Jet Explosion Reported over Indonesia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff

Globe and Mail reports this minutes ago, sketchy report that is is a Quantas 'Airbus 383', still circling, some debris found. Sounds odd that so little info yet debris found.

Any other reports?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1785044/

"Police and witnesses say they heard an explosion as a commercial airliner was flying over western Indonesia and found debris from the plane scattered near a shopping mall.

Police Colonel Eka Yudha told TVOne the plane was a Qantas Airbus, which was flying from Singapore to Australia when it had to dump fuel.

He was quoted as telling the station it had made an emergency landing, but later told The Associated Press the jetliner was apparently still circling the sky.

The report could not be independently confirmed.

Large pieces of debris – including panels painted white and red – were found on the Indonesian island of Batam, where witnesses reported hearing the loud bang early Thursday.
"
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:43 pm

Qantas confirms A380.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Q-A-N-T-A-S

Wow, guess Rainman was wrong, after all.

I hope this turns out to be wrong, as the human damage will be immense, if it crashes! Indonesia has had so much bad stuff happening lately, I hate to have anything else happen.

Hopefully it's just an engine, and all are safe.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Qantas plane made emergency landing - no crash

TVNZ Article

Qantas says the plane, flying from Singapore to Sydney, experienced engine problems.

"Qantas flight QF32 was enroute from Singapore to Sydney, the number two engine has shut down, so as a precautionary measure we are taking it back to Singapore," a Qantas spokeswoman said.

Earlier there were reports the plane had crashed. But Qantas has denied that, saying a passenger flight had experienced engine trouble and was returning to Singapore airport.

"There has not been a crash," a Qantas spokeswoman said, adding that flight QF32 had been forced to shut down one engine and was expected to land in Singapore around 0400 GMT.

Deep breath, folks.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by Spiff
Qantas plane made emergency landing - no crash
Nice to hear.

Will be interesting to hear the whole story if the debris reports hold true - engine failures do not seem likely to drop debris like that.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:27 pm

Photo allegedly of the wing:
http://yfrog.com/f/0quh4dj/
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:34 am

I'm surprised - no-one has done the "Well that's why I only fly Boeing" line yet
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by alanR
I'm surprised - no-one has done the "Well that's why I only fly Boeing" line yet
or Amtrak, although flying Amtrak is quite difficult.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Msnbc.com's story - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40000040...ws-asiapacific
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by sobore
or Amtrak, although flying Amtrak is quite difficult.
You'd get wet going to Sydney
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by alanR
Maybe the better line would be "I fly only GE or Pratt & Whitney" since the engine that suffered an uncontained turbine failure is a Rolls-Royce (and there are lots of Boeings equipped with big Rolls-Royce engines). The picture of the wing shows some substantial punches through, so it's good that no wing tanks were ignited!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Interesting, Quantas recently had a 747 have an uncontained engine failure departing from SFO. The two incidents are probably not related, but this is quite unusual. A problem with maintenance procedures, maybe?

QF34 was carrying 433 passengers and 26 crew, all of whom were evacuated by a step ladder in an operation that lasted two hours.
WHY did it take 2 hrs? Or is it 2 hrs from landing?

Last edited by Palal; Nov 4, 2010 at 8:11 am
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Palal
WHY did it take 2 hrs?
F has 8 giant doors, but the 4,000 people in steerage all had to exit through a single CRJ style over-wing door.

Seriously, Qantas has grounded all six of their 380's until they figure this out.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101104/...ingapore_plane

"It appears from the images of the plane that one of the engines has experienced a failure and it looks to be a fairly massive internal failure at that," said Peter Marosszeky at the University of New South Wales' aviation department.

"This failure has caused some of the engine ducting known as bypass ducting to depart from the engine. This type of incident has been seen previously but it was a long time ago and with much older planes than the A380."
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ugly failure, hope they find the cause (preferably soon)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.