Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Update on the snowy driving conditions in Portland

Old Feb 9, 15, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Ok, southern Maine, FTers. We'll be going to Portland for the long weekend and are leaving on Thursday. How do you think the highways and the city streets will be? Is there any on-street parking or are the parking spots filled with snow? Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 15, 11:11 am

Portland has parking bans. If it's going to snow, they will issue one, and you need to get your car off the road until the ban is lifted. This ensures that they can plow and remove snow so that when it isn't snowy, there is parking.

It's snowing today. If it doesn't snow the rest of the week you'll be fine. The highways will be fine by tomorrow morning and the side streets will probably be fine by tomorrow evening. Snow happens here - often - so they know how to deal with it. I'm in my office today, roads had a little snow but they do a good job of keeping them clear during these lighter storms. The only time I'd say stay home entirely is during a bigger storm, but even after the last blizzard traffic was back to normal maybe 24 hrs after the snow finally stopped.

What's your plan in Portland this weekend? We're going to Portland OR to escape winter for a bit or I'd suggest we all meet for a drink.
Old Feb 9, 15, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
I was in the midcoast zone last weekend and Monday (1 and 2 February) and drove from Boothbay to Boston at the height of the blizzard. Pretty much total whiteout from Bath to Falmouth, 100-200 ft visibility, 20mph crawl down Route 1. As bad as I've ever seen it and you definitely needed a 4X4. I was insane.

The plowed snow is more than head-high in places and they're running out of places to put it. If this week's storm is anything like what's been threatened, and there is no significant warmup afterwards, I would think street parking would be very challenging if not impossible, and the secondary roads still very hard to navigate.
Old Feb 9, 15, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
I was in the midcoast zone last weekend and Monday (1 and 2 February) and drove from Boothbay to Boston at the height of the blizzard. Pretty much total whiteout from Bath to Falmouth, 100-200 ft visibility, 20mph crawl down Route 1. As bad as I've ever seen it and you definitely needed a 4X4. I was insane.

The plowed snow is more than head-high in places and they're running out of places to put it. If this week's storm is anything like what's been threatened, and there is no significant warmup afterwards, I would think street parking would be very challenging if not impossible, and the secondary roads still very hard to navigate.
I was in Portland this past Saturday night and found street parking - twice actually - in the Old Port. Once on Fore St down by Central Provisions and the Hyatt, and once more on Middle Street just east of Franklin.

Basically, stay off the road during bad storms, but we otherwise clean up fast. It is true that they're running out of places to put it in some areas, but the Old Port is usually removing snow in addition to just plowing it. Otherwise one storm would take out the sidewalks for the winter.
Old Feb 9, 15, 1:55 pm

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Some snow due Thursday into Friday, then a bit more on Sunday.

Not as much as Boston, though.
Old Feb 9, 15, 2:27 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
PWMTrav has it right - typically after big storms there is a city-wide parking ban that night and then a "Yellow Zone" parking ban the following night. Here is a map of the Yellow Zone: http://www.portlandmaine.gov/DocumentCenter/View/8005
Old Feb 9, 15, 6:34 pm

Incidentally, if you're going out to dinner, lo2e reminds me of one of the hidden benefits of the storms. Yellow zones are GREAT places to park for the evening if you're not planning to leave your car overnight. Most of them are posted that you have to clear by 11pm so that they can do overnight snow removal.

Also, if you come to Portland just after a storm, treat yourself and get a room at the HGI with windows overlooking Commercial Street. You'll get to see what I mean by snow removal. It's a giant tractor-sized snowblower funneling snow into a series of dump trucks - it moves, the trucks switch out, and they haul the snow away. I got to see that when I came up to Maine for my interview prior to moving here. I was sold and my wife thinks I'm an idiot for loving that.
Old Feb 10, 15, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. We are staying in South Portland so the overnight parking ban won't be an issue for us. We do like parking around Exchange Street so we can visit Sherman's and the local bars on Fore St as well as parking near the Portland Museum of Art. Glad to see that no big snow storms are forecasted.
Old Feb 11, 15, 5:59 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice

This is supposed to start in Maine late Saturday night and go all day on Sunday.
Old Feb 11, 15, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

I know the roads will be plowed well in Maine. I hope when we drive home on Monday that the MA and CT interstates and parkways will be just as diligent.
Old Feb 14, 15, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Blizzard wind damage?

During a snowstorm, we lift the windshield wiper blades when we leave the car. With the upcoming blizzard, if we lift the wiper blades, will the wind damage them including breaking them off?
Old Feb 14, 15, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
During a snowstorm, we lift the windshield wiper blades when we leave the car. With the upcoming blizzard, if we lift the wiper blades, will the wind damage them including breaking them off?
Only if there is something seriously wrong with the wiper arms. Wind is more likely to blow them back down to their normal position, but in that case you're just back where you started.
Old Feb 14, 15, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
Only if there is something seriously wrong with the wiper arms. Wind is more likely to blow them back down to their normal position, but in that case you're just back where you started.
Thanks. Looks like we can park on the Portland streets until 10 PM tonight.
Old Feb 14, 15, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Updated estimated totals for Portland -- just 5-10" according to the local CBS affiliate. Not a big deal at all.
Old Feb 15, 15, 6:11 am

This seems like an odd time of year to be a tourist in Maine; I bet the locals would pause and look at you in much the same way that you might pause and look at a moose. :-) Curious awe.

Search this Thread