Community
Wiki Posts
Search

living in Vancouver, Canada - Looking for advices, tips and a few websites

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

I am brand new to frequent flyer/ miles travel...
I have been doing some reading on the forum and found that some people have suggested instead of racking up credit cards that it is wiser to travel smarter and to look for cheap ticket deals.

-Which website i could go to for cheap flights?
- Any other website i should bookmark when it comes to travel.

Also i am living in vancouver, Canada.

-Any credit cards recommended in canada.

I just got one of the aeroplan american express not mastercard. it has a 20,000 reward miles bonus. not that much but decent. I am thinking of getting a visa/or mastercard with no annual fee but good rewards. I was doing some research and looks like capital one had some decent ones. the reason for it is that my mastercard gets often deny in a few stores.

- Any good post that you will consider must read in the forum.

- what has been your strategy/plan when it comes to traveling?

thanks a bunch

Last edited by babydiams; Mar 30, 2013 at 10:54 am
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP

I'm also in Vancouver and it's hard to come across good deals up here =p
for where to look, you can try thepointsguy.com and look at his Canada articles. and thepoinster.ca for a few more
I also find it hard to find a lot so hopefully this thread finds something =]
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imslippy
I'm also in Vancouver and it's hard to come across good deals up here =p
for where to look, you can try thepointsguy.com and look at his Canada articles. and thepoinster.ca for a few more
I also find it hard to find a lot so hopefully this thread finds something =]
Thanks for the links provided. hopefully this thread will provide a gold of information for us.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:19 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Alaska Air credit card gives you the annual companion ticket for $100 or so dollars.
Airline dining for miles-tons of restaurants in YVR that will add up fast especially is taking clients out. Link to register directly from your individual airline web site
And don't forget Hotel points..assuming you'll stay nights to go with your travels? Starwood properties are the preferred choice IMHO!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bigshaker
Alaska Air credit card gives you the annual companion ticket for $100 or so dollars.
Airline dining for miles-tons of restaurants in YVR that will add up fast especially is taking clients out. Link to register directly from your individual airline web site
And don't forget Hotel points..assuming you'll stay nights to go with your travels? Starwood properties are the preferred choice IMHO!
Thanks Bigshaker... can you share with us your travel strategy? is there a post where you would already outlined it? My guess would be that you re fond of miles. how do you go about accruing them?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bigshaker
I look into the alaska air credit card... it seems Canadians cannot apply for it.
But i have a question regarding the companion ticket.. does it mean if i buy a ticket to go to australia and that would cost 1500$ for example. My companion can have her ticket for 100$?
it s my first time i come accross the annual companion ticket concept.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond

I'm not aware of an aeroplan MasterCard with 20k sign up bonus. What bank is this from? Can you please elaborate.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M Singh
I'm not aware of an aeroplan MasterCard with 20k sign up bonus. What bank is this from? Can you please elaborate.
Sorry I meant American Express
this is the link https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...lan-gold-card/
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by babydiams
I look into the alaska air credit card... it seems Canadians cannot apply for it.
But i have a question regarding the companion ticket.. does it mean if i buy a ticket to go to australia and that would cost 1500$ for example. My companion can have her ticket for 100$?
it s my first time i come accross the annual companion ticket concept.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, babydiams!

We most definitely can get the Alaska credit card, I have 2, my husband has 1. They have a Canadian MasterCard as well as the US versions. Go to the AS website and look under credit cards, then look for the Canadian Mastercard tab. But the companion certificate is only good on AS metal, which is fine with me as I fly AS a lot. It is very useful for a trip to Hawaii, for example, whether from YVR or BLI. There are tons of threads on it, try the AS forum or the Credit Card forum.

