Wiki Posts
Search

Boston tolls and parking

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Boston tolls and parking

I will be Boston for a weekend trip and trying to figure out of couple of things in advance.

Tolls - Major usage of car will be from BOS to Hyatt Medford/Concord. Are there any major tolls on this route? I do have a I-Pass from IL which works EZPass tolling as well. Would appreciate if I can get an estimate on toll costs. Barely any toll roads in IL so it's years before I refill the credit on my Ipass transponder.

Parking - I understand downtown situation can be expensive. What would FTers recommend? Leave the car in Medford and uber to downtown? Or would it be cheaper to take the car and park in downtown?

Addl question - Recommendation for lunch spot to take a date? I love seafood. She loves a good salad (unfortunately, vegetarian). Anything with view would be amazing. So far, I have Legal Harborside on the list.

Help appreciated!
Old May 19, 2016, 11:28 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I will be Boston for a weekend trip and trying to figure out of couple of things in advance.

Tolls - Major usage of car will be from BOS to Hyatt Medford/Concord. Are there any major tolls on this route? I do have a I-Pass from IL which works EZPass tolling as well. Would appreciate if I can get an estimate on toll costs. Barely any toll roads in IL so it's years before I refill the credit on my Ipass transponder.

Parking - I understand downtown situation can be expensive. What would FTers recommend? Leave the car in Medford and uber to downtown? Or would it be cheaper to take the car and park in downtown?

Addl question - Recommendation for lunch spot to take a date? I love seafood. She loves a good salad (unfortunately, vegetarian). Anything with view would be amazing. So far, I have Legal Harborside on the list.
Tolls: there are tolls from BOS into the city ($3.50) but not the other way around. The only other major toll road is the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) which doesn't go to Medford or Concord.

Parking: on the weekend, a compromise option might be driving to Alewife or another T station with parking, then taking transit in from there.
Old May 20, 2016, 5:50 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Also a toll on Route 1 into Boston from the North. From Medford you'd more likely be on 93 which is toll-free, but be aware of Route 1's toll on the bridge
Old May 20, 2016, 6:24 am

Sounds like OP is staying at the Hyatt Place in Medford (which isn't particularly near Concord). Sensible way to get into Boston is to take the T (subway) from either Malden or Wellington Station, both about a mile away from the hotel. On Sunday, might make sense to drive into the city -- on-street parking is free, if you can find a space.
Old May 20, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
You can find relatively cheap (around $9 or $10) in the city on weekends. Try the Best Parking app or something like that to find inexpensive lots around the area(s) and time you would you like to go. I personally prefer taking the subway into the city, but the frequency of service is less on the weekends (and in particular on Sundays), so you may find it easier and/or more convenient to drive.

Agree with Legal Harborside. It is right on the water and while Legal is essentially a chain now, this is somewhat of a unique location for Legal, in that it is divided into three levels, each with a different feel.

Regarding tolls, I believe you can go on the Mass EZ-Pass site and calculate toll costs based on where you are travelling.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:27 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
My understanding about EZPass is that you don't get any sort of discount on Massachusetts tolls by using an out of state EZPass (or other device), so if you go directly from BOS to Medford via I-93, your toll would be the same as the standard Sumner Tunnel cash toll of $3.50. As mentioned previously, going the other direction won't cost any tolls unless you come into Boston on Route 1 (and I don't recommend doing that).

Same for other tolls in Massachusetts - you won't get a discount off the regular cash toll amount, your only "savings" is time at the toll booth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.