerings are so much better than CRC offerings...I hope they stick with the WC program (better food, no t-mobile crap etc)
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GG
So FT won't let me post a reply of fewer than "5 letters"?

Feh!
No
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:44 pm

I'll be the first to criticize domestic airlines' lounge offerings, but seriously, CRCs aren't really that bad. The food (at least a breakfast and late afternoon) is pretty good, drinks are free, and they're usually relatively comfortable. In terms of NW lounges, the food isn't really that much better (and sometimes, for example those awful cookies, worse) and the drinks are worse. Some of the facilities are quite nice supposedly (haven't been to any of them as I fly DL and generally through DL hubs), but it's not like DL is going to replace the old NW facilities with bad ones. I will admit that the NW free wifi is much improved, but we don't even know for sure what they're going to do w/ the wifi.

Just relax for the time being. It is very possible that DL will improve the whole system. If nothing else, they can close some of the very mediocre and redundant lounges (like the LGA WorldClub) and focus resources on the remaining ones.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by aa4ever
Just relax for the time being. It is very possible that DL will improve the whole system. If nothing else, they can close some of the very mediocre and redundant lounges (like the LGA WorldClub) and focus resources on the remaining ones.
I was just in the SLC SkyLounge yesterday and the only "food" offerings were pretzel balls and biscoff cookies. I'll take the cookies, cheese, crackers, pretzels, carrots, and celery any day over these measly offerings. In terms of snacks, the best DL lounge is still inferior to NW's worst lounge, in my experiences.

On a positive note, I was told by a lounge rep that the T-Mobile card system in SLC will terminate in a few weeks and everyone in the club will be able to access the internet. ^
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone comment if all lounges will have bartenders now? and if all lounges have lost nwa-branded mugs/plates?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by aa4ever
I'll be the first to criticize domestic airlines' lounge offerings, but seriously, CRCs aren't really that bad. The food (at least a breakfast and late afternoon) is pretty good, drinks are free, and they're usually relatively comfortable. In terms of NW lounges, the food isn't really that much better (and sometimes, for example those awful cookies, worse) and the drinks are worse. Some of the facilities are quite nice supposedly (haven't been to any of them as I fly DL and generally through DL hubs), but it's not like DL is going to replace the old NW facilities with bad ones. I will admit that the NW free wifi is much improved, but we don't even know for sure what they're going to do w/ the wifi.

I see you're Platinum on AA and if we do a comparison of either WC or CRC vs AC anyone would jump all over CRC or WC.

BUT, if we compare WC vs CRC it would be in disbelieve that anyone would choose a CRC. I'm sure there are exceptional clubs in either program but in the majority of them the CRC's just are lousy.

Unless I'm missing something I've never been to a CRC that had more than biscouts with chocolate spread, and pretzel type of mix. Even breakfast offers minor muffins, etc.

WC has sort of a full bagel/english muffins type breakfast with several types of cheese and peanut butter,granola bars, yogurt. Their midday and evenings have cheese, crackers, carrots, fruits, cookies (three types and in MKE one even has M&M's inside).

Even though both are free I surely like the self serve bars. I rarely have a non soft drink and hate waiting for a bartender for a soda. I guess if I did want a drink it would be nice to control how much "juice" I wanted to add.

Being ST Elite + (BTW with UA or AA you only need middle tier) I can get into international lounges and with CO going away along with CRC and WC being the same I do not have a desire to buy a membership since I have the Platinum Amex.

