Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2015 New England Fall Foliage Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lo2e
Local meteorologists seem to be indicating there is a wind/rain storm hitting the area Wednesday into Thursday, which could wipe away any remaining foliage still on the trees. Get out to see it today if you can!
That storm which will hit us too will be the remnants of Hurricane Patricia according to meteorologists.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Daft question, I know, but is there anything left? I will be there on Monday and I have numerous recollections of beautiful trips in November, admittedly post Fall, but quite memorable none the less. It's been so unnaturally warm here in Europe, and with you too, I believe.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:50 am
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
In Maine the leaves are all but gone, with maybe just a very few left on the trees in far southern Maine. This is a complete stab in the dark, but perhaps either western Massachusetts or northern Connecticut or Rhode Island there is a chance to see something. Good luck, and let us know if you're successful!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Can't imagine there's anything left in western Mass. by now - was out there last weekend in October and it was good but past peak then.

Looking out on the Charles from my office in Cambridge, and even here most of the trees are on the downhill side. Extreme south coast of CT/RI might be the only place with much by now.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:20 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Nothing in Eastern Mass. I can see the river from my office and I couldn't see it a week ago due to leaves on the trees
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am

Plenty of leaves to be seen in the yards of people who have put off raking. (Otherwise, no.)
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you probably need to be at least as far south as Philly now to see anything.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by lo2e
In Maine the leaves are all but gone, with maybe just a very few left on the trees in far southern Maine. This is a complete stab in the dark, but perhaps either western Massachusetts or northern Connecticut or Rhode Island there is a chance to see something. Good luck, and let us know if you're successful!
I had a wonderful trip, we were so lucky with the weather. On Boston Common on 17th November it was amazing how much foliage was still on the trees, and wandering around the neighboring Beacon Hill area and Louisburg Square was lovely. A free tour of the Mass State House was well worth doing.

Down in Plymouth the weather was ideal for wandering around the town and exploring the Mayflower II on the waterfront. From there, I followed US-44 Westbound in perfect weather, passing through Taunton which looked interesting and Providence RI, which was surprisingly pleasant. From there, US-44 is a scenic byway, most of the way to Hartford CT (passing Putnam and Pomfret). I stopped at my friend's house in West Connecticut, lost in the hills and woods, and helped rake leaves before a rainstorm hit.

Then it was back to nice weather with mild temperatures for the onward drive to New York City, which basked in sunshine the whole time I was there. There, too, I came across pockets of foliage that remained in parks, corners of Brooklyn and tree shaded streets.

It was good to have nice weather to go shopping as well as visit the United Nations, Grand Central Terminal area, Pierpoint Library, WTC area, Brooklyn Heights walkway (with amazing views of Manhattan) and more.

The reason for making this trip now was that I was only able to get availability for my award tickets into BOS and out of JFK in November. But I couldn't have been more lucky than I was on this trip, it was a real winner! It pays to not worry too much about what the weather might be like and just take a chance.

Last edited by Concerto; Nov 28, 2015 at 5:08 am Reason: more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.