Di Fara/Grimaldi's Pizza

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Di Fara/Grimaldi's Pizza

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by RPantoja
I'm from New York and I live for pizza. Di Fara might be the best pizza I have ever eaten in my life. Get their original traditional pie. You order at a counter, they can do slices or a whole pie. There is always a line and only a few places to sit. The man making the pizza is the owner. It's such a great experience! Authentic Brooklyn
If you call a day or two ahead, and if they answer the phone, you can pre-order a pie that should be ready within 20 minutes of your arrival. Cash only.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I'm from New York and I live for pizza. Di Fara might be the best pizza I have ever eaten in my life."

I think DiFara's Sicilian slice is extraordinarily good -- probably the best Sicilian slice I've ever had. But I was not that impressed with DiFara's Neapolitan slice.
Agree 100%. Here's the reason why, the square slice has the crunch, and the regular slice doesn't.

Originally Posted by NYCRachel

Di Fara is fantastic, but is a shitshow. The elderly proprietor is the only one making the pizza with a nonexistent ordering system. Given this, you must be patient. I've waited 90 minutes before my pizza has been ready.

L&B is also great (as recommended upthread), but out of the way. If you were to go that route I would combine it with a trip to Totonno's (better than Grimaldi's/Juliana's) and Coney Island.
Elderly? Dom is 78, and has been making pizza since I was a kid. He's been in the same location since the mid/late 60's. He's the only person making pizza, and Dom makes it on Dom time (slow).

Totonno's is pie only, and worth the trip. IMHO, it's a close second behind Di Fara's.

I can't go away for a few days to return to a pizza discussion.

I've been to Di Fara's dozens of times over the year. Is the price hi, yes. $5.00 a slice. A pie is about $32 - 34 IIRC. Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.
Dom uses only the best ingredients imported from Italy. While you wait, you watch this master make pie after pie. He doesn't use the typical cheese most pizza places in the city use. He cuts a fresh piece of mozzarel (as we say in NY) from a clear package. The cheese is packed in water. He then shaves the cheese onto the pie. Before he places the pie in the oven, he sprinkles olive oil from an old tin gold container onto the pie.

Man, that oven is hot because the pie is ready pretty fast. Dom then pulls the pie out of the oven with his bare hands and prepares it for slicing. But before that, he takes more fresh cheese and more olive oil, and gives the pie a little extra. He then takes a scissors and cuts some fresh basil on the pie.

If you've been waiting 20 or 90 minutes (N.B, check their hours and days of operation), you're mouth is watering. You've watched the pies being made. You've been smelling the pizza. you're hungry. When it's finally your turn for a slice (or a pie), you're about to jump out of your skin.

Instructions for taking your first bite (of sicilian). It's hot, so be careful. Close your eyes, open your mouth, put the slice in your mouth. After a long wait, you're finally ready. Now you're smelling, then the crunch comes, and now finally what you've been waiting for. The taste. ^

A few of us have been to Di Fara's. Many of us have been to L&B Spumoni Gardens as mentioned above.

So next time you want to head to Brooklyn, please PM me. You don't have to twist my arm to go to Di Fara's.

dh
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:57 am
Original Poster

So I'm leaning torwards Di Fara. I was in Brooklyn recently to visit the Transit Museum and didn't have a problem so this one should be no different.

Anything specific I should go for and the best time to go to avoid long lines? A friend of mine says that it'll take 2 hours just for a pizza. I remember waiting on line once for the iPhone 3Gs. I waited for 6 hours the first day it came out!

Anyone know the price as well?

Thanks again gang.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Go on a weekday, arriving about 1/2 hour before they open. You'll have a short wait this way.

Prices are high, about double normal neighborhood pizza places.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
My preference versus all these popular places, is to go to a local pizzeria in the neighborhoods. You'll find each neighborhood might have a different style of making it and the flavor will also be different. While many people wax poetic about Spumoni Gardens, I personally don't care for it (sorry Dan), though many, many people love it. Their pizza is a function of their neighborhood and in some cases, what they grew up having.

If you can believe it, it took about 15 years of living in NJ to find a place that made the pizza the way I grew up eating it

The issue, of course, is that if you're making a day trip to try the pizza, unless you have a neighborhood recommendation, you're pretty much stuck with the popular places.

