Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Christmas Eve Dinner 2011 in Portland, Maine?

Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are spending Christmas in Portland, ME this year (actually Scarborough to be exact) to escape both the family and the heat of Houston, TX. I'd like to find a resturant that is open Christmas Eve in the area that serves the typical holiday fare (Turkey, dressing, green beans etc....) Does anyone have any suggestions?

We've done some searches online and only found seafood places. We of course will eat plenty of lobster and chowder while we are there but would like Christmas dinner to be traditional.

Thanks for any tips!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

With Christmas Eve being the feast of the seven fishes in many cultures, and Portland being so closely tied to seafood, it's probably going to be hard to get a non seafood Christmas Eve dinner in Portland.

This page

http://www.pressherald.com/life/food...010-12-15.html

Lists what was open last year on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, it could be a starting point to see if they are open this year too.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That list includes restaurants that have moved from their location in Portland, cordelli, like the Sebago Brewing Company. Drove by it over the weekend only to find it GONE! It was one of our standbys as that restaurant kept its kitchen open late unlike much of Portland (except Bingas of course).

regisp1, you might want to try going to Inn by the Sea. It's a beautiful hotel on the water just south of Portland in Cape Elizabeth. I suspect they'll have the kind of traditional Christmas meal you seek.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:19 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Analise
That list includes restaurants that have moved from their location in Portland, cordelli, like the Sebago Brewing Company. Drove by it over the weekend only to find it GONE! It was one of our standbys as that restaurant kept its kitchen open late unlike much of Portland (except Bingas of course).
Fear not, Sebago is still around. The downtown/Old Port location has just moved down the street a touch, at 211 Fore Street now (at the intersection with Franklin Arterial). There's also a location near the Maine Mall, just down the street across from Christmas Tree Shops and Michael's (on the same street as the Courtyard hotel and Homewood Suites).
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Most of the those restaurants are just fine and I would recommend calling ahead for a reservation and checking if they will have a special menu that night or not. It will be a slow evening in town. Some specific suggestions:

www.thefrontroomrestaurant.com (Owner has 3 restaurants - you might want to check out the grill room)

Twenty Milk Street - Though they look like they have special menu.

555 - www.fivefifty-five.com

Walters - www.waltersportland.com

I would recommend going to Duckfat for lunch - you will not regret it.

Also for anyone else checking out this thread - Robinhood Free Meetinghouse in Georgetown has gone out of business - closed up shop.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by lo2e
Fear not, Sebago is still around. The downtown/Old Port location has just moved down the street a touch, at 211 Fore Street now (at the intersection with Franklin Arterial). There's also a location near the Maine Mall, just down the street across from Christmas Tree Shops and Michael's (on the same street as the Courtyard hotel and Homewood Suites).
Yes - 1st floor of the new Hampton Inn. It's on the other side of Franklin Art now...
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The new Hampton Inn....is that where the Hilton Garden Inn used to be or is this an additional hotel in Portland?

Originally Posted by lo2e
Fear not, Sebago is still around. The downtown/Old Port location has just moved down the street a touch, at 211 Fore Street now (at the intersection with Franklin Arterial).
Ohh, Ok.

There's also a location near the Maine Mall, just down the street across from Christmas Tree Shops and Michael's (on the same street as the Courtyard hotel and Homewood Suites).
Yup, been there.

Saw Freeport's Christmas Parade last Friday with Santa coming down Main Street in the boat. Got a hug by the LL Bean Bear.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Analise
The new Hampton Inn....is that where the Hilton Garden Inn used to be or is this an additional hotel in Portland?
Brand new hotel, on the corner of Fore St and Franklin Art. Funny, 5-7 years ago, there were not any chain hotels in the Old Port except the Holiday Inn, now there is the Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn and the Residence Inn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.