Reload this Page >

Quebec Bill 791: Regulations for rewards programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quebec Bill 791: Regulations for rewards programs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
The New Yorker magazine has a weekly "Caption Contest", where they show a cartoon and invite people to submit captions.

(Not sure what the prize is, besides the honor and glory of winning. Maybe a signed copy of the cartoon with the winning caption.)

It specifically excludes the Quebecoise from entering.

The point being, I am fairly sure that the New Yorker Cartoon Caption Contest is not ripping people off. Rather, their counsel thought that there is no conceivable upside in letting Quebecoise participate, since it might run afoul of something or another. Why voluntarily subject oneself to unknown/unknowable legal liability, or the hassle of dotting every i and crossing every t, when you can choose not to.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
It specifically excludes the Quebecoise from entering.
I do not find this exclusion in the online rules:

http://www.newyorker.com/about/caption-contest-rules
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mia
I do not find this exclusion in the online rules:

http://www.newyorker.com/about/caption-contest-rules
The New Yorker has apparently updated its rules recently. I found a blog posting from mid-2015, which analyzed the winner captions and included the fine print:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Each week, we provide a cartoon in need of a caption. You, the reader, submit your caption below, we choose three finalists, and you vote for your favorite… Any resident of the United States, Canada (except Quebec), Australia, the United Kingdom, or the Republic of Ireland age eighteen or older can enter or vote.

Edit: The current rules do not mention any geographic restrictions at all. Anyone over 13 who is not an employee/family member/etc. can participate.

Last edited by Spent_All_My_Miles; Aug 13, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Does the New Yorker even publish a French language version?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.