Di Fara/Grimaldi's Pizza

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Di Fara/Grimaldi's Pizza

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Stick with regular margherita - enjoy the simplicity and the deliciousness of the pie. It'll set you back a bit anyways ($20-25 a pie, if I remember correctly).

I would agree with whomever said to go when they open up. Get there a little early and you shouldn't have to wait that long. Just don't be in a rush...the guy who has run the shop forever is the only guy who makes the pizza, and he's getting up there in years.

The shop is right next to the Q subway stop (I think), and while it ain't Brooklyn Heights (where Grimaldi's is), you'll be perfectly fine during daylight hours for sure.
You'll be ok at night too. This is a safe neighborhood.

The regular pie is closer to $32 these days.

dh
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by dhammer53
You'll be ok at night too. This is a safe neighborhood.

The regular pie is closer to $32 these days.

dh
$32!!!

I mean, I know we're in NYC so food ain't cheap, but that's kind of outrageous for a single pie.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
$32!!!

I mean, I know we're in NYC so food ain't cheap, but that's kind of outrageous for a single pie.
When we go, it's cheaper to buy a pie than individual slices. 2 slices per person at $5.00 = $20.

Last year, tcook and another friend of mine went to Di Fara's. For $10 bucks a person, we had plenty of sicilian pizza.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Does anyone have a reasonable idea if Di Fara's would be open on Thanksgiving?

Being from the UK I don't have much of a clue about these things. I thought about watching a bit of the parade and then hoofing it over to Brooklyn. Grateful for any thoughts.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It's not likely they will be open on Thanksgiving.

You also can't hoof it there - it's pretty much on the other side of Brooklyn (the southern side).
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cost to do a private party at Di Fara's has gone up to $40 from $30.
This is all in; and includes all the pizza you can eat in 2 hours, drinks, and tax.
Minimum 20 people, maximum 27 (but it's a tight squeeze).

I've already booked 5 of these. The less people you have, the faster you eat.
FYI, you can BYO for no extra charge.

dh
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by dhammer53
The cost to do a private party at Di Fara's has gone up to $40 from $30.
This is all in; and includes all the pizza you can eat in 2 hours, drinks, and tax.
Minimum 20 people, maximum 27 (but it's a tight squeeze).

I've already booked 5 of these. The less people you have, the faster you eat.
FYI, you can BYO for no extra charge.

dh
Safe to assume that is $40/person? Either way, given the cost of a regular pie, that sounds like a reasonable deal on the pizza basis alone!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. It's $40 per person all-in for all the pizza you can eat. This means all the speciality pies with all those speciality ingredients are made to your liking.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by NYCRachel
Grimaldi's is great, but it's also the tourist destination with insane waits.

Might as well do Juliana's, which will have a shorter wait, as others have said.
Went to Grimaldi's last night and was a bit disappointed. Something has changed. Plates, cutlery and cups are now all disposable plastic. Definitely a cheap feel. But obviously the pizza is the reason to go and that wasn't as good as I remember (last visit was two summers ago). The crust just wasn't that crispy like it should have been. And a somewhat blandness to the whole pie.

Not sure I would go back.

I was really planning on going to Julianna's but they had the long line.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA
Any good options to dine in for a good pie (for me) and other menu items, salds, chicken, etc for swmo near the grand hyatt
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by theshaun
Any good options to dine in for a good pie (for me) and other menu items, salds, chicken, etc for swmo near the grand hyatt
UrbanSpace (newish fancy food court) has a Roberta's outpost. It's not really "dining," but it one of the best pies in the city and there are a lot of other vendors there to mix and match. It is a madhouse between 12-2 though: http://urbanspacevanderbilt.com

Naples 45 is also right there and decent.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:17 am

I am a native New Yorker. Brooklyn is not dangerous and the crime that does go on is not taking place on subway lines. it's within public housing projects and disputes between gang members over drug dealing turf. Don't even worry about it. The days of people getting mugged are far and few. That was maybe 25-30 years ago but not now.

Now back to the pizza. DiFara is a hole in the wall. The place appears to be a dump. The pizza is awesome but don't expect table cloths and candle light. It's a place you would expect teenagers to gather after school. How to get there? Easy 123. Take the Q train to Avenue J. Walk 2 blocks and you are there. Q train is safe as they come. From Manhattan it's about 30 minutes subway ride, so it's not close. Slices are $5 pies are $30 I believe. Expensive.

Do I suggest going there just for a slice? Not really unless you have a lot of free time to explore New York City.

Grimaldi is a good pie but there are TONS of other great pizza places. Patsy's is an old New York institution and they are scattered around Manhattan in different areas. Lombardi's in Little Italy is pretty famous also. Pizza Suprema is absolutely delicious and is behind 34th street Penn Station. It's a casual non sit down place.

Never eat 2 Bros or any of the street store front chain spots, they are awful and you might as well be eating cardboard with sauce. I feel sorry for people coming to New York and thinking that is authentic pizza because it's not!

If you have extra time, also consider THE BRONX. Most people are not aware that there is Little Italy there called "Arthur Avenue". Many ways to get there including commuter rail train from Grand Central (safest) or the D line subway which would scare off some tourist as the Bronx is the last "Wild West" neighborhood left. Arthur is also across the street from Fordham University which is a beautiful campus (only students with ID's are permitted).

If you can travel even further into THE BRONX there is Morris Park (Italian section) which has a strip of nice pizza joints and even a sit down one. (5 subway line to Morris Park). You can also check out Pelham Bay which is another little Italian niche in the Bronx and has excellent pizza. New York City only has about 50,000 Italians remaining as most have migrated out of the 5 boroughs and into the suburbs and New Jersey but you can still find some great authentic pizza if you do your research.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:59 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome, globalseeker! Above post has been released from the moderation queue with apologies for the delay.

/Moderator
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Pizza Suprema is absolutely delicious and is behind 34th street Penn Station. It's a casual non sit down place."

+1. But even though there is no table service at Pizza Suprema, there are about a dozen tables for those who want to dine in. West side of Eighth Avenue between 30th and 31st streets -- just south of the Main Post Office.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by globalseeker

Now back to the pizza. DiFara is a hole in the wall. The place appears to be a dump. The pizza is awesome but don't expect table cloths and candle light. It's a place you would expect teenagers to gather after school.

If you have extra time, also consider THE BRONX. Most people are not aware that there is Little Italy there called "Arthur Avenue". Many ways to get there including commuter rail train from Grand Central (safest) or the D line subway which would scare off some tourist as the Bronx is the last "Wild West" neighborhood left. Arthur is also across the street from Fordham University which is a beautiful campus (only students with ID's are permitted).
No argument about Di Fara's being a dump. That's not a secret.

I agree with you about Arthur Ave, but it's a healthy walk from the railroad/subway.

Welcome to Flyertalk globalseeker.

dh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.