Reload this Page >

Points.com buyer beware

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points.com buyer beware

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
+1 Blsnk! Cubaninfla debiera pedir a su amiga su numero DL & contrasena para poder log-in & utilizar las miles directamente del conto de la amiga. Se puede emitar un boleto para cualquiera persona.

Cubaninfla should ask his friend for her DL account # & password, then log-in & use the friend's miles directly to issue a ticket for him/herself or anyone else!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:26 pm

Why didn't you check before you bought the points?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:20 pm

Points.com: unethical (but legal). Just horrible---I can't imagine ever doing business with it. I would cheerfully burn miles on a magazine subscription over trying to get rip off exchange. Reminds me of some sleazy check cashing business.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
No scam here.
It is painful to make mistakes like this,
as they are not reversible,
but providing you are careful,
points.com has been useful.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Its sucks to make this mistake but points.com does have some uses...its one of the reasons why i haven't fully checked out of Amex MR program as you can trade Aeroplan miles to Dividend Miles more a relatively decent ratio 1:0.79...not great but it used to let me transfer my MR points to Star Alliance. And now its a great way to avoid to hefty fuel surcharges by BA.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
For once or twice in its lifetime, points.com offered good exchange rates in Dec. 2012 from Priority Club to Amtrak & from Amtrak to Asia Miles. So good in fact that several of us grabbed the bargain, only to see points.com reverse/ rescind the exchanges, claiming that they had made a "mistake."
That's a reason to call points.com a scam: If a customer makes a mistake or finds out that the rate is unfair, the transaction is "irreversible." But if points.com has second thoughts about the rate, it is reversible!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Brendan
For once or twice in its lifetime, points.com offered good exchange rates in Dec. 2012 from Priority Club to Amtrak & from Amtrak to Asia Miles. So good in fact that several of us grabbed the bargain, only to see points.com reverse/ rescind the exchanges, claiming that they had made a "mistake."
That's a reason to call points.com a scam: If a customer makes a mistake or finds out that the rate is unfair, the transaction is "irreversible." But if points.com has second thoughts about the rate, it is reversible!
Well now.. I DO remember that,
and indeed, that memorable transaction was reversed on me.

So yes, points.com is a scam.

Last edited by MrHalliday; Apr 4, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by cubaninfla
I dont think is an scam but it is definitely a robbery. how would you pay so much to transfer points from account to another account when you earned those points flying, staying in hotels or expending money using your credit card. Some smart ... came out with this idea and some dumb ones fall into it. Think about it. My friend who for health problems cant travel anymore wanted to transfer me her miles 30K from her Delta to mine. Delta said the cost was $300. With those 30K you can get a flight from PBI to LGA for 30K plus a fee. The same flight cost $263 if paid with cash. .... Any way, I would never do business with this people. Hope every smart one out there do the same.
You do realize you are responding to a post that is over eight years old.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:10 am

Over the past 8 years, points.com exchange rates have become less bad. Back then 1000 USAir miles would getcha an insultingly low 40 or 50 miles on another airline. Today you get 197 DL or 425 Cathay miles, with other airlines in the 200s. Some rates, such as out of Speedway Gasoline or Esso Extra, are actually (close to) fair!
Still there is no robbery because the definition of robbery is 'stealing by force or threat against the victim.' Points.com has never forced anyone to accept their lousy exchange rates or pay their excessive fees! Anyway, they are unethical. What is the correct term for exploiting someone's ignorance, stupidity or desperation?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:03 am

Points.com charges worse exchange rates if you put your location as Canadian provinces (something to do with being a Canadian company and tax issues most likely)

Aeroplan to Asia Miles is around 1:0.7 and US Airways is 1:0.84 (but can only convert 100k per year)

Those are actually pretty decent rates
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Originally Posted by crimsona
Points.com charges worse exchange rates if you put your location as Canadian provinces (something to do with being a Canadian company and tax issues most likely)

Aeroplan to Asia Miles is around 1:0.7 and US Airways is 1:0.84 (but can only convert 100k per year)

Those are actually pretty decent rates
Can you convert DL miles into AA for example?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:00 am

No exchange out of Delta, only in.

You can trade with other members, but at $30 USD + 1 cent a mile... and the offers are usually terrible
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Choice Hotels Gold
I only use Points.com as a wallet that shows me how many miles/points I have in each account I have. The only times i've ever bought points or miles have been

1. Jetblue Points when you could redeem 100 or 200 true blue points for a RT.
2. US Airways Dividend Miles

Both times I did because there was a 100% bonus involved and it was directly from the airline.

I thought points.com was for trading miles with other members. I've never done it because its so expensive to do as others have pointed out, makes it kind of pointless to waste your time and money on points.com.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by AirworldDave
I thought points.com was for trading miles with other members.
Anyone who does that needs to see a psychiatrist. The rates people want are double or triple what it costs to buy the miles/points legally.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AA, CX Asia Miles, United MileagePlus, HHonors
The main thing that keeps me from using Points.com is this bit I read on a travel blog:

The reader purchased points for an airline frequent flyer program using Points.com. A few weeks later the reader goes to log in to his frequent flyer account and it has been closed. He contacts the airline and they tell him to contact Points.com. Points.com will only tell him that his Points.com account is closed.

At this point he reached out to me, and I happened to know someone at the airline. I contacted them and was told that Points.com requested that the airline shut down the frequent flyer account, and the airline complied.

After the reader repeatedly contacted Points.com he was finally told that the frequent flyer account was shut down because he had initiated a dispute through his credit card company. Except that he had never done this.

The moral of the story is this: Points.com has the power to shut down your frequent flyer accounts with, apparently, no recourse.
http://www.onlinetravelreview.com/20...ut-points-com/

Is this something to be concerned about? If not, why not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.