It is also nice that AA has been added to the Amex benefit since I've started flying them again.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:13 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I was just in the SLC SkyLounge yesterday and the only "food" offerings were pretzel balls and biscoff cookies. I'll take the cookies, cheese, crackers, pretzels, carrots, and celery any day over these measly offerings. In terms of snacks, the best DL lounge is still inferior to NW's worst lounge, in my experiences.
Apparently CRC's have a better food selection but only certain hours of the day. I prefer the WC approach to give breakfast choices until 11am and lots of other options as mentioned above until club closing.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
On a positive note, I was told by a lounge rep that the T-Mobile card system in SLC will terminate in a few weeks and everyone in the club will be able to access the internet. ^
I am hoping but all I can say is "seeing is believing." With almost across-the-board taking the "worst of each airline" I will not be convinced of club-wide free wifi until I see it, regardless of how you enter the club, even full fare business class, ST Elite + or AmEx platinum.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Can anyone comment if all lounges will have bartenders now? and if all lounges have lost nwa-branded mugs/plates?
Sources tell me they are moving to a self-serve model where legal.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 7:58 pm

I asked that question in the WC at MSP and was told alcohol would remain self serve.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
On a positive note, I was told by a lounge rep that the T-Mobile card system in SLC will terminate in a few weeks and everyone in the club will be able to access the internet.
I ws told the same thing in the CRC (old BE) lounge in ATL councouse E
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thepla
BUT, if we compare WC vs CRC it would be in disbelieve that anyone would choose a CRC. I'm sure there are exceptional clubs in either program but in the majority of them the CRC's just are lousy.
The WC are better then CRC, but they do nto have enough of them. How many non hub/ gateway cities have a WC? I can think of 4 that are only domestic. CRC on the other hand I can name tons. Any large airport has one, that is after they closed several. So it comes down to Quality versus Quanity. and my vote is for the CRC, since I rather sit in a CRC versus a terminal.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
The WC are better then CRC, but they do nto have enough of them. How many non hub/ gateway cities have a WC? I can think of 4 that are only domestic. CRC on the other hand I can name tons. Any large airport has one, that is after they closed several. So it comes down to Quality versus Quanity. and my vote is for the CRC, since I rather sit in a CRC versus a terminal.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Sources tell me they are moving to a self-serve model where legal.
This is awesome news! Is this legal in any of the hubs? Does anyone know what airports would allow this? Obviously all former WC locations that had self-serve! But, for some reason, the IAD club switched to bartenders months ago??!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:51 pm

I see you're Platinum on AA and if we do a comparison of either WC or CRC vs AC anyone would jump all over CRC or WC.

Unless I'm missing something I've never been to a CRC that had more than biscouts with chocolate spread, and pretzel type of mix. Even breakfast offers minor muffins, etc.

WC has sort of a full bagel/english muffins type breakfast with several types of cheese and peanut butter,granola bars, yogurt. Their midday and evenings have cheese, crackers, carrots, fruits, cookies (three types and in MKE one even has M&M's inside).

Even though both are free I surely like the self serve bars. I rarely have a non soft drink and hate waiting for a bartender for a soda. I guess if I did want a drink it would be nice to control how much "juice" I wanted to add.

Being ST Elite + (BTW with UA or AA you only need middle tier) I can get into international lounges and with CO going away along with CRC and WC being the same I do not have a desire to buy a membership since I have the Platinum Amex.

It is also nice that AA has been added to the Amex benefit since I've started flying them again.
I'm actually doing most of my domestic flying (RDU-LGA) on DL now b/c prices have been so much better recently (as in half the price when I book). I wouldn't say it's as clear a win for CRC/WC over AC as you say. While the complimentary food and drink options are better at the DL/NW options, the ACs have much nicer facilities, in my experience. I find them to be much more modern, more power plugs, and in better condition.

I didn't realize that NW always had the more expanded food options out; I've only been in one at the time when DL has expanded offerings out. I always assumed it was the same. That does get me to swing towards NW on the food issue, I'll admit. That being said, during the cocktail hour and breakfast, I don't think there's a clear winner. Plus, I like the choices DL has better than the NW ones (again, only during the hours when the selection is expanded).

I too also use the Amex Platinum to access lounges. Much, much more convenient for me as I fly both DL and AA to a decent extent (more segments on DL, but all 500 miles).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.