Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Bennington, VT to Springfield, MA - best route?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Hi Folks, I will be driving from Bennington, VT to Springfield, MA in the summer. I checked Google Maps, and it looks like there are several routes that all take about the same amount of time, so I would like to take the most scenic/interesting/entertaining route. Can those of you who know this area kindly provide input on the routes I have listed below:

(1) Highway 9 to I-91 via Brattleboro,
(2) Highway 7 to I-90 via Adams/Pittsfield,
(3) Another choice??

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by rack him; Jan 30, 2011 at 9:28 am
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rack him
Hi Folks, I will be driving from Bennington, VT to Springfield, MA in the summer. I checked Google Maps, and it looks like there are several routes that all take about the same amount of time, so I would like to take the most scenic/interesting/entertaining route. Can those of you who know this area kindly provide input on the routes I have listed below:

(1) Highway 9 to I-91 via Brattleboro,
(2) Highway 7 to I-90 via Adams/Pittsfield,
(3) Another choice??

Thanks for your help.
I'm a little confused about (2), since Route 7 doesn't go through Adams. From Bennington, you can take Route 7 south through Williamstown and then through Pittsfield and Lenox, and then Route 20 south to Lee, picking up the Turnpike (I-90) in Lee. Route 7 is quite scenic from Bennington, but the problem is that you have to go through the center of Pittsfield, with several traffic lights and "city" traffic. On the other hand, downtown Pittsfield can be "entertaining" if that's your thing.

Route 9 is also a very scenic route passing through Wilmington en route to Brattleboro. I-91 passes through a lot of green on both sides but it is an Interstate, so nothing much of interest along the road.

We live in Williamstown and, unless it is in the middle of the night with no Pittsfield traffic, we actually cut from Route 7 over Route 43 south into New York state (yes, that's counterintuitive, but it's actually a tad quicker because of the Pittsfield traffic). Then you take Route 22 south all the way to I-90 east. There's a wonderful farm store on Route 22 just south of Route 43 and sometimes a flea market in New Lebanon.

If you take Route 9/I-90 and have the time, you may want to get off and wander around Northampton. If you take Route 7, Williamstown has some interesting places (Williams College, Clark Art Institute) that are worth a visit.

This advice is summer-advice. Would be different if snow/ice were an issue.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback MilesMark. Re my comment on Route 7 to Adams, thanks for the clarification on the routing - I guess I didn't zoom in on Google Maps as close as I should have.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold
If you need any other advice, feel free to PM me.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
IMO The Bennington/Brattleboro/Springfield route is best. You will only have one or two slower spots on VT9, notably Wilmington, but I take it regularly.

I just noticed this route on gMaps. Haven't tried that, I generally go all the way across to Brattleboro and catch 91.

May have to try that other route sometime...

If you were planning on stopping in Brattleboro itself, stay on route 9 when you get to I-91. Downtown is a couple of miles east of I-91.

As for "entertaining", VT9 is a nice route, couple of higher elevations and a nice view from Hogback (?) mountain. Downtown Brattleboro is pretty funky, too. The drive down 91 is so-so, but you will go past the Yankee Candle Co. if that's your sort of thing. It's not mine, but I was dragged along once and it wasn't totally unbearable.

That middle route that has you turning in Wilmington looks like it will take you through some nice mountains, but I don't know what's around there. I'm deferring the advice on the route down US7 as you already got that. The only thing I'll point out is that it is possible to hit two state high points (Graylock in MA, drive to the top, Frissell in CT, 2-3 hour loop hike) relatively easily on that route if you don't mind driving a bit extra.

And as Milesmark said, this is a summer route. I've taken 9 across VT in the heavy snow, very, very difficult traveling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.