Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:17 am

Request the no shooting section when visiting Sparks
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS
Request the no shooting section when visiting Sparks
C'mon, there hasn't been a shooting at Sparks in days!

Actually, it's been almost 22 years. I suspect it's safe to go back.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
Sheesh!
One little mob hit and it's
all people remember!
Analise likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:17 pm
ejm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Silver
dont forget the original Gallaghers - not been there in a while but it was my favorite for a long time.

Sparks the current fave.

have fun
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:39 pm

While everyone has their favorite steak joint in NYC, I've lived here all my life and the two best are.....

Peter Luger's. Period.
The Post House - particulary the Cajun Ribeye, medium rare. And, the Post House has a great wine list and a ten inch high ice cream chocolate cake dessert thing that is also terrific.
Have fun.

Also, for a bit more "atmosphere," the Ribeye with frites at Les Halles on Park Avenue South is excellent, and they have some of the best fries in NYC, bar none.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:05 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Ben Benson's

I really enjoy Ben Bensons, 53rd street. Right around the corner from the Sheraton Manhattan.

They've got some great seafood appetizers, a solid wine list, and some awesome steaks. This is my favorite steak place in Manhattan. Although it's always busy, you can usually sneak a table in the bar (6 or 7 hiding out of sight).

It's across the street from Bar Americain, one of Bobby Flay's places, which I was decidedly underwhelmed by.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, BA Silver, Continental, AA, Hilton, Marriott
Old Homestead. Old Homestead. So good I went there twice.

Thank-you the suggestions everyone. I didn't get a chance to try all these places but I did get to the Old Homestead and it was so good I had to go back for seconds, though not literally because after NYC helpings you don't have to eat for a week. Tried at Catman's suggestion the aged Gotham rib steak which was incredible! I went back for a kobe burger because everyone was talking about it and I wanted to know if feeding cows on beer and giving them massages paid off. It does.

Red-blooded Americans on this board may not want to hear about anything Frenchified but if you fancy a bottle of good wine at 2am I discovered a great place on my trip called the Bateau Ivre, which means the drunken boat, on 51st St off 2nd Ave.

If you like playing pool with Brazilian construction workers, I can also recommend the Ipanema on 14th street. Bit of a dive, but the barmaids are a lot of fun and make amazing Caipirinhas!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, BA Silver, Continental, AA, Hilton, Marriott
Thumbs up

I wish I could return the favour and recommend a good place for steak in London, but there aren't any that come close. For a taste of British food go here:
www.myersofkeswick.com
I think it's the only place in New York where you can buy a Scotch egg. Not that you'd ever want to.

I think we're better at airlines. Great flight on Silverjet, a new British-based business class airline. Been getting good reviews on Flyer Talk - one reason I flew them, the other being they're way cheaper than my usual carrier, Virgin. On board it I'd rate it somewhere above BA Club and maybe just below Virgin Upper.

I didn't really get to try out the lounge at Newark because I was late but the lounge at Luton was terrific, the facilities not quite up to Virgin Heathrow standards but against that you go straight to the lounge and then check in, which seems like the right way round to me. No queues, easy security. Very smart.

I found a post today which has a proper report:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=663726
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Talking Tad's ??

what about Tad's (or is it Thad's?)
i see them all around Times Square whenever I visit NYC

Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by jessej
what about Tad's (or is it Thad's?)
i see them all around Times Square whenever I visit NYC
It's Tad's, and for those who don't know (or couldn't determine based on all the smiley faces), he's being facetious. Don't go there.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
If you want to try something in the style of Peter Luger's, only in midtown, I would suggest Blair Perrone at 2nd and 47th. Be sure to try the crisp bacon appetizer!
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
I love Spark's sirloin. Everything else has been so-so.
I agree completely. I used to be pretty negative on Spark's until I did actually try the sirloin, which was fantastic. (Though I haven't been there in a few years I admit).

I think in general the key is really figuring out what the steakhouse's specialty is. At Luger's it's clearly porterhouse (and only go for the 2-person steak max), which I also love. At craftsteak, it'd probably be the kobe steaks. And so on.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Ben Benson's around the corner from the Hilton at Rockefeller Center has always served me a good steak. I agree with the others about Smith and Wollensky. Average meat and above average attitude.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:07 pm

Programs: Onepass, AAdvantage, Skymiles, Dividend Miles
What about Outback?

Seriously, Maloney & Porcelli is pretty good. Rothman's is good as well.

I'm going to Peter Luger for the first time in 2 weekends, I'll try to report back about it if I'm not in a meat coma from the trip.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by paulcimino
I'm over in New York again next week. I'm a huge steak fan and I go to the same places again and again when I'm in town: Smith & Wollensky on 49th & 3rd and Michael Jordan's Steak House at Grand Central Station. Not just the steaks, but the hash browns, the pureed spinach... it's all incredible.

This time I thought I should try somewhere else for a change. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.
My personal favorite is Peter Luger, but you have to leave your ego at the door. Porter House in Columbus Circle has been getting good reviews, it replaced the oh so precious V, which I didn't particularly like. (How good can a Frenchie steakhouse possibly be?)

Anyplace with coconut layer cake can't be too bad. I've missed the one at the now defunct Louisiana Community Bar and Grill for years.

Last edited by jedison; Feb 23, 2007 at 6:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.