FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SUV Happy?
Thread: SUV Happy?
View Single Post
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:44 am
IsleOfMan

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I keep coming back to this thread as I keep ruminating on it in the back of my head for some strange reason. I've, personally, distilled it down to a few use cases I myself engage in and a few justifications that others make that I do not (right or wrong not withstanding):

My own:

1.) Grand Cherokee from ES offers more features and luxury than anything else on the row.
2.) Otherwise poor EA/ES selection so I'm stuck with some SUV that isn't a GC (depressingly frequent at TUL with ES usually being pick-your-color Captiva, though I normally book PCAR here).
3.) I have 4+ people with luggage and there aren't any minivans available or they are base trim, at which point I'll take a Tahoe or Suburban.
4.) I need 4WD (exceedingly rare for me).

Others:

1.) I drive a large truck or SUV at home and feel more comfortable in one..
2.) Safety, survivability, visibility, ride-height, etc.
3.) It makes me feel good about myself.

I guess, to me, if I can't secure a preferred PCAR (Genesis, Lacrosse, Cadenza, Azera, Taurus Limited, 300... in that order) or one of a handful of other sedans (Fusion Titanium, Mazda6, Passat, Verano) then an IFAR/IRAR or SFAR/SRAR is pretty much interchangeable with most ICAR/SCAR/FCARs.

What I don't do myself is go for a Tahoe/Suburban/etc when I'm by myself and have no specific legitimate need for one (passengers/luggage or 4WD). My boss normally will even if it's just me and him, but his daily driver is also a Suburban. Before this thread popped up I was much more critical of those who took one of these barges by themselves for no clear reason, but it seems there are some passably legitimate reasons I hadn't considered or wouldn't personally consider myself... along with a few folks still just compensating.