Wiki Posts
Search

Ex-EU from Oslo. Wisdom of experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Sky Team Silver, Star Alliance Silver
Ex-EU from Oslo. Wisdom of experience?

Just booked an astoundingly good Ex-EU rate on a holiday flight out of OSL in CW. Never been to Oslo, so I'm spending two nights and a day there. Am on the 7:25am OSL->LHR and am therefore considering airport hotels... unless somebody has a better idea for an extended OSL turnaround?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:04 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
This is best posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-countries-482/

If you're there for a few days I would stay in the city at least for the first night, take the train from the airport.
If you want to stay at the airport, try the Radisson Blu or Park Inn.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire mainly
I would choose the Radisson Blu Oslo Airport for the second night as you are leaving rather early. Very nice property with modern rooms. Oslo is a very beautiful city and I would stay in the center for the first night. There are a few Radisson properties to choose from which are rather good. The Radisson Blu Scandinavia or Plaza (by the railway station) are both excellent choices.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pointtaken
I would choose the Radisson Blu Oslo Airport for the second night as you are leaving rather early. Very nice property with modern rooms. Oslo is a very beautiful city and I would stay in the center for the first night. There are a few Radisson properties to choose from which are rather good. The Radisson Blu Scandinavia or Plaza (by the railway station) are both excellent choices.
I stayed at the Blu Oslo Airport a few years back and thought it was pretty poor with some rather tired rooms. They may have been updated but I've heard that the Park Inn is better.

Depending what time you fly in, you might just want to spend two nights at the airport and nip into town & back on the train.

But I'm sure the question we all want to know the answer to is just how good was the fare that you got????
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:42 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
We are here now waiting for flight to BKK WITH Qatar. I just booked airport hotel. A lot cheaper and easier. Express train into city

Word of warning food here very expensive

Starbucks. 2 coffee egg sandwich and muffin £20

Large pizza and water £30

This is airport prices

We stayed at Park Inn nice hotel quiet rooms and view of runway
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Another vote for Park Inn - used last year and got the 7.25am flight, it is a five minute walk to terminal and you're in the lounge in no time for a quick coffee !
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Well two nights in Oslo will wipe out any savings!

My suggestion based on just doing this last week would be stay in the centre on your first night and then at the Radisson on the night before an early flight. You can see some room photos on my TR, rooms we stayed in were refreshed. This also details my hotel in the centre for my return which was more than adequate, cheap at 5 months out and only a 5 minute walk from the station.

Return fare on the express train is £30 so you don't want to be gong backwards and forwards all the time.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Sky Team Silver, Star Alliance Silver
Thanks, all. Going with the prevailing advice and staying in Oslo the first night, and at the airport the second night. DaveNCL's point about the cost of the train is well taken. @SwissTony, my open jaw in CW OSL-SEA and IAD-OSL came to NOK 18748.00 or approximately £1500. Same itinerary out of LHR was £4500. Allow me the bliss of my own ignorance if I haven't done well for myself
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Return fare on the express train is £30 so you don't want to be gong backwards and forwards all the time.
Some relative saving may be achievable by using the regional trains instead of Flytoget. NOK92 one-way, NOK190 for a 24h ticket.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
If you happen to be in Oslo on a Sunday I can highly recommend the Grand Cafe for Sunday brunch - in addition to great food, it's also the best value meal in Norway!! (It was a while ago that we visited the city, but I have fond memories)

For the airport we've stayed at Park Inn on a previous ex-EU (very good) and another stay at Radisson Blu coming up soon. Oslo itself is extremely expensive, and the airport prices quoted above are similar to the city from my experience.

Have a fun trip!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Buzzz
Thanks, all. Going with the prevailing advice and staying in Oslo the first night, and at the airport the second night. DaveNCL's point about the cost of the train is well taken. @SwissTony, my open jaw in CW OSL-SEA and IAD-OSL came to NOK 18748.00 or approximately £1500. Same itinerary out of LHR was £4500. Allow me the bliss of my own ignorance if I haven't done well for myself
Ah, OK. Not a bad price for sure, but nothing I feel i'm missing out on.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by pointtaken
Be wary of the Radisson. On my last stay, a conference moved from their conference room to the bar at 10pm and stayed there until after the bar "closed" at 2am. The upgraded room had internal windows overlooking the bar and the noise made sleep impossible.

It was so bad that I actually got dressed and went downstairs to complain. The net result was that the manager accepted it was a problem and waived the not inconsiderable room charge. That was nice, but I would have rather have had 6 hours sleep before my 7:30am flight.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:34 am

The radisson is the most convenient as it can be reached by a 2min walk when exiting OSL at arrival level and heading towards the right. The hotel itself is nothing special, and a rate >150 Euros per night (which they often charge) is expensive for what you get. All hotels in Norway have breakfast included in the rate. Gold members get a business room. Dont have any experience with the bar or restaurant there. If you dont mind a bus ride, Thon has several hotels 5-10mins away from the terminal by bus. Rooms are comparable to Radisson, but breakfast is inferior.

The airport express is very reliable and takes <20mins to Oslo S (the central station). On the way back it arrives directly at the airport and with a full train and people moving up the stairs, you will be at your baggage drop within 15mins from arrival at the latest.

If you have never been to Oslo, book yourself into the Radisson Plaza or Clarion Christiania, right by the train station and explore the city. Zou might end up at the same or cheaper rates and have time to explore the city. (If its worth to you getting up an hour earlier the next morning)
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:00 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Some advice from a Norwegian:
Park Inn and Radisson Blu are both at the airport proper. I usually stay at Park Inn (turn left, five minutes walk), as it is cheaper than Radisson Blu (turn right two minutes walk). Both are overpriced for dining.

If at all possible, do NOT take the Flytoget express train, take the local or regional train, as it is half price (NOK 92 as opposed to NOK 180 O/W), and only five minutes slower. Three trains every hour - a rather similar situation to the Heathrow Express/Connect set up.

There is a 24 h ticket available (24 h from validation) at 190 NOK, which also is valid as a travel card on all other public transportation within Oslo as well as the local/regional train to/from the airport (NOT on the Airport Express Train).

Personally, with a 07.25 departure I would stay both nights in Oslo proper, preferably at one of the hotels in/very close to Oslo S. Comfort Grand Central, Scandic Byporten and Thon Hotel Opera are in the station building/on railway property and are quite OK.

There are several others literally across the street, including Radisson Oslo Plaza and Clarion Royal Christiania mentioned by the previous poster. There are also hotels next to Nationaltheateret station, where all local/regional trains to the airport stop, as well as half the Airport Express Trains. This is a much nicer area than the area around the main station (Oslo S)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.