Wiki Posts
Search

Update on the snowy driving conditions in Portland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tanri
This seems like an odd time of year to be a tourist in Maine; I bet the locals would pause and look at you in much the same way that you might pause and look at a moose. :-) Curious awe.
You think it's odd coming to Maine in the winter? This is one of the best times of the year to visit. I've been coming to Maine since I was 8 years old. I'm not sure I would qualify as a tourist; maybe a visitor. We have been very fortunate that we have avoided massive snowstorms including this weekend's trip. What's so unusual about coming here to snowshoe? The locals especially business owners seem very happy to see us given that Valentine's Day business was a bust due to massively incorrect weather forecasts in Portland. Between Thanksgiving and Washington's birthday, we usually come twice. We try to come for a long weekend in the late spring around Memorial Day. Summer is when the hordes of tourists arrive and that isn't too much fun for us but escaping the obnoxious heat and humidity of summer in New York is a great reason to endure the tourists.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by tanri
This seems like an odd time of year to be a tourist in Maine; I bet the locals would pause and look at you in much the same way that you might pause and look at a moose. :-) Curious awe.
What a very odd sentiment. Have you ever been to Maine?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:12 am

Winter's a great time to visit Maine. There's more than just Portland if you like outdoor activities. Or in Portland itself, now's the time to hit the really good restaurants without needing reservations too far in advance, or just walk the waterfront without the crowds. Things will close during major storms, but before/after (and sometimes during), it's business as usual. We don't stay in our houses all winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.