Wiki Posts
Search

Best route to Portland?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Best route to Portland?

I don't venture outside of Boston too much by car, but decided to take a quick overnight trip to Portland, ME this weekend.

Is there a scenic route that might be worth taking to enjoy the fall season (or possibly a hike)?

Also, any ideas how bad traffic might be leaving Boston around 5pm on Friday? I'll probably try to get up there as quickly as traffic allows, then take my time getting back on a more scenic route and maybe make a stop or two.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:03 pm

The best route would either be Route One North to 95 North all the way to Portland
or
Route 93 North to Rte 128 North to Route 95 North to Portland
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Yep, pretty much the only two roads. Never drove US1 as it's not worth it until you get to Maine. Just not that nice a road to invest the time. I95 will take 1.5 hrs. That's without traffic. 5pm leaving Boston will be a nightmare. It'll be many hours of stop and go all the way to Maine and you'll want to drive off a bridge just to end it. I wish I was exaggerating.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Ouch! Thanks for the warning. I was originally going to take the train but switched to driving so that I could leave downtown Portland if I wanted to. Do you think it will take more than 2.5 hours? I checked traffic online yesterday at that time and it didn't sound bad.

As far as the scenic routes, I guess all of those drives are further north?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by doctor15
Ouch! Thanks for the warning. I was originally going to take the train but switched to driving so that I could leave downtown Portland if I wanted to. Do you think it will take more than 2.5 hours? I checked traffic online yesterday at that time and it didn't sound bad.

As far as the scenic routes, I guess all of those drives are further north?
Check out a foliage map. It's been a crazy year. Never seen it peak so late this far south. Probably north of Portland is where the good leafing is this time of year. You made the right decision with the car, despite the hellish drive. You're not alone, though. I plan to drive the pike at 5pm. Nah. I'll hit happy hour until 7.

The drive to Portland will take at least 2.5 hrs. Possibly more. Gonna be a great weekend, though, so enjoy! I'm doing some hiking myself.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Last weekend, I left downtown at about 5:30 and got to Portsmouth, NH at approx. 7:30 (with one stop). Portland would be about 45-60 minutes from there.

On the way back, you could get off at Newburyport and wind you way south along 133 -- there are orchards and some farms and can have lunch in Essex or detour over to Crane Beach.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by doctor15
I don't venture outside of Boston too much by car, but decided to take a quick overnight trip to Portland, ME this weekend.

Is there a scenic route that might be worth taking to enjoy the fall season (or possibly a hike)?

Also, any ideas how bad traffic might be leaving Boston around 5pm on Friday? I'll probably try to get up there as quickly as traffic allows, then take my time getting back on a more scenic route and maybe make a stop or two.
At 5pm on a Friday, it will be BRUTAL. Much better to cut out at 3pm if possible. If you are headed into town you can take 295 at exit 44 (in Maine), but sometimes the state police set a lame@ss speed trap there. ME loves to ticket people for "Driving With Out of State Tags".

You can take the next exit (45) inbound and pick up 295 there w/no speed traps.

Off of 295, take exit 7 (Franklin) and 5-6 stoplights later you will hit Middle st. Take a right and, congratulations, you are in the Old Port.

O/H
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

OP, if you want to stop for a quick and delicious dinner (and if you love fried clams), go to Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery (just over the bridge) which is on Route 1 in the midst of the outlets. The clams and their clam chowder are out of this world.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:59 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
You can take the next exit (45) inbound and pick up 295 there w/no speed traps.
And there's no extra toll if you take exit 45 either like there is if you take exit 44. ^
Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e
And there's no extra toll if you take exit 45 either like there is if you take exit 44. ^
That was a question I was going to ask. So exit 45 is Maine Mall Road which is the toll-free exit to get onto 295? We often exit at the old Exit 6 (Scarborough) so I'm not familiar with the new exit numbers. Yeah, I know, it's been a few years since they've changed the exit #s but I'm used to Exit 6 Scarborough, Exit 3 for the Kennebunks, Exit 11 for Gray, etc.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:57 am
Ambassador, New England

Originally Posted by Analise
So exit 45 is Maine Mall Road which is the toll-free exit to get onto 295?
Correct. Exit 45 (exit 7 under the old system) puts you onto a bit of a small highway that has several exits. The first exit on that small highway brings you to the mall area, the second one puts you immediately onto 295 North toll-free.

The new exit numbers make WAY more sense than the old ones. Just between Scarborough and Westbrook, we used to have exits 6, 6A, 7, 7A, 7B, and 8. Those changed to 42, 44, 45, 46, 47, and 48 respectively.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:07 am

We're heading to Portland early Thursday morning for a long-weekend. Cannot wait!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:31 pm
Ambassador, New England

Looks like it will be a pleasant, seasonable weekend weather-wise. We've been very blessed with our weather so far this fall, I think November is going down as the warmest on record.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e
Looks like it will be a pleasant, seasonable weekend weather-wise. We've been very blessed with our weather so far this fall, I think November is going down as the warmest on record.
I so cannot wait. I need my dose of Bob's Clam Hut, Bingas Wingas, Gilberts, the Good Table, Shipyard seasonal....and of course the Portland Head Light.

LL Bean too.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:37 pm

On our drive home yesterday, I was driving on 495 south around Littleton when the sun was low enough to be right above the horizon. It was nearly blinding. A car had zoomed passed me and as the highway veered toward the left, the sun slammed us in the eyes. The driver lost control and his/her car flipped into the median. I have NEVER seen a car do that in person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.