But I also have 2 US credit cards and am working my way to more, all from info I found here, mostly on the Credit Cards forums. Take a few days, do some heavy reading and you will find a huge wealth of info here. I almost went blind my first couple of months here reading everything I could. Then asking questions specific to what I needed. I have only been a posting member for 4 months (previous long time lurker) but I am a million miles from where I started ('scuse the pun)

Edit: Here is the link from the AS site (click on Canada Mastercard tab): https://www.applyonlinenow.com/us/al...3697861-551623

Last edited by Finkface; Mar 30, 2013 at 11:20 am Reason: Edited to add link.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG AMB, Marriott Gold
I also live in Vancouver and had been 1K with UA for more than 3 years now. I obtained my status through frequent flying. Most of my flights originate from SEA (sadly) and it had been really rewarding despite the little struggle to get to SEA either through bus or train. As for cheap tickets, it's HERE at FT that I always find my runs.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Welcome to FlyerTalk, babydiams!

We most definitely can get the Alaska credit card, I have 2, my husband has 1. They have a Canadian MasterCard as well as the US versions. Go to the AS website and look under credit cards, then look for the Canadian Mastercard tab. But the companion certificate is only good on AS metal, which is fine with me as I fly AS a lot. It is very useful for a trip to Hawaii, for example, whether from YVR or BLI. There are tons of threads on it, try the AS forum or the Credit Card forum.

But I also have 2 US credit cards and am working my way to more, all from info I found here, mostly on the Credit Cards forums. Take a few days, do some heavy reading and you will find a huge wealth of info here. I almost went blind my first couple of months here reading everything I could. Then asking questions specific to what I needed. I have only been a posting member for 4 months (previous long time lurker) but I am a million miles from where I started ('scuse the pun)

Edit: Here is the link from the AS site (click on Canada Mastercard tab): https://www.applyonlinenow.com/us/al...3697861-551623
Wooow I m going to dive and soak in the knowledge in here.
I lived in the states for a while and have a SSN... But not sure about applying since I don't have an address anymore in the states... Learning that I can apply for Us cards is a major wake up call for me. Thanks a bunch for that.

I am curious to know what are the 2 us cards you have.

Thanks a million.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Do look into the Alaska card - it has more utility (for AA) now than in years past.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1kdreamer
I also live in Vancouver and had been 1K with UA for more than 3 years now. I obtained my status through frequent flying. Most of my flights originate from SEA (sadly) and it had been really rewarding despite the little struggle to get to SEA either through bus or train. As for cheap tickets, it's HERE at FT that I always find my runs.
For the cheap tickets do you look it up into the Budget Travel section or do you have another section that you usually browse through?

Thanks a bunch
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Wooow I m going to dive and soak in the knowledge in here.
I lived in the states for a while and have a SSN... But not sure about applying since I don't have an address anymore in the states... Learning that I can apply for Us cards is a major wake up call for me. Thanks a bunch for that.

I am curious to know what are the 2 us cards you have.

Thanks a million.
My first was a Capital One no fee card. Then, within a week, my United Plus Mastercard arrived. The United was unexpected as I had gotten a letter from them saying I had to submit proof of income before they would approve me. i didn't as I already had the Cap One but the United card arrived the following week anyway. I had heard (on here) that Capital One approves everyone so that's why I tried them first. Small limit to start, $1,000, but I used it and paid it, used it and paid it and within the first month, got a notice that my limit had already been increased. More of the same since then. I use it for a small purchase every month and pay it off. All of this thanks ot the advice I got in the Credit Card forum.

I am told it is easy to get a secured card but I didn't want that as I wanted one that actually reported to the credit bureaus.

But definitely get at least one Canadian AS Mastercard. 25,000 sign up bonus and the free companion cert. I fly AS all the time out of BLI.

Last edited by Finkface; Mar 30, 2013 at 3:03 pm
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:01 pm

For the cheap tickets do you look it up into the Budget Travel section or do you have another section that you usually browse through?

Thanks a bunch
The Mileage Run Deals forum is awesome. There are separate forums within for Good Deals on various cabins - Economy, Premium Economy and Premium Fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.