Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Permanently Renting Instead of Owning

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by Chihster
Sorry, one thing is not very clear to me... when you "rollover" the contract month-to-month, or even week-to-week, do you first make separate bookings online then just ask the car rental company to change to the new contract/booking after the first one expires?? Or do you ask the rental company to do a new contract using the same terms from the old booking??

The first way would mean prices would change from contract to contract, while the second way should mean prices are pretty much fixed.

Thanks.
I rented for several consecutive months early 2015 and what I did was that I made 3 or 4 monthly reservations for months ahead so I could apply monthly coupons to each reservation. When I returned the car at the end of the month I informed the receiption that I have another reservation and i'd like to keep the car and they had no problem with that and they issued a new contract for the following month with the same price.

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Also, be aware that some credit card policies stipulate that you cannot rent for more than X days in the last Y days (e.g. coverage is removed if a car is rented for more than 30 days in the last 90 days). It's worth spending time reading through the T&Cs.
If you have 2 credit cards you can switch between them on monthly basis.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's much easier - and much cheaper - to do this process with local locations (ie Anaheim, etc) vs the airport.
Is there another local location other than Anaheim in the area? National app doesn't pull up anything else that's not at an airport. I'd like to start renting permanently, but Anaheim is a little too far out of the way
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Wiley
Is there another local location other than Anaheim in the area? National app doesn't pull up anything else that's not at an airport. I'd like to start renting permanently, but Anaheim is a little too far out of the way
Not that I know of...the only other locations I've seen pop up at airports, but you could do the same thing at an airport location where the specific location has a low airport tax hit, just try different combinations until you find one.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Out of curiosity, what is the rates that some of y'all are getting? If you don't feel comfortable posting you can always PM!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dtremit
That's remarkable. I just did the math for Boston, and it'd be $65 just for parking and taxes to redeem two free days
Walls work, folks! ^
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:03 pm

It's worth it to me since I rack up thousands of miles a month. Taking advantage of the Florida Drive In or Out deals and cheap flights and cheap gas definitely helps cut the cost down, plus I can take a "forced vacation" every month.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Anyone seen any good monthly deals? Lately the prices have jumped double on the monthly rates.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by creditcardgeek
Out of curiosity, what is the rates that some of y'all are getting? If you don't feel comfortable posting you can always PM!
Yeah I'm curious about the rates as well. I am paying $1,108 for a month on a PCAR res on the full size price and wondering can it be lowered like around $800-$900 at a mid size rate? I calculated my per month cost besides gas which would be a lease and insurance the cost would be around $700 a month for a car but only with around 35,000 miles over 36 months or so which isn't great. That is around 972 miles per month and so far I've driven this rental 650 in one week. Willing to pay a little bit more for basically unlimited miles but I would probably want to add liability coverage to go along with my credit cards CDW coverage. My Amex can cover I think 30 days straight and 2 of my citi cards does as well so I would rotate them. I believe my citi cards cover $100,000 and my Amex will cover $50,000? I am using Amex premium coverage because I wanted primary at the time I opted into it.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Also, be aware that some credit card policies stipulate that you cannot rent for more than X days in the last Y days (e.g. coverage is removed if a car is rented for more than 30 days in the last 90 days). It's worth spending time reading through the T&Cs.

My citi thank you premier states you are covered if the rental is no more than 31 consecutive days and that's it. As is with my citi AAdvantage Plat. Both cover $100,000 in damages so I could switch between both cards. Also have Amex premium coverage which is primary which is 30 days I believe but I would have to look that up
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:59 am

Just spent a good deal of time reading through this amazing thread. Now just wondering what type of status you guys must have.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
Insurance with TD Meloch Monex (Canada), rentals are auto covered under the grand touring package (Annual fee of ~99$) but provides rental protection as well as a few other benefits.
How much is your deductible? Personally, I would not risk a personal auto insurance with a rental car, knowing how much they are allergic to small "scratches"and "dents".

Credit card rental insurances in Canada often end up being $0 deductible.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:07 am

Just curious... how many miles (or km)/year are you guys driving? I do about 25,000-50,000 miles/year, so the economics of this look mighty interesting to me.

My biggest hesitation is that I tend to own unusual cars, either limited runs (~1,800 ever made) or factory-custom cars. I like all of the bells & whistles. I had a GMC Acadia from Alamo last year that was just about fully loaded which wasn't bad. Certainly not a car I'd want to own long-term, but for the ~2 week period I had it, quite pleasant.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 6:16 pm

I'm really curious about the rates everyone is getting or at least the negotiating part when it comes to national. I've so far gotten rates from costco travel and autoslash and it seems I'm getting around $600 a month with Budget for a midsize after taxes which is about $20 a day from the airport. Non airport locations actually give worse rates online.

I'd much prefer national just because whenever I used them it's always been a very smooth process but how is everyone getting their rates? Negotiated contract rates via your employer or did you guys negotiate it yourselves and get assigned your own contract id? I am really considering this so any tip is appreciated, thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
Anybody have a suggestion/recommendation on who to use for non owner's liability coverage? I am going to be renting approx 100-120 days this year, and figure I should look into it; problem is, Liberty Mutual doesn't offer it, and I know MA has some weird insurance laws.

Any tips on who I can look at for this? I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve for the collision damage waiver, but liability I've been unprotected the past year or so.

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ender4576
Anybody have a suggestion/recommendation on who to use for non owner's liability coverage? I am going to be renting approx 100-120 days this year, and figure I should look into it; problem is, Liberty Mutual doesn't offer it, and I know MA has some weird insurance laws.

Any tips on who I can look at for this? I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve for the collision damage waiver, but liability I've been unprotected the past year or so.

Thanks!
Check with the insurance branch of your local AAA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.