Dan - if you can believe it, my mom makes homemade pizza just like DiFara. No need for me to wait on line
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by maortega15
So I'm leaning torwards Di Fara. I was in Brooklyn recently to visit the Transit Museum and didn't have a problem so this one should be no different.

Anything specific I should go for and the best time to go to avoid long lines? A friend of mine says that it'll take 2 hours just for a pizza. I remember waiting on line once for the iPhone 3Gs. I waited for 6 hours the first day it came out!

Anyone know the price as well?

Thanks again gang.
They used to take orders over Facebook and via email the day before. I'm not sure if that's still a thing, but I'd look into it.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Maybe this question needs a new thread but will try here first, who knows?

I have something stuck in my head, ever since I saw a Chicago-style deep dish pie on a tv show I've been wanting to try one. Now I'm not going to make it to Chicago this year, but I will be in NY (and Boston) in Nov.

So my question is, is there somewhere in NY I can go to get a reasonably authentic and tasty Chicago-style pie? Eat in is preferable over takeaway given it will be cold, but I can live with either. Happy to travel by metro as needs be.

TIA for any recommendations.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark

I have something stuck in my head, ever since I saw a Chicago-style deep dish pie on a tv show I've been wanting to try one. Now I'm not going to make it to Chicago this year, but I will be in NY (and Boston) in Nov.

So my question is, is there somewhere in NY I can go to get a reasonably authentic and tasty Chicago-style pie? Eat in is preferable over takeaway given it will be cold, but I can live with either. Happy to travel by metro as needs be.

I don't know how "authentic" it is, but the Uno's chain is represented in NYC.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:36 pm

I have something stuck in my head, ever since I saw a Chicago-style deep dish pie on a tv show I've been wanting to try one.
No, you really don't want to. And it doesn't belong in a thread about pizza. Especially in the New York forum.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by SJC AA
I have something stuck in my head, ever since I saw a Chicago-style deep dish pie on a tv show I've been wanting to try one.
No, you really don't want to. And it doesn't belong in a thread about pizza. Especially in the New York forum.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:15 pm

Just the mere mention of Chicago-style "pizza" in a thread titled after Di Fara is an abomination.

Here's the last word on this unholy comestible:
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/8o83j9/tower-record
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Fair enough, but I still want to try some. I can't live according to other people's wishes

I may very well come back here and report that it's vile and call it all sorts of nasty names, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Having said that I have read through this thread and am keen to give some genuine NY pizza a go also. Some googling took me to this place, which seems somewhere kinda in the middle between our two schools of thought.

http://spumonigardens.com/

Any views on this place? They do a Sicilian pie that seems reasonably deep dish and it has decent reviews on Tripadvisor.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Visa Signature, SPG Gold

Chicago pizza is terrible. However, if you're going to try it, it needs to be in Chicago, not NYC.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:12 pm

L&B Spumoni Gardens is pretty good (it's all about the sauce IMO). It's not nearly as greasy as Chicago style pizza, but quite different from the typical NY-style Neapolitan pie and way better than most of the rock-hard reheated Sicilian slices you'll find at many slice joints around NYC. I'm not sure it justifies a schlep out to Bensonhurst the way DiFara's justifies the trip to Flatbush, but if you find yourself out there already, definitely stop in and try it.

Everyone else is right that Chicago-style pizza is (1) an abomination and (2) not something you should even consider eating while in NY. That said, if you really, really want to try it, and can't actually get to Chicago, Uno Chicago Grill does have a couple of NYC franchises (as mentioned upthread). And Uno is a corporate chain descended from the original Pizzeria Uno in Chicago, where deep dish pizza allegedly originated.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:54 pm

L&B is great, but bears about as much resemblance to Chicago-style "pizza" as a breaded chicken breast does to fish and chips. Same color, same shape, but totally different inside.

There's a place called Emmett's that is probably the closest in NYC to Chicago-style "pizza," but you shouldn't waste an NYC meal on it.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Not to hijack, but since there are NYC pizza lovers here what's the best pizzeria in Manhattan, given that I'll be staying on 55th and 5th?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.