Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Best Burger in Manhattan? Best inexpensive Steak?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, Marriott Plat

Hi!

Going to NYC with my family in two weeks. My 7th time. In the past we´ve always enjoyed visiting restaurants recommended by FT so I thought it might be a good idea to ask the experts again!

I´m especially looking for high-quality low-price American food this time. Steaks, burgers, fries, ... "Diner"-food in general. Preferred areas: Upper East Side (First Avenue, Lexington?), Chelsea, SoHo;

Looking forward to your recommendations! Thanx for your help!

-Thomas
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by tomashi
Hi!

Going to NYC with my family in two weeks. My 7th time. In the past we´ve always enjoyed visiting restaurants recommended by FT so I thought it might be a good idea to ask the experts again!

I´m especially looking for high-quality low-price American food this time. Steaks, burgers, fries, ... "Diner"-food in general. Preferred areas: Upper East Side (First Avenue, Lexington?), Chelsea, SoHo;

-Thomas
Burger: Jackson Hole, east side.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
According to www.zagat.com

here are some of the better burger 'joints'.

Shake Shack
Flatiron District
Madison Square Park
(23rd St.)
Manhattan, NY 10010
212-889-6600
www.shakeshacknyc.com

Food Decor Service Cost

22 14 12 $13

Review
“Quality fast food” comes to Madison Square Park via this “irresistible” alfresco all-American from Danny Meyer vending “highly addictive” burgers, franks and shakes; despite the “crazy lines”, fans are pleased to hear it has extended its season, now open March–December.
================================================== ===============

burger joint at Le Parker Meridien
West 50s
Le Parker Meridien
119 W. 56th St.
(bet. 6th & 7th Aves.)
Manhattan, NY 10019
212-708-7414
www.newyork.lemeridien.com

Food Decor Service Cost

24 10 13 $13

Key to Ratings

Review
“The secret’s out” about this “quirky”, “low-atmosphere” source for “first-class” patties that’s “tucked” behind “thick curtains” in the lobby of an otherwise posh Midtown hotel; insiders “go at off times” to avoid “long lines” and “tight” seating.
================================================== ===================

Burger Joint
241 Third Ave.
(bet. 19th & 20th Sts.)
Manhattan, NY
212-228-1219
Gramercy Park Hamburgers 21 9 14 $13
Burger Joint
190 Bleecker St.
(bet. MacDougal St. & 6th Ave.)
Manhattan, NY
212-254-2380
Greenwich Village Hamburgers 21 9 14 $13
================================================== ================

FYI, Jackson Hole is a well deserved 17.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I havent been to the Parker Meridian but heard it is very good. VERY unimpressed with Jackson Hole. For me the best burgers are at the Corner Bistro (Village) and Fanellis (SoHo). For steaks, Tads is recommended for real cheap. For cheaper than the fancy steak places but very good I would recommend Balthazar, Schillers or Les Halles. SoHo Bar and Grill used to have a great sub $20 steak also, but I havent been there for a few years. Love the steak frites at Balthazar.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Op is looking for family place with "high quality low price american" so why Balthazar, danny meyer, parker meridien etc?

How about Cowgirl 519 Hudson St west village, for burgers and sweet potatoe fries mac and cheese etc, not far from soho,chelsea

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/listings...urant/cowgirl/
Old Apr 2, 2006, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by nytango
Op is looking for family place with "high quality low price american" so why Balthazar, danny meyer, parker meridien etc?

How about Cowgirl 519 Hudson St west village, for burgers and sweet potatoe fries mac and cheese etc, not far from soho,chelsea

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/listings...urant/cowgirl/
I didnt read as much into it as you. While I didnt recommend the $25 hamburger, I thought any other hamburger was fair game. And Corner Bistro and Fanellis are basically old, neighborhood bars with stunning burgers. In fact I prefer both to the Bouley one at $25. As far as steaks, I was recommending steaks which I tought were about at under $20 which I thought was inexpensive for a steak in NY compared to Peter Lugar, Sparks, Michael Jordans (really under-rated by the way), Palm, etc. And I have read a LOT of places say that the Parker Meridian has the best burgers in the city at their burger specialty place. I would rate Jackson Hole behind Chilis and TGIFs for burgers by the way. Oh and unfortunately SoHo Bar and Grill closed so scratch it.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:28 pm

Programs: ALLLLLLL of them. Well, most...
Originally Posted by tomashi
Hi!

-Thomas
I've eaten burgers all over Manhattan (including Jackson Hole, Rare, etc., etc.) and the best ones are still to be had at Virgil's BBQ! I used to live in that block (yes New Yorkers there is an apartment building in that block at Times Square) and we ordered from there all the time--it's obviously best known for its BBQ (not a good judge of that so I can't comment either way) but the burgers are phenomenal. My main thing is I hate grizzle but of course if beef is too lean it's dry. These burgers are juicy, delicious, and have no grizzle. I've probably eaten 50 of them over the years.

That is somewhat nauseating isn't it?

