Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Efficient way to earn points buying a used car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

Person-to-person transaction, no dealership.
Things that occurred to me were Square, prepaid cards, etc.
I think the person would like a traditional check; is there any way I can do a vanilla bean kind of deal to charge and cash out/deposit the price and then write a check from my account?

Any suggestions? TYIA
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
Person-to-person transaction, no dealership.
Things that occurred to me were Square, prepaid cards, etc.
I think the person would like a traditional check; is there any way I can do a vanilla bean kind of deal to charge and cash out/deposit the price and then write a check from my account?

Any suggestions? TYIA
Load to BB, have BB send them a check
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:56 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Gotta love BB haha.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
BB?
Bluebird?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Load to BB, have BB send them a check
Does the standard upload limit per day apply, and what's the status/ease of being able to load BB right now? I haven't paged through every page of the main Bluebird thread.

If anyone can give me a quick step-by-step for this method, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:58 am

Buy a ton of vanilla reloads, load to bb, bb sends check to seller... Drive away
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I've never accepted a check for a used car, and I've never heard of anyone other than a dealer who does.

If you want a step by step for loading cards, there's a clear explanation at Million Mile Secrets, but in my experience as a car owner for way too many decades...don't expect a private individual to accept check for a used car. Maybe it's a regional thing but there's no way I'd take a piece of scribbled on paper in exchange for a car. If the guy has check, hey, I have the car, we can go to the bank right there and he can pull out the cash. You know? It's too much money to risk being scammed. Maybe if you're buying the car from a relative, this would work, but otherwise...I'm not seeing it.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by peachfront
I've never accepted a check for a used car, and I've never heard of anyone who does.
I did about a month ago, but I held the car and title for 2 weeks after.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peachfront
I've never accepted a check for a used car, and I've never heard of anyone other than a dealer who does.

If you want a step by step for loading cards, there's a clear explanation at Million Mile Secrets, but in my experience as a car owner for way too many decades...don't expect a private individual to accept check for a used car. Maybe it's a regional thing but there's no way I'd take a piece of scribbled on paper in exchange for a car. If the guy has check, hey, I have the car, we can go to the bank right there and he can pull out the cash. You know? It's too much money to risk being scammed. Maybe if you're buying the car from a relative, this would work, but otherwise...I'm not seeing it.

It's a family member, so we can stop speculating.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:07 pm

It's a family member, so we can stop speculating.
Those are the worst!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: Several dozen
+1

Originally Posted by erik123
Those are the worst!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the person would like a traditional check
In general:

Used car sellers almost always want something like a cashier's check (the kind you can only get from a bank teller, in person, and which costs a few bucks) or cash, meaning something that can't possibly bounce.

It's a family member
(You should have explained that form the beginning!)

Oh, in that case, maybe Paypal or one of the equivalent services? There might be a more straightforward way to use a miles/points earning credit card with an online money transfer than with a physical check.

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:44 pm

Those are the worst!
LMFAO, well done.

Another option might be to ask the family member if they have any big ticket purchases coming up from a vendor that accepts cc which you can pay for...

Cheers
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:33 am

Well, our poster is WRITING the check, but yeah, as a general rule, Of COURSE "those are the worst." I no longer take checks from friends and family members for a very simple reason. There are no consequences when they bounce the check, so it's inevitable that some of them do bounce the check. What, you're going to call the sheriff on a friend/family member? No, you just end up being ripped off.

It also just doesn't make any sense. It's a friend or family member. They know where you are, and you know where they are. If they had the cash, they can go to the bank at any time at their convenience and then get the cash to you. You can even meet for lunch and do it. If they only had the cash. But they don't! That's why they're trying to give you a scribbled on piece of paper in the first place.

I personally wouldn't write a check to a friend or family member. I give them cash if they sell me an item. To me, no amount of miles is worth making someone close to me "wonder" what the hustle is. Besides, the friend or family member is probably already giving me a crazy discount or the full background behind what I'm buying. I need to screw around with gift cards and games too? Don't think so.

Those are the worst!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:39 am

There has been considerable cashier's check fraud over the past decade so, no, I never advise this and haven't accepted these for years. It's a friend/family member. If you have the cash, go to the bank with the friend/family member. Get the cash. They must be going to meet at the DMV anyway to change the titles and plates on the car. Forget trying to hit up the family member for miles as well as for the car, which you are probably already getting cheaper than the random off the street buyer...

Originally Posted by sdsearch
In general:

Used car sellers almost always want something like a cashier's check (the kind you can only get from a bank teller, in person, and which costs a few bucks) or cash, meaning something that can't possibly bounce.

(You should have explained that form the beginning!)

Oh, in that case, maybe Paypal or one of the equivalent services? There might be a more straightforward way to use a miles/points earning credit card with an online money transfer than with a physical check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.