Wiki Posts
Search

Western Norway or southern Sweden/CPH: weather considerations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Western Norway or southern Sweden/CPH: weather considerations

We're off next week to ARN for 5 days followed by 6 in BGO (split between Sognefjord and Bergen itself). We've always wanted to visit Norway but now I'm having second thoughts about the weather. I appreciate it's always a risk but the forecast looks poor: I think they've been suffering the same unsettled summer as the UK, which is adding to our need to find the sun on our holiday. We are also travelling with our 2 year old who is not going to enjoy being stuck inside or in the car if it's wet, and I assume there are limited indoor activities for her.

Our bookings are somewhat flexible. The best Plan B I have come up with is flying instead ARN-CPH and splitting the time between CPH and somewhere else in Denmark or Skane where the forecast looks much better.

Any suggestions on what we should do? Does anyone want to offer a good experience of Norway in mixed weather, or have any suggestions for where to go in the south? We'll keep an eye on the forecast but need to make a decision by Thursday.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Here is a Norwegian site for weather in Bergen if it is of any use to you :
http://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Hordalan...idsvarsel.html

As far as I know, it is normal for Bergen to have rain in summer.
I was there for 4 days a few summers ago and they had a heatwave and NO rain.
The locals couldn't believe their luck.

It seems almost a shame not to see Bergen when you are here.
If you don't mind including one more flight, you could visit Bergen for just a day or two and then leave out the surrounding area.
It's not nice with rain but also not a very big issue in a town.
Then you could fly from Bergen and spend the remaining days in Copenhagen.
From Copenhagen you can visit either Malmų or Helsingborg in Sweden in a daytrip.

And by the way, long term weather forecasts in Scandinavia are useless - the weather is far too unpredictable.
At the moment I am looking out the window at a blue sky, and the weather forecast last night predicted rain all day for today.....

Add : SAS has flights from Bergen to Copenhagen : 23.or 24. I am seeing flights for 577 DKK per person and 25.,26.,27., 28. for 330 DKK per person.

Last edited by helosc; Aug 11, 2015 at 4:38 am Reason: addition about flights
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your idea. Another flight wouldn't be ideal, but actually if we can stick with our inbound BGO-LHR and just switch ARN-BGO to ARN-CPH-BGO it's quite cost-effective: only one modest canx fee.

That said, to illustrate your point, the long-range I was using has just switched from rain to warm sunshine for 5 of our 6 days. So I guess it's Plan A ... until it changes again! We should probably just chance it, but other thoughts still welcome.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:27 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I hope the OP is coming. Summer is finally here now on the western coast of Norway!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Thank you, yes we were there from 20-25 August and were very lucky with the weather! As has been said, the forecast more than a few days out was best ignored!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.