Jet Explosion Reported over Indonesia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Explosion Reported over Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Anybody know what happens with an over-weight landing? I assume you have to go faster when you land, and you need a longer runway. But is there significant damage to the aircraft?
Since approach speed (Vref) is calculated based on aircraft weight and configuration, I would imagine that yes a higher approach speed is required when overweight. An airline pilot (or someone with an A380 POH) would be able to confirm this. Possible effects of an overweight landing that spring to mind are:

- Increased landing distance required due to slower deceleration.
- Increased landing distance required due to higher approach speed.
- Blown tyres due to higher landing forces.
- Landing gear strut damage.
- Airframe overstress.
- Excessive brake temperatures leading to tyre fires if using maximum braking (which may be required due to longer landing distance required and lack of reverse thrust due to the engine failure*).

A professional airline pilot can probably come up with a much longer list.

* Though reverse thrust is never calculated into required landing distance in case it's not available.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:31 pm

Interestingly, the EASA issued an Airworthiness Directive in August that seems closely related to this engine failure:

http://www.channel4.com/media/c4-new...0-0008R1_1.pdf

It'll be interesting to see whether QF had carried out these inspections beforehand.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by acunningham
Of course! An overweight landing on a runway is vastly preferable to an off-airport landing. Had there been any time-critical reason to land ASAP (fire for example), the crew would not have hesitated to land overweight.
i agree completely....
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Still trying to figure out why we have multiple threads on this topic, including this one called "Jet Explosion," which is obviously erroneous.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Here is a very informative (and worrying) set of slides and pictures more closely describing the damage and raising the very real possibility that this could have been much much worse. Rolls Royce comes out looking rather bad.

The Anatomy of the Airbus A380 QF32 near disaster
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by biggreen
Here is a very informative (and worrying) set of slides and pictures more closely describing the damage and raising the very real possibility that this could have been much much worse. Rolls Royce comes out looking rather bad.

The Anatomy of the Airbus A380 QF32 near disaster
wow....that looks bad....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.