Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at TPA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:39 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
That may be the saddest "Premium" lineup I've ever seen. If I got to a location with a PCAR reservation, and those were the choices, I'd go to Hertz.

Where you'd be greeted by a 2013 Maxima with 45,000 miles and a bad engine noise. When you ask for the 300 you will be charged for a luxury. Then, you'd walk back over to National and ask why you wasted your time doing all of that walking.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Where you'd be greeted by a 2013 Maxima with 45,000 miles and a bad engine noise. When you ask for the 300 you will be charged for a luxury. Then, you'd walk back over to National and ask why you wasted your time doing all of that walking.
Good point.

But that really is a poor selection for "Premium".
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Does anyone else find it annoying that they leave the trunks open on every car there? I know I look like a total tool checking the model and trim on about 6 cars before I pick one but they all look the same to me with the trunks open.

Also, I've been going to the blue side lately because I assume there are more cars there, but I'm wondering if I should try the red side again to see if they have something different from the usual Camry's, Sonata's, etc.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by Marko123
Does anyone else find it annoying that they leave the trunks open on every car there? I know I look like a total tool checking the model and trim on about 6 cars before I pick one but they all look the same to me with the trunks open.

Also, I've been going to the blue side lately because I assume there are more cars there, but I'm wondering if I should try the red side again to see if they have something different from the usual Camry's, Sonata's, etc.
That's probably the point. Some kid with an MBA probably convinced management if they make cars less discernible, most folks will quickly pick one and move along.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Cars at TPA

Most people have bags to put into the trunk. Leaving it open is a convenience. I wish more stations do that.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum, National Emerald Exec Elite
Was at TPA a few weeks ago on a one-way to Naples. Selection was typical when I arrived, asked a manager about Tahoe LTZ availability and was offered an upgrade from full size for $20 or so a day. Walked over to the line of SUV's and both Tahoe LTZ's were locked so I walked back to the booth and boom - a white Tahoe LTZ pulled into ES. Gate agent grilled me about where I got the truck from as if I was trying to pull a fast one. They have a lot of these trucks floating around Florida and I often see them in ES.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:45 pm

I picked up in TPA today and it was a total gong show. There was not an upgrade to be had from the regular ho hum offerings in ES. Loads of 200's and Sonatas but not much else. I asked if I could get a suv or even a mini van but I was told because it's Easter weekend they were blocking all upgrades on ES. I took a walk over to red to see and it was even worse over there. Two ancient sedans and a Nissan pick-up on ES. Back at blue a kind chap did offer to get me a Jeep Compass (even though he said he wasn't supposed to) but I had to pass. Anyway by the time I got back to the blue side there was a brand new Charger with sirius in ES so I took that.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:23 am

Not just Easter/Passover Weekend. They started the FL driveout. I remember these forums in years past implied that upgrades tend to be held back from the EA & ES aisles during that time. They want people to pay $24.95/day for the minivan, not $9.95/day for fullsize and take the minivan for free.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:55 pm

I'd posted in another thread my need to get a GM vehicle, preferably from National, for my recent trip through Tampa on my way to St. Pete.

Had the perfect experience in the red section. Booked a midsize/intermediate with EA using my corporate rate code. Arrived in EA, there were lots of cars when I arrived and I spotted a '15 Impala LS, grabbed it and headed for the exit. On my way to the exit, noticed a '15 LTZ which as it turned out was in ES. There were more than a few cars which I believe were ES in the EA (300's).

Stopped at the booth, and explained to the attendant that I was there to work on the St. Pete Indycar event which has GM as a partner, and was going to be in a visible place, and could I possibly take the LTZ?

Guy on the booth said "you're not even supposed to have that one, but we had no room in ES for it. Go ahead and put the LS in ES and make the switch".

Turns out he was a race fan ...

YMMV, but I was a very happy customer for my 10 day rental.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:47 pm

[IMG][/IMG]

I picked up from TPA yesterday (Fri 4/10) at 7pm. The ES was at least full this time but only with the usual suspects. There were some small crossovers / suvs which were blocked on my last TPA pick up on 4/1. I took a Chevy Equinox mainly because that was where my family had parked themselves with the luggage while rolling their eyes waiting for me to finish my "ridiculous" snooping around.

The premium section had only two cars and they were a 200 and a Sonata. Yikes.

Last edited by UKOK; Apr 11, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, UA,AA
With a booked Full size with EC for end of April, are the Chrysler 300C's an upgrade fee? Do they usually sit in the PCAR section at TPA or in the ES aisle when available?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Selection was terrible this week. Had to take a RAV4, whatever that is. I think I'm going to test drive Avis next week. They're running some sort of co-branded special with AA.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: 1K, Marriott PP
TPA ES has really gone downhill in the past year. The best I can hope for these days is a Malibu.... not even LTZ.

About to start up long term travel to TPA so thinking about looking at other options there as well; will check out the Avis/AA promo.

Hertz (who I abandoned 2 years ago after getting sick of increasingly older cars) also just sent me an e-mail about completely revamping their fleet; I remain suspicious but will probably check them out at TPA as well.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:16 am

Red or Blue?

noticed that there are two sides for rentals, noticed a difference when picking up at other locations before... which one is better here?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
The red side this past weekend in Exec had a VW GTI 4 Door with the Performance Package...

For $17/day one could do much worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.