Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SUV Happy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by fintheman
Can anyone explain why solo business travelers seem to flock to the largest SUVs they could rent in their reservation?

Without fail, getting off the shuttle in various airports (FLL, IAH, LAX, etc.,) It is like people run to get any SUVs on the lot.
Simple. Overcompensating...just like any other SUV driver.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JustDean
Simple. Overcompensating...just like any other SUV driver.
Now there's a first post...
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
If I'm with my family, I take the SUV because I need the extra room.

If I'm solo, I take the SUV because it offers the greatest survivability in a collision. As a safety engineer, I come by it honestly
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by javabytes
Now there's a first post...
+1

I like SUVs and crossovers since I just find it nicer to be higher up from the road. Also if they have 4WD/AWD that's nice especially in the winter... my friend has a house in Park City at one of the resorts and for a good portion of the winter you can't get to his house with just 2WD.

That's not to say I like huge SUVs -- I got an Acadia once just for the hell of it, and an Armada another time (this is from Hertz btw) when I needed the space. Those were okay to drive; I think a Tahoe could be fun but certainly isn't necessary most of the time.

-J.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I keep coming back to this thread as I keep ruminating on it in the back of my head for some strange reason. I've, personally, distilled it down to a few use cases I myself engage in and a few justifications that others make that I do not (right or wrong not withstanding):

My own:

1.) Grand Cherokee from ES offers more features and luxury than anything else on the row.
2.) Otherwise poor EA/ES selection so I'm stuck with some SUV that isn't a GC (depressingly frequent at TUL with ES usually being pick-your-color Captiva, though I normally book PCAR here).
3.) I have 4+ people with luggage and there aren't any minivans available or they are base trim, at which point I'll take a Tahoe or Suburban.
4.) I need 4WD (exceedingly rare for me).

Others:

1.) I drive a large truck or SUV at home and feel more comfortable in one..
2.) Safety, survivability, visibility, ride-height, etc.
3.) It makes me feel good about myself.

I guess, to me, if I can't secure a preferred PCAR (Genesis, Lacrosse, Cadenza, Azera, Taurus Limited, 300... in that order) or one of a handful of other sedans (Fusion Titanium, Mazda6, Passat, Verano) then an IFAR/IRAR or SFAR/SRAR is pretty much interchangeable with most ICAR/SCAR/FCARs.

What I don't do myself is go for a Tahoe/Suburban/etc when I'm by myself and have no specific legitimate need for one (passengers/luggage or 4WD). My boss normally will even if it's just me and him, but his daily driver is also a Suburban. Before this thread popped up I was much more critical of those who took one of these barges by themselves for no clear reason, but it seems there are some passably legitimate reasons I hadn't considered or wouldn't personally consider myself... along with a few folks still just compensating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.