Search

New 10-trip Metrocard for JFK AirTrain: $25

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2006, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
New 10-trip Metrocard for JFK AirTrain: $25

While at Jamaica Station this afternoon, I noticed that the Metrocard vending machines in the AirTrain terminal are now offering 10-trip AirTrain Metrocards for $25. You get ten one-way trips on the JFK AirTrain for $25. The cards expire after six months. (Whether it's six months after purchase, or six months after first use, I'm not sure.) For those who can make use of it, this is a very good deal.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by guv1976
While at Jamaica Station this afternoon, I noticed that the Metrocard vending machines in the AirTrain terminal are now offering 10-trip AirTrain Metrocards for $25. You get ten one-way trips on the JFK AirTrain for $25. The cards expire after six months. (Whether it's six months after purchase, or six months after first use, I'm not sure.) For those who can make use of it, this is a very good deal.
Thanks for sharing the good news. So if I use the AirTrain 5 times within 6 months, then I cannot go wrong this way (as long as I don't forget/lose the card).
Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thanks for sharing the good news. So if I use the AirTrain 5 times within 6 months, then I cannot go wrong this way (as long as I don't forget/lose the card).
You have to use it at least seven times within six months for it to become cheaper than using standard pay-per-ride metrocards (assuming you always buy metrocards in denominations of at least $10, which give you the 20% bonus). Five rides cost only $20.83 using standard pay-per-ride metrocards, and six rides cost $25.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by themicah
You have to use it at least seven times within six months for it to become cheaper than using standard pay-per-ride metrocards (assuming you always buy metrocards in denominations of at least $10, which give you the 20% bonus). Five rides cost only $20.83 using standard pay-per-ride metrocards, and six rides cost $25.
You're right. [I was looking at it from the perhaps outdated perspective of someone carrying around an unlimited ride card who would (foolishly, like me) just buy metrocards for one-time AirTrain use. I should have been carrying around a second metrocard for the purpose of getting the 20% bonus. ]
Old May 2, 2006, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if there are 2 pax traveling together, then the card is worthwhile with only 2 round-trips. Good deal!

Unless of course, the metrocard locks out after the first swipe, a la the unlimited. They might do this to prevent people from selling discounted swipes at the turnstyles.
Old May 8, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I just wanted to thank guv1976 for posting this. Since I usually have Metrocard in hand, I had not used the machines at the Airtrain in any of my 10-12 trips since Christmas, when the thing was apparently introduced, and so had no idea, and probably never would have; instead, I had a bargain roundtrip last weekend.
One of the many reasons I love FT!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:54 pm

taking first trip to nyc

can anyone confirm if more than one person can use this 10-trip card? i cant find personal limit anywhere.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:07 pm
cpx

Programs: Many

JFK-AirTrain 10-Trip MetroCard
Cost: $25
Good for 10 JFK Air-Train trips until midnight six months after first use. 1 trip is deducted for each use. Only accepted for AirTrain trips. On sale at AirTrain vending machines, JFK airport, and local merchants.
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm
(listed all the way at the bottom)

It expires 6 months after the first use.

and you cal also buy a monthly unlimited for $40, but its been there for a while now.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by cpx
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm
(listed all the way at the bottom)

It expires 6 months after the first use.

and you cal also buy a monthly unlimited for $40, but its been there for a while now.
but this card can be shared right?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:48 pm
cpx

Originally Posted by dphamm
but this card can be shared right?
Not sure about that one.. but I think you can.

Sharing might be an issue on the unlimited ride card.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by cpx
Not sure about that one.. but I think you can.

Sharing might be an issue on the unlimited ride card.
Unlimited ride card certainly cannot be shared.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is NYC, right? So I can already imagine wiseguys standing around the turnstiles offering to pass you through for $4 (or $3.50 if they think people have figured out the 20% discount bit), unless those silly rent-a-cops in the red jackets keep them away! Could be more lucrative than the minimum wage.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Good deal. Thanks OP!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This is NYC, right? So I can already imagine wiseguys standing around the turnstiles offering to pass you through for $4 (or $3.50 if they think people have figured out the 20% discount bit), unless those silly rent-a-cops in the red jackets keep them away! Could be more lucrative than the minimum wage.
You can romance the idea of "wiseguys" at the Airtrain turnstyles in Jamaica all you like but you won't find anybody.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 5:59 am
cpx

Originally Posted by guv1976
Just bought my first 10 trip Metro card today.. and indeed it shows the trips
not the money amount.

You can cetrainly share this one.

If it wasn't for this thread.. I wouldn't have known about this
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.