At any rate, it's at 44th between 6th/Broadway.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:35 pm

The best burger is at the original PJ Clarke's on 3rd Avenue. We've had this discussion before in FT.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
The best burger is at the original PJ Clarke's on 3rd Avenue. We've had this discussion before in FT.
I haven't tried it but...have you tried the one at Virgil's??
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by BettyKat
I've eaten burgers all over Manhattan (including Jackson Hole, Rare, etc., etc.) and the best ones are still to be had at Virgil's BBQ! I used to live in that block (yes New Yorkers there is an apartment building in that block at Times Square) and we ordered from there all the time--it's obviously best known for its BBQ (not a good judge of that so I can't comment either way) but the burgers are phenomenal. My main thing is I hate grizzle but of course if beef is too lean it's dry. These burgers are juicy, delicious, and have no grizzle. I've probably eaten 50 of them over the years.

That is somewhat nauseating isn't it?

At any rate, it's at 44th between 6th/Broadway.

Interesting. I think Virgils has great Q. I used to live in Austin and their Texas Q isnt as good as some of the best in Texas, but it is pretty damned good. I would guess they would make a great burger, someone there knows how to cook. Ill have to give it a try next time Im there. I hadnt even thought of it as a place to get a burger.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by BettyKat
I haven't tried it but...have you tried the one at Virgil's??
Nope. Virgil's calls itself a bbq restaurant and of course that's impossible since BBQ pits aren't even in NYC.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:48 pm

I tend to prefer burgers in bars in NY. Hence, Fanellis and Corner Bistro. Another good burger is at McHales (I think that was the bar). A nice thing about Corner Bistro is the cat that lives inside. They also have a great Juke Box.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Interesting. I think Virgils has great Q. I used to live in Austin and their Texas Q isnt as good as some of the best in Texas, but it is pretty damned good. I would guess they would make a great burger, someone there knows how to cook. Ill have to give it a try next time Im there. I hadnt even thought of it as a place to get a burger.
That's what I think--most people think of it as a BBQ place and haven't tried the burgers. Definitely try next time you're there...

...and maybe I'll give the BBQ a try.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:49 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
I love burger joint in the Le Meredien, let me just add that it's not at all expensive or formal, it's a quirky thing actually. A burger, fries and shake is <$10 if I remember correctly.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 2:56 pm

I don't eat beef, but am still going to chime in here...

My mother grew up in Manhattan and insists on trying the latest place she's heard to have the "best burger" in town each time she comes to visit. So I've taken her to quite a few places for burgers. We've been all over town in her quest for the tastebud sensations she remembers from her childhood.

There are what I'd consider to be three styles of burgers available in the city: fast food style (i.e., places that serve burgers wrapped in paper and/or foil), pub/diner style (i.e., places that let you specify how well-done you want it cooked, and that serve the burger on a plate), and "gourmet" burgers (i.e., those that go beyond traditional ground beef with foie gras or Kobe beef). And of course there are combinations thereof.

I've never been to Corner Bistro, but know several people who swear by it, so I certainly wouldn't steer you away.

I've peeked into Burger Joint, but haven't yet taken Mom there. It is what I assume an idealized 1970's bowling alley snack bar would look like if I was old enough to actually remember 1970's bowling alleys, and I'd put it in the fast-food-style camp. As far as I could tell, all they served was hamburgers (which is why I didn't eat there). I know a lot of people who love the place, but I think it's as much for the nostalgic decor (and the semi-secret location which lends a certain "cool" factor) as for the burgers themselves. I'm not knockin' the burgers (I'm sure they're very tasty). But I don't know any foodies who really consider the burgers there to be the best in town.

Shake Shack is another fast-food-style place, with a heavy dose of "gourmetness" thrown in (it is run by Danny Meyer, after all). They serve paper-wrapped burgers through a window like a small town Dairy Queen or a snack bar at the beach. But they use high end meats and fixings and have lots of beef alternatives (which is why I like it). I think this may be the best fast-food-style place in town (and the shakes are delicious--if terrible for you), but Mom prefers a diner style burger, so while she definitely enjoyed her meal there, her search wasn't yet over.

Another fast-food-style place that I really like is Better Burger. But if you're looking for decadence, this isn't your place. It's a healthy fast food joint, and they serve only extra-lean beef (and ostrich--my favorite) on whole wheat buns with air-baked "fries" and organic ketchup. Mom's health fanatic side loves this place (as do I), but her "I want the burger from my childhood" side didn't come close to being satisfied.

Island Burgers and Shakes on Ninth Ave falls somewhere between the fast food and pub/diner style places. You order from your table with a waitress off a menu, but the burgers come in baskets, not on plates. This place's big upside is that they have a million different things you can put on your burger from basics like bacon, sauteed mushrooms, and different cheeses to things like guacamole that you'd never have considered. They also can substitue grilled chicken for the burger patty in any sandwich. The downside here is that their hamburger patties just aren't that great. They're decent, but not spectacular in a city filled with great burgers.

So what is Mom's favorite? Burger Heaven. It's essentially a diner that specializes in burgers (I think they have several locations). You order with a waiter from your table, can specify how well-done you want your meat, and it comes on a plate. Most importantly, according to Mom, the meat itself is just really good. Her pet peeve is places that use frozen burger patties (so many diners these days just serve up pre-made Sysco food service burgers). And she says that Burger Heaven does it right.

I think next time she's in town, however, I'll have to take her to Burger Joint and Corner Bistro, just to get her opinion on those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.