Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott conversion points to AA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Marriott conversion points to AA

Is converting 70,000 miles into 25,000 AA miles with a 5,000 bonus or 30,000 a good deal. I have just received this offer from Marriott and AA
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sojan
Is converting 70,000 miles into 25,000 AA miles with a 5,000 bonus or 30,000 a good deal. I have just received this offer from Marriott and AA
It's a personal decision, but I tend to get more value from 70,000 Marriott points than I do from 30,000 AA miles. (And I like and regularly use both of them.)

The greatest value in Marriott is reaching the Travel Package level (300,000-400,000 total points to redeem). If I felt like 70k was all I'd ever have to work with, the miles might look a *little* more appealing. But I think I'd still opt to redeem for hotel rooms unless I needed the 30k AA immediately for a large flight award.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Agree, it really depends on what one's travel needs and goals are. If you have use for 70K Marriott points, and don't have a particular near-to-mid-term need for 30K AA miles, I'd leave them sit. On the other hand if you could make use out of the miles more than the hotel points, make the transfer. A good deal isn't a good deal, if the end result doesn't provide you with a useful benefit.

Me personally, I have no real use for Marriott or most hotel points based on my travel patterns and plans for the next year or so. All other things being equal, I'd get much more out of the AA miles. However I still wouldn't do this transfer as I have enough AA miles for now and am planning to use other miles in the nearer term. We now have the ability to transfer Marriott to SPG points (1 SPG per 3 Marriott), and SPG has (for now) many airline partners (including AA) and the 5K bonus per 20K transferred. So I'd probably leave my points alone for when I need some flexibility to top up balances in other airline programs when the need arises.

Just my perspective - there's no right or wrong, really - just spend some time figuring out what's right for you.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
remember you can convert those MR points into SPG points as well at a 3:1 ratio (I think thats the ratio) to open up some more hotel options.

as stated by others, I find more value in the hotel redemption than I do the air package unless I do the large conversion of a hotel cat cert and airline miles; those are great but you need way more than 70K to do that
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
remember you can convert those MR points into SPG points as well at a 3:1 ratio (I think thats the ratio) to open up some more hotel options.

as stated by others, I find more value in the hotel redemption than I do the air package unless I do the large conversion of a hotel cat cert and airline miles; those are great but you need way more than 70K to do that
In the UK I think MR - SPG is 2:1.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tilly71
In the UK I think MR - SPG is 2:1.
I've never heard of Marriott to SPG being different in different countries. If it is, do you have a link to prove that?

Did you realize the MR abbreviation in this thread is for Marriott Rewards, even though it stands for Membership Rewards (Amex) in many other threads?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: whatever gets me where i want
Might be slightly off topic, but I'm considering Marriot > SPG > Aeroplan. Currently a %20 bonus from AE for transfers from hotel partners. So, 70k Marriott = 23300 SPG = 28300 AE * %20 = 33,960. Still considering whether this is a good deal as I struggle to find a good use for Marriott points.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I've never heard of Marriott to SPG being different in different countries. If it is, do you have a link to prove that?
The OP was using MR for Membership Rewards.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The OP was using MR for Membership Rewards.
One poster correctly (for this thread) used "those MR points" to refer to Marriott Rewards, then the next poster ("the OP" you refer to) was who assumed it meant Membership Rewards.

It's Marriott Rewards to SPG that is 3:1 (announced only a couple months ago as one of the first steps in the merger between Marriott and Starwood).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.