Wiki Posts
Search

Access to JFK Terminal 5 if not on JetBlue / B6

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Access to JFK Terminal 5 if not on JetBlue / B6

Will I be allowed to go into terminal 5 (want to shop at Muji during a layover) if I'm not flying Jet Blue? If yes, will I need to clear security or is there a way to get from the United/CO terminal without having to go via security.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I would be highly surprised if you could.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The official answer is no. You need to clear security and you need a valid BP.

That said, I've booked refundable tickets a few times to get past the TSA there, most recently to go to a concert. My main suggestion should you go this route is to pick a flight that is more than 3 hours out from when you plan to cancel. Once the flight goes to airport control getting unchecked in can be quite difficult and they cannot refund the ticket if you are still checked in. Also, you must refund prior to the plane's departure or your refundable value converts to a JetBlue credit.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by stravels
Will I be allowed to go into terminal 5 (want to shop at Muji during a layover) if I'm not flying Jet Blue? If yes, will I need to clear security or is there a way to get from the United/CO terminal without having to go via security.
TSA changed the rules in you favor about 2-1/2 years ago. So long as you have a valid BP for the station (JFK) on the day in question, you can enter any checkpoint. I am presuming that you will have a UA BP for the date in question.

You will almost certainly be told that you are at the wrong terminal, but that's a courtesy and informational.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Often1
TSA changed the rules in you favor about 2-1/2 years ago. So long as you have a valid BP for the station (JFK) on the day in question, you can enter any checkpoint. I am presuming that you will have a UA BP for the date in question.

You will almost certainly be told that you are at the wrong terminal, but that's a courtesy and informational.
You have a source for this?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Will try if I have enough time and report back. I tried googling but couldn't find any info. Thanks all!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
These two FT threads seem to report mixed results:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...-terminal.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...-terminal.html

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.