Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Does "Choose Your Car" Actually Work?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
How Does "Choose Your Car" Actually Work?

The company just got a new corporate acct with National and we will be switching over from Avis. I know about choose any car in the aisle but I can't picture how it works with a rental agreement, etc.

So you pick out the car and head for the exit - what happens? I assume you have to produce some sort of drivers license and National ID and then, do they print the agreement as you leave the lot? I'm sure it's simple, but I am just missing the mechanics of how it happens.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
For the larger airports that is how it works. You would pick the car from the aisle and drive to the exit. You would then produce your license and they will print off your rental agreement.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
In my experience they usually don't print the rental agreement unless you ask.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I haven't received a rental agreement (I haven't asked for one) in a long time. You agree to all the standard T&C as a member of the Emerald Club and this serves as your agreement for all rentals. It's a bit tedious to read as it has all the specific amendments for everywhere National operates so it's probably wise to go back and check when you rent somewhere new. On pickup you just choose a car and show your registered driver's license at the gate.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - Several more questions.

1) If you get stopped by the police, you need to prove ownership. With a rental car, it's always the rental agreement. So if they don't give you a rental agreement, how do you handle the situation? (I know - don't get stopped!)

2) They must use your DL to look up your reservation - I assume they then enter vehicle number and pickup time to generate information for payment when you return. Do they give you a receipt when you return the vehicle?
Old May 20, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Thanks - Several more questions.

1) If you get stopped by the police, you need to prove ownership. With a rental car, it's always the rental agreement. So if they don't give you a rental agreement, how do you handle the situation? (I know - don't get stopped!)

2) They must use your DL to look up your reservation - I assume they then enter vehicle number and pickup time to generate information for payment when you return. Do they give you a receipt when you return the vehicle?
I always have the reservation with me but it sounds as if you could ask for an agreement.

They do give you a receipt unless it's an after hours drop off.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
If you keep the window tag from exec aisle it has instructions for law enforcement on it to call and verify if they need to.

If your car doesnt have the tag probably best to get a printed contract.

The app also has info on your current rental but ive never tried that!
Old May 21, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info - much better idea of how to handle this.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Out of interest (as a Limey), wouldn't law enforcement officers be able to identify the vehicle as a rental when they run the license plates and before approaching the driver? Should I ask for a paper rental agreement when I come to the USA in future?

(For comparison, on-board ANPR cameras are now commonplace in most British police cars. These alert officers to untaxed, uninsured or suspect vehicles automatically).
Old May 21, 2015, 1:27 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
1 - "How does it work?" Rather well, in my opinion. I love Emerald Aisle and can't believe the other car companies don't copy it.

2 - I've never looked for it, but I've been told by National that all rental cars are still supposed to have registration (and maybe some sort of insurance?) card in the glove box.

3 - I always ask for a copy of the rental agreement when I exit and have never had a problem receiving one.
Old May 21, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
I've convinced a number of leisure travelers to rent from National becuase of the Emerald Aisle. They have told me that they will gladly pay a bit extra to avoid the long lines, preselected cars, and insurance hard sells leisure renters often complain about. The ability to select ones vehicle and often get a free upgrade is a very attractive offer.

I always ask for printed rental agreements, though the hang tag gives information about how police officers can contact National/Alamo/Enterprise if needed.

The vehicles I've rented have all had their registrations inside the glove compartment. The last one I looked at listed the owner as ERC Holdings-LAX, Tulsa, Oklahoma for a brand new California-plated vehicle I rented from LAX.

I'm not sure if other companies do it as frequently, but there are a number of reports of people choosing vehicles from Alamo and Enterprise instead, even if that location doesn't have shared locations. National also lets renters swap out vehicles at any National location if they are dissatisfied with the vehicle.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
1 - "How does it work?" Rather well, in my opinion. I love Emerald Aisle and can't believe the other car companies don't copy it.

2 - I've never looked for it, but I've been told by National that all rental cars are still supposed to have registration (and maybe some sort of insurance?) card in the glove box.

3 - I always ask for a copy of the rental agreement when I exit and have never had a problem receiving one.
I've had to produce the registration a few times with no problem. It was either in a pouch stuck above the driver's visor, or in the glovebox. Last time I looked at the insurance, the car was self-insured by Enterprise Holdings or whatever, and that info was with the registration. I can look tomorrow when I pick up my next car.

I very, very rarely rent anywhere else. It's just so much easier to use the aisle.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
National has been losing my business lately for a few reasons:

1) an illegitimate damage claim on Xmas day that they wouldn't budge on, despite a lot attendant saying "probably one of our drivers." 3k bill for some scratches I did not cause on a Xmas day free day rental, awesome.... Crappy car too!

2) almost no LCAR reservations available in the system anymore. Sorry, that sucks.

3) sweet cars available at the competition. Mustang GTs and BMW 328i's at Budget compared with Jettas and Malibus at YVR. Big bimmers and benzs at sixt for $40 a day in the U.S. with my matched sixt plat status (only 10 rentals a year needed for 2 class no limit upgrades)

I'll still make EE, but I won't double qualify like I used to... I'm definitely committed to cutting their revenue by at least as much as my false damage claim for a few years...
Old May 23, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I haven't received a rental agreement (I haven't asked for one) in a long time.
I get some sort of a printed document from the booth every time without asking. Is that a rental contract or just a receipt? If the former, maybe procedure differs depending on local laws.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: Emerald Club Exec, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by _kurt
I get some sort of a printed document from the booth every time without asking. Is that a rental contract or just a receipt? If the former, maybe procedure differs depending on local laws.
It's probably the rental agreement. I always get one when I rent as well. Good to have in case you have to deal with police...in most of the cars I've rented the registration paperwork has been in the glovebox.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.