Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cambridge advice please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Cambridge advice please

We've got a day to kill on our way from New Hampshire back to Logan. We've already spent plenty of time in Boston itself, but nothing in the Cambridge/Harvard area, so we were thinking of spending a night in Cambridge, walking through Harvard, visiting museums etc. I would appreciate any comments or advice, especially re a good centrally located hotel within walking distance of the attractions. Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:24 pm

The Sheraton Commander is right in Harvard Square.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by WChou
The Sheraton Commander is right in Harvard Square.
The OP is looking for a good hotel. The Charles Hotel and the Inn at Harvard are also in Harvard Square, which is the location you want to be in. If price is an issue, the Commander is acceptable. The restaurants in The Charles Hotel, Rialto (higher end) and Henrietta's Table (moderate), are both pretty good (although if you're a burger person, I highly recommend a visit to Mr. Bartley's).
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:29 am

I second the Charles Hotel. It's very convenient and by the River to. Besides the ones named already if you're up for a brew John Harvard's is a good place and go for a walk down Mass Ave to MIT and drop in for some Ice-Cream at Toscanini's and then head back via the river. It should take about half a day.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Third the Charles Hotel.

If you let us know what kind of food you like to eat, we can provide some more specific recommendations.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks

We booked the Charles Hotel. Not cheap, but it will be our last night in New England for the foreseeable future, so we want to do it right.

As for restauarants, we would appeciate advice as to something that is within walking distance with great New England cuisine: lobster etc.

Thanks again
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by PIONEER
Thanks

We booked the Charles Hotel. Not cheap, but it will be our last night in New England for the foreseeable future, so we want to do it right.

As for restauarants, we would appeciate advice as to something that is within walking distance with great New England cuisine: lobster etc.

Thanks again
It is well worth it.

Your a bit late in the season for great lobster but I prefer the food at Henreitta's Table over Rialto. They are both in The Charles. It's a very much farm to table menu and fresh New England produce. Rialto is about the same but Rialto is that little bit more haute cuisine.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by PIONEER
Thanks

Thanks again
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
It is well worth it.

Your a bit late in the season for great lobster but I prefer the food at Henreitta's Table over Rialto. They are both in The Charles. It's a very much farm to table menu and fresh New England produce. Rialto is about the same but Rialto is that little bit more haute cuisine.
I actually prefer Rialto to Henrietta's, but as they are very different restaurants, it's worth checking out their menus before making a decision between the two. Also, as you note, Rialto is higher end. And Henrietta's is an excellent breakfast option.

For lobster, there's a Legal Sea Foods directly adjacent to the hotel. It's a good-not-great seafood restaurant, but perfectly acceptable for a traditional New England lobster dinner.

My favorite Cambridge restaurants are Oleana and Craigie on Main, both short cab rides (or walks, if you're up to it) from Harvard Square. Rendezvous also is a good option, and is an easier reservation than either Oleana or Craigie.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
You should also check out the menus at Harvest and Upstairs on the Square -- both 5 minute walks and both have interesting menus. Won't have lobster like Legal seafoods (more like lobster fritters or lobster bisque or lobster ravioli).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.