FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   Official 2015 New England Fall Foliage Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1710686-official-2015-new-england-fall-foliage-thread.html)

lo2e Sep 17, 2015 12:12 pm

Official 2015 New England Fall Foliage Thread

It's getting to be that time again... or is it, with high temperatures in the 80s in Maine today as I type this? :D

Ok, maybe soon, hopefully fall foliage will be upon us.

So I'll lead off with this - because of unusually warm temperatures in late August and September to date, it appears that foliage in Maine will be rather delayed this year. Apparently even far northern Maine is seeing little or no change in color so far. Article: http://www.pressherald.com/2015/09/1...iage-in-maine/

Analise Sep 18, 2015 8:24 am

If things work in our favor, we might take a trip to Portland for Columbus Day weekend. It would be a treat to see foliage around Sebago or Thompson Lakes.

Litning77 Sep 28, 2015 5:36 pm

swamp maples are starting to turn in central NH

Analise Sep 30, 2015 6:34 pm

We will unfortunately miss the foliage as our trip is now planned for the 3rd weekend in October. Given today's torrential rains in Maine, are many of the deciduous trees now bare?

lo2e Oct 1, 2015 9:41 am

Not at all - in fact, the ones near me are just starting to show some color. You might get very lucky and have something to look at by the time you're here, if the hurricane manages to miss or only graze us. If we end up with Joaquin paying a visit, your chances will drop significantly.

Analise Oct 1, 2015 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e (Post 25503743)
Not at all - in fact, the ones near me are just starting to show some color. You might get very lucky and have something to look at by the time you're here, if the hurricane manages to miss or only graze us. If we end up with Joaquin paying a visit, your chances will drop significantly.

Ok, so if the hurricane misses Maine, you really think we'll see foliage two weeks from today? Wow.

lo2e Oct 2, 2015 5:34 am

Possibly, barring something like a nasty storm or sustained brisk winds. The color has only started to appear this week near me.

IceTrojan Oct 3, 2015 1:38 am

Is there something going on in Boston the weekend of Oct 16-18? My preferred brands (Hyatt and Avis) are pricing way out of line.

Avis wants almost $100/day ($35 at Budget)

HR Boston wants $624/night, Hyatt Boston Harbor $469, the other Hyatt properties aren't even available.

Did a Google search that didn't yield anything notable.

wideman Oct 3, 2015 6:56 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 25511766)
Is there something going on in Boston the weekend of Oct 16-18? My preferred brands (Hyatt and Avis) are pricing way out of line.

Yep, the Head of the Charles Regatta is that weekend. HotC is an enormous rowing competition with a gazillion rowers and spectators. Certainly would jack up prices for everything -- also a great place to spend some time along the banks of the Charles on Sat and Sun.

Edited to add: This might be the only time of the year when the Cambridge Hyatt would have a terrific location!

Madone59 Oct 7, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm heading to Boston next weekend, and can't wait to see the colors! Living on So. Cal you forget how beautiful the desert isn't ;)

IceTrojan Oct 7, 2015 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 25532318)
I'm heading to Boston next weekend, and can't wait to see the colors! Living on So. Cal you forget how beautiful the desert isn't ;)

Indeed... we booked our trip from LAX to go in a couple of weeks, hopefully it won't be too late.

IceTrojan Oct 7, 2015 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by wideman (Post 25512255)
Yep, the Head of the Charles Regatta is that weekend. HotC is an enormous rowing competition with a gazillion rowers and spectators. Certainly would jack up prices for everything -- also a great place to spend some time along the banks of the Charles on Sat and Sun.

Edited to add: This might be the only time of the year when the Cambridge Hyatt would have a terrific location!

Thanks that! We shifted some things around, managed to find hotel availability and decent rental rates for the following week.

Hopefully the foliage will be decent Sept 21-25.

LoganFlyer Oct 7, 2015 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 25532369)
Hopefully the foliage will be decent Sept 21-25.

I like the spirit of planning ahead, but it's kinda hard to predict what the foliage will be like 11.5 months from now :p.

IceTrojan Oct 7, 2015 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 25532695)
I like the spirit of planning ahead, but it's kinda hard to predict what the foliage will be like 11.5 months from now :p.

Ha! Early bird and all that...

Of course, I meant to say Oct 21-25. Been typing "Sep/Sept/September" so many times for my TR that it's now muscle memory.

Analise Oct 7, 2015 7:00 pm

This is MaineFolliage's Wednesday foliage report:

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projec...emap100715.jpg

I'm feeling a bit optimistic that on our trip next weekend (not Columbus Day weekend), we might see peak foliage. We'll be hiking around Sebago Lake and maybe visit the midcoast region near Freeport and Brunswick. This is too good to believe! :D