Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

No cars available for non US/Canada residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:48 am
Original Poster

This one is weird.

If I try to get a quote for a rental at any location in Canada through either Nationalcar.co.uk or Alamo.com (Unticking 'I am a resident of the United States') I get no availability at any location.

However if I attempt to do the same by either using Nationalcar.com or be leaving the 'I am a resident of the United States' box ticked on Alamo.com, I am presented with a full list of reservable classes for any date or location in Canada. It also works fine on the Canadian site.

What gives here? It's specifically removing all availability once the system realises I am a UK resident.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:23 am
Original Poster

This is still happening. Just tried again.

Pick US citizen, get a list of cars. Pick UK, get:

'Currently there are no vehicles available for the date and time you selected.'

Bizarre. Clearly vehicles are available.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Have you tried booking through alamo.co.uk or nationalcar.co.uk?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Yes - exactly the same thing. No cars available.

Any booking channel where I put down that I a non US/Canada resident instantly results in all locations in Canada sold out for all dates in 2016. As soon as I say I am a US/Canada resident, all the cars come back...
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
In case it's not obvious, I would strongly suggest calling them on the phone.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Poster

So this is still a problem.

I called them and they didn't seem to understand the issue and offered to manually quote by phone. Which is great, but that rather makes shopping with a bunch of different dates an issue and the quote they gave was huge - twice what Avis want for the same class when in my experience National/Alamo are usually more competitive (To the point where I almost always rent with them) so I didn't have the confidence that the quoted price was on the same basis as the deals the website quotes.

The operator said they would feed back about the website issues but this was nearly 2 weeks ago and it's still like it.

Not really sure how to progress this issue really.

I'd really rather not run the gauntlet with Avis who seem to have the Chrysler 300 listed as the example car for both Luxury and Premium classes (apparently you get an S in Luxury, wow, 30% more for bigger rims and nicer seats on the same car?).
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Are you trying to use a corp. code or coupon code on Nationalcar.co.uk? Have you tried other (major airport) locations?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

No coupons or corp codes - and yes, I've tried ever major airport location in Canada as a test.

Any quote you request online where the website acknowledges you are not a US or Canada citizen = no cars.

Try it yourself (if you are bored!) - For example Alamo.com, leave it ticked as a US resident = a load of cars. Do the same thing again, change residency = no cars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.