Reload this Page >

Boston-Back Bay Hilton > Breakfast nearby

Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX LH AA AF

Hello,

I will be staying at the Back Bay Hilton on Dalton Street in Boston and would like to know of any good breakfast restaurants in the area.

As a traditional diner fan, I prefer not to have breakfast in a hotel and like to make a pilgrimage to a place with some character and a good and varied breakfast menu. I doubt that there will be any traditional diners in the area but something more homey would be a treat for me.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance for you help.

S
Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
It's not really a typical breakfast restaurant, but 'The Pour House' is more of a bar with an awesome (and fairly cheap) breakfast menu. The address is 909 Boylston Street - basically walk up Dalton St to Boylston, make a right, and it's about a block or so down on the left. I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but perhaps the fact that it's awesome 'college hangover' food might give you a sense of the atmosphere/food. I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a place with character!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:38 pm

Mike & Patty's, 12 Church St. - It's about a 10 minute walk due east. Plenty of closer places, including several Au Bon Pain, but it's worth the walk.

http://www.mikeandpattys.com/
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:26 pm

I used to live close by, and Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe is the place that comes to mind. It's probably about a 10-minute walk.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Ideally I like a good stack of pancakes, omelette or scrambled eggs, strong coffee and some fresh fruit is a great bonus if it can be had.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll saunter by these places and check them out.

S
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: Continental Silver, Amtrak Select Plus
I'm not sure if Mike and Patty's will have pancakes and seating is pretty difficult at times. Consider Billy's. Its close and has a diner feel to it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/billys-sub-shop-boston
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Billy's Sub Shop looks good too. Especially since on a Sunday morning I plan to go to Mass at the Holy Cross Cathedral which isn't too far away.

I'll be in Boston for at least three breakfasts so and can "play the field" a bit.

Thanks again for all the great tips.

S
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:56 am

The South St. Diner is nearby on Kneeland St. near South Station. This is an old diner car in downtown Boston so it's pretty cool and a favorite of mine.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:48 am
Original Poster

The South St. Diner looks like just my kind of nostalgic diner. But after googling it, I found out that they had some serious health code violations in December which required a re-inspection at the end of the month. They passed the last inspection though... But it does make you wonder.

DavedeBoston : Did you ever feel ill after a meal there?

Click this link for details of the health code violations.

http://boston.everyblock.com/restaur.../12/16/495446/
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, PriorityClub Platinum
The Back Bay doesn't have many great casual breakfast options. If you're looking for something close to the Back Bay Hilton, then Charlie's is your best bet. If you don't mind taking a cab, however, or walking farther, then the best option by far is Mike's City Diner:

http://www.mikescitydiner.com/
Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Mike's Diner has a very good website and a cool retro look. So it looks like it is worth a cab ride to get there.

Thanks for the tip.

S
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:18 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Mike's is good... Here's a clip from "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" - a show on the Food Network: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hvJhM53bCY

But as sculler1x mentioned, it's not a quick walk. It's one-mile away, so 15-20 min walk depending on your pace. Alternatively, you can take the bus by walking down Boylston St. towards Massachusetts Avenue. Cross Mass Ave and wait at the bus stop across from the Hynes Convention Center subway station. The #1 bus will take you down Mass Ave right to Washington St (I think about 8 stops down)

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 31, 2011 at 4:24 pm Reason: added bus info
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Great video. Thanks. Who can stay away from Mike's Diner after seeing that. And it is just a short walk from the Cathedral. Perfect for Lunch on Sunday.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by SwissM
The South St. Diner looks like just my kind of nostalgic diner. But after googling it, I found out that they had some serious health code violations in December which required a re-inspection at the end of the month. They passed the last inspection though... But it does make you wonder.

DavedeBoston : Did you ever feel ill after a meal there?

Click this link for details of the health code violations.

http://boston.everyblock.com/restaur.../12/16/495446/
Never been sick after eating at South St. Couple of buddies who have worked at restaurants have told me what really goes on in the kitchen when things get busy. Just like I'd be nice to the guy at the drive through window at midnight if you don't want an extra condiment on your burger haha.

I'd do up Mike's though, that place is great too!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davedeboston
Just like I'd be nice to the guy at the drive through window at midnight if you don't want an extra condiment on your burger haha.
Just the thought! That makes me want to never order any food after PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.