Cars at TPA

Old Sep 23, 2008, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Cars at TPA

I am wondering what is normal for a mid sized suv in Tampa as I know it is a location where you can pick your car from the lot. Do they have a section for it? Also, is the volvo v70 a full size? If so, what's the likelyhood of getting one in Tampa on christmas eve?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 3:18 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I rent frequently there. The typical 'Mid Size SUV' is the Rav4. There are tons of them. There are special sections with overhead signs that will say "Mid Size SUVs" etc.
If you are Execuitive, there may or may not be Rav4s in the Executive aisle. No matter, I just walk and take a RAV4 further down in the SUV area and have never been stopped. I Like BIG SUVs. Occasionally I find a Tahoe or two in the Executive aisle, but that is infrequent and sometimes I find biggger than a RAV4 but smaller than a Tahoe. It is always a guessing game.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, National Exec, WN A/CP
I often rent in TPA as well (I'm local) and yes, the Rav4 or the occasional Highlander or Kia of that size are normally what is in the Mid size SUV area. Ea is normally midsize or larger domestic Chevy's and such and the Executive is pot luck depending on the day.

I rented on Monday and the Exec had an Xterra, FJCruiser and Forerunner in that area. Yesterday upon my return, there were no SUVs but several minivans in Exec. I went with an Impala SS that I have no business renting let alone driving!

As for the Volvo, I believe they are full size SUVs or "special" of some size which means they won't be in any section to choose. Tampa likes to keep all of the special cars on the upgrade isle right in front of the doors. That being said, I have yet to see a V70 on the lot in Tampa.

Christmas will be peak season here so the pickings might be slim if you want something in particular.

Best of luck!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the help. I ended up booking hertz instead for various reasons, one of them being price.
Thanks,
Oewdanny
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:19 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oewdanny
thanks for the help. I ended up booking hertz instead for various reasons, one of them being price.
No, no, no, no, and no!

The Hertz location at TPA is absolutely terrible, even if they were cheaper, it's not worth it.

On a related note, I rented from this location last Friday from the regular EA ... a sea of G6's and Aura's, but I noticed a G6 with a sunroof and unusual grille against the fence, went over there and it was a GXP version (252 HP engine and 6 speed automatic). That thing is a rocketship ...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
12/17- Exec had...
8-Chevrolet Impalas (A few were loaded, leather, roof, xm, etc)
6- Chevrolet Malibus (Most were loaded, some with V6)
2- Buick Lucerne (Cloth, V6, XM)

Ended up taking a '09 Lucerne with 6k miles. Nice car, XM was awesome seeing that i put around 2,000 miles on the car. Gas mileage on mixed driving was around 23 mpg.

12/28- EA had...
7-Pontiac G6 (4 door, a few loaded GT models)
5- Chevrolet HHR
5- Chrysler PT Cruiser
4- Pontiac Vibe
3- Toyota Corolla
2- Pontiac G6 (2 door, loaded)

Exec Aisle had...
10- Chevrolet Impala
8- Chevrolet Malibu
5- Toyota Camry
3- Nissan Altima
2- Dodge Charger

Tampa's "Specialty" area had a few loaded Volvo V70 Cross Country wagons, Toyota Avalon Limited, Toyota Tundra crew cab and a few GXP G6's
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:54 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I rented at TPA 12/30 for 2 nights. Mostly Malibu's and Impala's in the Exectutive aisle, which was only about 50% full. Then, on continued looking. I found one 'gift', a Buick Lacrosse CXl, all leather. I drove it only about 250 miles, mostly highway, and got a surprising 29 mpg. A really sweet car and I generally look for SUVs.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
12/11 (actually 12/12 at 1am):

EA: About 20 cars split between HHRs, PTs, I think maybe 1 RAV4, and some sort of small Fords.

ES: 12 Base Impalas.

I ended up walking back to the fullsize section and finding a 2008 Impala that at least had a sun roof.

There were a bunch of reasonably nice but not fantastic cars in the premium section, and one Caddy (CTS?) in the Luxury section. I had a $18/day rental with one free day, so I didn't try to upgrade to the Caddy.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:44 pm

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Beckles
No, no, no, no, and no!

The Hertz location at TPA is absolutely terrible, even if they were cheaper, it's not worth it.

On a related note, I rented from this location last Friday from the regular EA ... a sea of G6's and Aura's, but I noticed a G6 with a sunroof and unusual grille against the fence, went over there and it was a GXP version (252 HP engine and 6 speed automatic). That thing is a rocketship ...
Was it the black one? Oh Yeah! Had it over New Years Eve/Day. If it weren't for so many cops out that nite I would have flew w/that baby! I wasn't thrilled w/their signage on the frontage road.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:14 am

Just picked up a car yesterday afternoon and they had the following:

EA
Tons of small Fords
PT Cruiser
HHR

ES
Lots of base Impalas and Malibus
3 Altimas
3 Dodge Chargers

I have to drive a lot over the next couple of days and was hoping for something "interesting". The only thing I could manage was a new Impala LTZ w/leather, sunroof and XM.

The funny thing was I was sitting in the car, playing with the radio and waiting to see if they brought anything else out and another guy walked up and started to put his luggage in the car before he noticed me in it! He ended up with a base Impala...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:04 pm

I would love to see something interesting on the ES when I pick up on Saturday night, 1/16. Hoping for something mid-size or bigger SUV, but you never know....
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:13 pm

It's completely potluck at TPA. I picked up a rental 2 weeks ago and the only thing in Exec were Impalas, two Town Cars and full size pick up trucks! I went with the town car for a long trip.

Monday I returned for another weekly rental and there were many minivans and Impalas again. (Usual mid size fare in EA). I actually picked a new Chyrsler Town and Country and made it to the rental booth when they brought out a Volvo S60. Backed into my spot and grabbed the Volvo.

It really wasn't large enough for my needs after Thursday so at lunchtime, I went to exchange the car. On the Exec row this time were tons of SUVs and quite a variety. Several Explorers, a Ford Edge, and several Jeep Commanders. I went with the Commander as I needed the room.

On my return Saturday afternoon, there were several smaller SUVs and even a Jeep Renegade (mind you it was freezing!) and the normal Full size options that were unimpressive.

Good luck on your find and let us know what you end up with!

PS - Upgrades are normally harder to come by at this location without a big fee (IMO)
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:25 pm

1/16 Saturday, pickup at 8pm

Exec
4 Town and Country Minivans, 2 were loaded touring editions
2 Dodge Journey crossovers
1 Towncar
1 Jeep SUV
3-4 typical full sizes

EA
4-6 typical mid-size cars
2-3 HHR's
AND 2 Mitsubushi Eclipse CONVERTABLES

There may have been a few more typical vehicles on both, but it was a pouring down rainstorm and I wanted to get on the road for my drive to Sarasota.

We took a loaded Town and Country Tourning with 887 miles on it. Sirius Satellite radio, power everything.

Return tomorrow, 1/21 and will take another quick look on the way back to the airport.

Duds
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:33 pm

Dropped off on 1/21 around 1:45pm. The Executive aisle was loaded with anything you would want. Full size cars, medium SUV's/Crossovers, larger SUV's, a couple of trucks, and a bunch of mini vans. It was absolutely packed with vehicles.

We were running late, so I didn't take note of the EA or makes and models, sorry. National is a little hard to find when you are in a hurry.

Duds

Last edited by dudspizza; Jan 23, 2010 at 8:00 pm
Old Feb 13, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
Does the TPA location have the self service kiosks? Any recent EA rental Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.